Apple Music/Itunes...can't select individual songs, anymore?

Reaction score
I updated to 10.15.6 and it seems I have lost the option to select individual songs to sync on itunes/Apple Music! Is this how it should be?? When I connect the phone and then go up to music in Apple Music, it shows a full list of the library, but the boxes in front of each one do not exist, anymore! I contacted Apple, but they don't appear to know anything. After going through two reps, I was finally told a senior rep would have to call me. UGH! Seriously?? I jumped on my older laptop with the previous operation system and the option is still there....but, it freezes on me and my phone ios doesn't appear to work with the older version on Mac. :(

Is this option gone? I do not do actual Apple Music...just my own stuff...and I don't want everything in my library on my phone at one time nor do I want everything from artists on there, either. Is there a work-around?

Thanks!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Something is not right with your setup then. According to Apple's own instructions, individual selections can still be made from your iTunes library.

Here are Apple's instructions:

Note that these instructions are for Catalina 10.15.6.

OP
carrie640
Reaction score
In those instructions, it appears you have to select larger groups...playlists, albums, artists. I don't see an option there to select individual tunes? Maybe 1 song from Michael Jackson, for example..and not everything from him or from an album. Thank you for your help!

Something is not right with your setup then. According to Apple's own instructions, individual selections can still be made from your iTunes library.

Here are Apple's instructions:

Note that these instructions are for Catalina 10.15.6.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Well, the instructions clearly say otherwise:

"Select the checkbox for the individual items you want to sync in the music list. Deselect the checkbox for any item you don’t want to sync."

Have you tried doing it the way the Apple instructions state?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
You need to use Finder to Sync to devices with macOS Catalina, not Music.

OP
carrie640
Reaction score
In another window other than in the sync preferences tab, there was a list of what was in the library..it was listed by individual songs. You could check each one and then in the preferences where it gives you the options of full library or by genre, album, etc, you would select FULL LIBRARY. On the front page of that towards the bottom, you could check the sync only checked items....and it would do the full library under those checked conditions.

Yes, I have tried selecting under each condition in preferences, but nothing is there to allow for single selection..only by genre, artist, album, playlists.

I've attached a screenshot of what the checked screen looked like. I still have it on my older laptop but do not use it as the library on my newer laptop is more current. The older laptop is running the version just before this current one. Something must've happened with the most recent update? I think this update was just a few weeks back....maybe Apple hasn't updated the instructions?

Well, the instructions clearly say otherwise:

"Select the checkbox for the individual items you want to sync in the music list. Deselect the checkbox for any item you don’t want to sync."

Have you tried doing it the way the Apple instructions state?

Attachments

• IMG_5747.jpg
    IMG_5747.jpg
    672.7 KB · Views: 33
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Try this: Open Music, then click on "Music" in the top bar, then Preferences. Under "Show" pout a check in the "Songs List checkboxes" and then see if that does what you need.

OP
carrie640
Reaction score
And BOOM!!! That did it!!! Thank you SOOOO much!!!!!

Try this: Open Music, then click on "Music" in the top bar, then Preferences. Under "Show" pout a check in the "Songs List checkboxes" and then see if that does what you need.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
It's really unhelpful, and I am not blaming carrie640 or any other user but Apple's move to change the names of their frontline apps to generic names makes understanding user issues in written form much more difficult. Apple has an app called Music, it stores all your music plus you can subscribe to an Apple music data base called, wait for it, Apple Music. Apple Photos to manage your photos and Mail to manage your email. It makes wording clear unambiguous replies to OP's a really challenging excercise, not to mention understanding the problem in the first place.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
@Rod, the difference to me is that media files are not owned by the user(licensed), in most cases. The images, and emails are (usually) personal property

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
@Rod, the difference to me is that media files are not owned by the user(licensed), in most cases. The images, and emails are (usually) personal property

I think you might have misunderstood my meaning here. I meant that it seems potentially confusing to call an app the same name as the data/media it manages. Like naming Movies as the app which handles movies. Unless people are very careful with their upper case letters it is sometimes impossible to know if they are referring to the app or it's files.

Sent from my iPhone using Mac-Forums

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think you might have misunderstood my meaning here. I meant that it seems potentially confusing to call an app the same name as the data/media it manages. Like naming Movies as the app which handles movies. Unless people are very careful with their upper case letters it is sometimes impossible to know if they are referring to the app or it's files.

Sent from my iPhone using Mac-Forums
Gotcha Rod. Yep, I misunderstood.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.