Apple Cinema Display PSU Failing ??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 32GB i7 3TB & 1TB NVME OSX 13,5,1 late 2013
Hi Guys

I have a 30' Apple Cinema display and sometimes during use the display is turning off the power light then flickers and it comes back on,

and sometimes it does this but won't stay on unless I unplug the PSU

now my question is can I use a psu from the 20' variant as the ones for this are so expensive used and to be honest I love the display other than it now has a bad PSU.

thanks for any help on this one

Jason

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Various Mac's
Unless the 20" has previously had its power supply replaced with the higher power unit intended for the 30", no, its not compatible. Output voltage is the same but it won't supply the current. Sadly the displays and their power supplies are now vintage.

OP
jasongoldworthy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 32GB i7 3TB & 1TB NVME OSX 13,5,1 late 2013
hi techiesteve

do you think it would be OK to just test and see if it shows the same problems ?

as I'm now using the 30' display with its original power unit and its behaving as it should.

I know LED is so much better today but rather than ditching the 30' display over a bad PSU and getting a newer one id like to try and solve the PSU issue

thanks

Jason

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.