Apple express and extreme what wifi speeds

Reaction score
I have just upgraded my fiber internet to 300/300
the express 2nd generation only gives me 50/50
on 2,4ghz and 100/100 on 5ghz, my extreme has
packed up fan screeming and yellow lamp blinks.
Would it be worth buying a new used extreme?
if so will i get a better speed the extreme was last
model made i think 7 generation.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
I don't know where you reside, and there are considerable variations in the way different countries deliver their broadband service.

So, my comments are broad-based rather than specific. It seems to me that your AirPort Extreme cannot cope??? - if so, a second hand one seems a poor investment.

Now this is where countries matter: is your Modem & Router are combined in one unit (as in the UK) or are they separate "devices"?

If the latter, would it not be possible to purchase a piece of kit that can handle 300/300 or higher? Independent devices are often much superior than those supplied by your cable company.

Just a thought because I really don't know your exact setup.

Ian

OP
J
Reaction score
Hi Ian thanks for reply i am in Denmark, the isp supply
modem router with wifi, the slow speed was on my express
the extreme is not working any more, i loved my extreme
used it for wifi just wondering what the wifi speed would
be on the extreme? if it would be fast enough on the wifi.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
i loved my extreme
used it for wifi just wondering what the wifi speed would
be on the extreme? if it would be fast enough on the wifi.

You could look up the specs, but don't forget that they are theoretical speeds under ideal conditions.

But why bother considering you said:
the extreme is not working any more,

So now it would seem you need to check the speed specs of the
the isp supply modem router with wifi,
, Not forgetting they are also theoretical speeds and usually taken under ideal conditions.

Why not just set it up and use it and use one of the test the speed Online Accounts???

I would think it would be very seldom and lousy support that an ISP would supply a router that cannot keep up to and supply the speeds that you are paying for.

- Patrick
======

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It's very likely that your present equipment can not handle the higher speeds. As you have been advised, it's time to invest in a new modem/router, one that can handle the new speeds you're paying for.

Even here in the US whenever fiber is installed and/or higher speeds are used, most ISPs will install new equipment. Also keep in mind that Apple is no longer selling WiFi equipment although they continue to support the latest AE models. How long they will do that is unknown.

OP
J
Reaction score
Any one with an idea of a very good wifi router
with good coverage of the house 150sqm.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Your home is around 1600 square feet, but it depends on its construction and how many walls the signal has to go through. As an example, my home is around 2200 square feet and all brick construction with lots of interior walls. I have found that unless I use a repeater, I do not get complete coverage. This is using the 2.4 GHz band. The 5 GHz band is worse.

You're in Denmark so I do not know what's available to you. Check the link below to get an idea of best routers for coverage:

https://www.google.com/search?q=Bes...69i57j69i64.7710j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Any one with an idea of a very good wifi router
with good coverage of the house 150sqm.

Your home is around 1600 square feet, but it depends on its construction and how many walls the signal has to go through. As an example, my home is around 2200 square feet and all brick construction with lots of interior walls. I have found that unless I use a repeater, I do not get complete coverage. This is using the 2.4 GHz band. The 5 GHz band is worse.

You're in Denmark so I do not know what's available to you. Check the link below to get an idea of best routers for coverage:

https://www.google.com/search?q=Bes...69i57j69i64.7710j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Hello JTKeep - my home is like Chscag, i.e. about 2400 sq. ft. - I have an ISP provided modem (100 Mbps plan) w/ an Apple Extreme router that still serves my streaming needs, BUT expect to need a replacement soon? A lot of questions for you, some already posed: 1) You stated previously that you ISP provided a combo modem/Wi-Fi router - is that still available and will it not serve your needs; 2) I assume that you deactivated the ISP's router to use your Apple Extreme - correct; and 3) Did the Apple router cover your house w/o any 'dead spots' (as to the question of walls/construction/etc.)?

A link has already been provided although not sure what is available in Denmark nor what the prices may be, if that is a consideration? Also, you need to read about Mesh Networking, a newer technology (and at present more expensive but likely what I'll switch to soon) - finally, another LINK on router recommendations currently (plenty more can be found by googling). Looking forward to your responses and good luck on your selection! Dave

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.