• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Apple is reportedly releasing a redesigned, more powerful Mac mini this fall

Reaction score
When Apple launched the first Macs with its own M1 silicon inside (the MacBook Air, MacBook Pro and Mac mini), they were essentially identical to the Intel models they replaced, aside from the new processor of course. But numerous rumors have indicted that Apple is working on major redesigns for its laptops soon, and the company already released an all-new iMac with Apple silicon inside. Now, it sounds like the Mac mini will get a big refresh soon, as well.

Both 9to5Mac and MacRumors are citing a newsletter from Bloomberg's reliable Mark Gurman that says a redesigned Mac mini with an "M1X" chip in it should arrive in "the next several months." The M1X hasn't been announced, but it's been the shorthand over the last year or so for a chip that can outperform the M1 that Apple currently offers.

In addition to the new internals, Apple is also expected to redesign the Mac mini and add more ports to the small desktop computer. This Mac mini might be more focused on power users and will also likely cost more than the current models Apple offers, so it seems likely that the company will keep the M1 model around as a more basic and affordable option.

In addition to the Mac mini, Apple is also expected to introduce totally redesigned MacBook Pro models this fall, also sporting the more powerful M1X chip. It also sounds like Apple might take the multi-colored approach that it brought to the iMac earlier this year, as well.

Click here to view the article...

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Hopefully this is true. There have been rumors that a new Mac-Mini might be still released this year (2021) have been circulating for a while...but the rumored newly designed MacBook Air's & MacBook Pro's have been getting more of the press lately...with a new Mac Mini coming in 2022.

A new 2021 Mac-Mini would be awesome. Pretty sure a new M1 or M1x CPU based Mac-Mini will be my next computer purchase (hopefully the new Mac Mini will be affordable).;)

Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'm trying to decide on a new M1x Mini or a large screen M1x iMac as my next purchase. I'm kind of leaning toward the more powerful Mini thinking that I can add a better monitor to the mix that way. The only problem with that is the cost. :)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
From what I'm hearing/reading...the new M1x Mac-Mini may only be the mid & high end models...with the low-end/entry level model remaining exactly as it is now...with the M1 Mac-Mini (of course this saves on cost).

If this is true...I'm hoping the new M1x Mini's will be affordable (relative to other M1...and eventually M1x Mac's). If the new M1x is too much $$$...guess I'll have to get the current M1 Mini.

I'd be perfectly happy with the current M1 Mac-Mini...except that it only natively supports 2 displays (I currently have a 3 display setup). There are supposed to be unsupported ways for the current M1 Mac-Mini supported more than 2 displays...I prefer to keep things as "native" as possible...when possible.

New M1x Mac-Mini rumored to have more ports...and thus support for more than 2 displays natively.

We shall see how accurate the "rumor mill" is once more definite info is available.:)

Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
With the current M1 Mac Mini starting at $699 US, the M1x is likely to be $999 or higher. I'm about ready for a new one. I only have two old apps that will become obsolete, and have moved on from them for the most part already. (currently still on Mojave)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook pro mid2012 non retina, ssd, 13" Catalina10.15.7 iphone12Mini iOS14 iPad Pro 10.5 iOS14
Well the wait is almost over. I too am in need of a new Mac, the 2012 MBP doesn't cut it any more.
I really would like the rumored 30" iMac but I can't wait so I'm considering the rumored new Mac Mini or the 16" MBP. The Mini seems like a good buy but the monitor is where I need help. The prices are all over the map as well as features. I plan to use this for video editing/color grading with Davinci Resolve. I'm not a professional so I can't buy a "real" monitor for this type of work.

I know some are using the entry level iMac for video but the lack of ports is a deal breaker. If I'm going to drop $1000-$1400 on a monitor I want to be sure what I buy will fill my needs.

The LG 5k monitor on Apple's site seems like a good choice. Can anyone here comment on this and do you have any other monitors I should consider? It seems difficult to put together a package that competes with what Apple is offering in their all-in-ones.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Depending on the numbers, I might consider upgrading from my current Intel 6-core 2018 Mac Mini to the M1x based one since I find myself pushing this thing quite hard and I know the ARM based processor will just be better.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple has an event scheduled for this coming Monday (10/18/21). Main products expected to be announced are a new 14" & 16" MacBook Pro's (with the new M1x chip).

There were rumors that a new higher-end Mac Mini with an M1x chip might also be announced...but some folks are saying the announcement of a new Mac-Mini on Monday might be "iffy"...due to chip shortages. We shall see.:)

The cool thing is...even if a new Mac-Mini isn't announced. Performance of the new Apple silicon seems to translate well to the Mac-Mini (M1 chip had very similar to performance numbers between the MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, and Mac Mini currently available)...all with an M1.

My guess is...if a new 14" MacBook Pro with an M1x is announced on Monday...a new Mac-Mini with an M1x will have a similar hardware configuration (same number of CPU and GPU cores)...and performance will be similar.

If a 16" MacBook Pro with an M1x is announced on Monday...since this would be a top-end model portable computer...I would expect it to have top end spec's (maybe greater than a new Mac Mini with an M1x would have). Again...we shall see.:)

Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If a 16" MacBook Pro with an M1x is announced on Monday...since this would be a top-end model portable computer...I would expect it to have top end spec's (maybe greater than a new Mac Mini with an M1x would have). Again...we shall see.

Rumor has it that both the 14" and 16" model M1X MacBook Pros will come with 16GB of memory and 512 GB of storage as standard. Of course Apple will gladly sell you more. LOL

We don't know what the prices will be but I'm betting the 16" model well equipped will be north of $3K.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.