Any experience with Logic Pro 2023 release?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023 14" MBP M2 Max 32GB RAM 2TB OS 13.3
I use an older version of Logic on an older laptop regularly for writing and other audio tasks, but I never viewed it as a 100% reliable professional platform from start to finish. However, now that Apple has been developing Logic for well over a decade and continues to advance features and compatibility without a subscription model, I'm wondering if my views will now begin to change. The latest version supports Dolby Atmos mixing as well all in one package, and no doubt the processing advantage of Apple Silicon is being utilized right out of the gate compared to waiting on outside DAW platforms like Avid to get their act together. I'm interested in the latest version to run on a new M2 Max, and I'm curious if anyone here has already done that on their M1 or M2 computer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16” M1max 32/1tb and bunch of other mac/apple stuff
I’m a pro tools guy, but I do use logic from time to time and it runs great on my M1max. As far as a pro platform it has been that for a pretty long time. I know a lot of pros who have used it exclusively.

Reaction score
I bought Logic Pro a few months ago. It's my first piece of audio software since using Cubase for a project I did about 20 odd years ago. At the time, audio software was fairly new, and computers certainly weren't that fast, but it did a decent job despite some prevalent issues (eg. audio lag). That was the only audio software I've had experience with, so I can't speak to any other audio software or how it has improved since then.

But, I can say that I've been nothing but utterly impressed with Logic Pro so far: what it does; it's ease of use; and the mind-boggling number of features it has (most of which I'll probably never use, such as loops and samples, or even Dolby Atmos - which does sound cool for some music, but I don't think I'll need it for what I record). I'm running Logic Pro on a 2020 M1 with 16G of RAM, which I think has solid power and performance, although far from really powerful computers. Still, even while recording 10 or more tracks at a time (a full band), and adding effects to the tracks in post, I've yet to encounter a single hiccup and/or notice any lag. Frankly, I'm blown-away by what it can do.

I'm not an advanced user by any means, but I'm wondering what is it that you're looking for in a "reliable professional platform" that you think your version of Logic Pro is missing? Is it a particular audio FX or feature... because, from what I can tell, this one's fully loaded.

OP
Toroidal
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's really cool to hear. The reason why I say I don't really look at Logic as a fully reliable platform from start to finish is I've been recording and mixing in Pro Tools professionally for the last 20 years, and back then Logic was owned by EMagic in Germany, primarily used for writing with MIDI but severely lacking for mixing "in the box". I'm glad that Apple bought Emagic and turned Logic into "Garage Band Pro" over the last decade or more because by now it is fully maturing into a decent all around DAW while their computers continue to push innovation and development forward. I still only do professional work in Pro Tools but Logic Pro has increasingly become more attractive as a non-subscription affordable product alternative, and I use it for writing and creating new ideas, especially with MIDI and its virtual instruments.
Most likely I will be buying the newest version to explore whether or not it can replace Pro Tools and why or why not. Logic has always been really good at recording and playing back audio, and back in the Emagic days I knew some guys that could do writing and tracking sessions with it reliably, but final mixes were always either done using outboard analog gear with Logic as a playback device or using Pro Tools as plugin emulations became better. By now it's probably just personal preference either way.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16” M1max 32/1tb and bunch of other mac/apple stuff
Logic definitely can replace pro tools, no question. But in my opinion it isn’t as simple as capability (and stability) as both are great in that regard. For me it’s workflow and familiarity, I use pro tools because it does and has everything I require and I like the workflow.

however if logic doesn’t suit I know a fair number of pros who swear by studio one. AFAIK it’s currently both subscription and perpetual.

im currently scoping out Luna by UA

OP
Toroidal
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Logic Pro is on its way! Looking forward to learn how to use its stock plugins and virtual instruments to see how far they can go, plus Dolby Atmos mixing.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.