• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Any COBOL Programmers? Uncle Sam needs you now !!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21 M1 Pro 14" MBP, 23 M2 Pro Mac Mini (MacOS 14), iPhone 15 Pro Max (iOS 17), iPad 6 (iPadOS 17)
Blimey!

I did a Computer Studies degree at the Polytechnic of Wales back in the mid 1980s and did COBOL then. Hated it! And quickly forgot most of it too!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 13 v11.1, i5 2.4 GHz, 256 GBs SSD, 8 GBs DDRs
I also studied COBOL, in addition to Assembler, JCL, FORTRAN languages and loved the Assembler language. At the time of my studies. mainframes were not as powerful as nowadays. When I was ready to compile my COBOL program, I used Assembler language to send out a message to everyone, that "The system is going down for a reboot, please save your work and log off". This worked just fine twice, compiled my program quickly, until the mainframe operators removed my access to schedule a JCL batch jobs.

The guy, who wrote the first electronic ticker tape for Nasdaq in CICS language was my professor. He just laughed at the operators, when they complained about my JCL batch jobs...

Yeah, that was in the 80s for me too, haven't used these languages since the mid 80s, early 90s.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2015 iMac 21.5; 3.1 GHz Intel Core i5; 8 GB 1867 MHz DDR3, Mojave.
Yeah, I lived, breathed, and ate COBOL for many years.

I saw the news article about this and I wrote Phil Murphy (Governor of New Jersey) but he never got back to me.

I told him that I was 85 so he'd better hurry.

(I messed up my subject line, and that can't be edited.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
I learned COBOL, but never really used it after that. However, lots of legacy systems originally written in COBOL work well, even today. I remember during the Y2K "crisis" that we were getting lots of business from companies using COBOL systems for store management, accounting, inventory, etc, and who wanted to be sure their systems would survive Y2K. So it's not just the US Government using COBOL, there are a lot of Fortune 500 companies in that same boat.

Oh, and I was on a contract supporting the IRS and they were using Assembler as late as 2010 with no real plans to retire it. They have such huge processing needs that the overhead of more modern languages means every time they try to update from the Assembler to some more modern language the programs actually run so much longer that they become unusable. They end up throwing hardware at the problem, but they get caught in a Catch-22 in that the Assembler won't run on some modern hardware, but converting the Assembler to more modern languages to use the newer hardware means it runs more slowly, which means they have to have bigger hardware to compensate and then Congress complains about how much it costs to modernize, so nothing gets done. Add in the greying population of programmers who actually know Assembler and the IRS is staring in the face of absolute chaos.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
My brother has forgotten more computer languages than I ever knew. I called him when I saw they were scrambling for COBOL programmers. He said no way, but they - being the State of Ohio, contacted a retired friend of his and he is trying to help them out. His retired friend worked with Grace Hopper back in the day so that should give you an idea how old he is!

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I met Grace Hopper, so now you know how old I am!

Do you know any more about your brother's friend? Does he live in Ohio, or is he helping out via remote assistance?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I wish I had met her. When I taught computer science I always covered the history. She was my favorite to cover because she was so innovative and just amazing. I had a couple of videos of some of her teachings on computers. She had a way of explaining on a very understandable level.

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lisa,

Do you have any answer for the questions I asked?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
I met Capt. Hopper before they promoted her to Commodore, then Admiral. I heard her speak three times, and each time the history was the same, but she always ended the speech with cutting edge developments. Brilliant lady!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I met Grace Hopper, so now you know how old I am!

Do you know any more about your brother's friend? Does he live in Ohio, or is he helping out via remote assistance?

No I don’t know anything about his friend. He said he is not sure it was just a brief contact.

Lisa

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.