Anti virus program?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Ahhh yes!!! That was it — good ol' Disinfectant!!!! Thanks for jarring my old brain. :)

I sometimes ran it just to get the big foot animation along with the Monty Python music I think it was for a kick and the squishing sound at the end.

EDIT:

For those to young … close, but maybe my old Mac's speakers were better.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LFL8j3ALGM

I completely forgot about that animation. perfectly good reason to run the program as far as I'm concerned.

Reaction score
I am also the Avast user (free antivirus) using over 2 years. Everything is going good. And I am happy to use Avast service. LOL!

C

chas_m

It should be noted for the benefit of others reading this thread that the two anti-malware softwares Slydude and Harryb (Disinfectant and pre-Symantec Norton) are from the pre-OS X days IIRC (someone correct me if I'm mistaken) of a couple decades ago.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It should be noted for the benefit of others reading this thread that the two anti-malware softwares Slydude and Harryb (Disinfectant and pre-Symantec Norton) are from the pre-OS X days IIRC (someone correct me if I'm mistaken) of a couple decades ago.

You're indeed correct. In fact, Disinfectant stopped being distributed a while before OS X was released. So many MS Office macros were proliferating on the PC it was impossible for a line person / small dev team to keep up with.

I'll go set in the corner of the room now. Any others suddenly feeling like fossils can meet me there. ;) Harry's responsible for providing beverages.

C

chas_m

Hey man, I knew what they were, so count me in at the Old Mac Explorers' Club! I'll be in a comfy chair by the fire, pontificating on my adventures in the wilds of the hexadecimal jungle with only ResEdit to cut my way through the brush!

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey man, I knew what they were, so count me in at the Old Mac Explorers' Club! I'll be in a comfy chair by the fire, pontificating on my adventures in the wilds of the hexadecimal jungle with only ResEdit to cut my way through the brush!

Old Man Explorers' Club. ROTFL, We need some kind of entry test, password or secret handshake. Who's going to scream at the youngsters to get iff the lawn?

Reaction score
I run Safari and Firefox on my iMac. FF has some features and works on some websites that Safari won't. For example, I can't do anything on Facebook apps on Safari. Not really a big deal. But, sometimes I like to play poker or whatever. I also use Parallels and Windows 7 for radiographic viewing software and for military websites. All military websites require a card and a reader and do not work on the Mac, which stinks. They are terrible to access. But, I digress. Firefox now has this fake "support" warning that pops-up and it keeps me from going to any other pages. They want me to contact them and pay them. I know it's BS, but I am perplexed. Do you have any clue as to what to do with that? I have CCleaner, but I am afraid to delete things, if I don't really understand what I'm deleting.
Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I run Safari and Firefox on my iMac. FF has some features and works on some websites that Safari won't. For example, I can't do anything on Facebook apps on Safari. Not really a big deal. But, sometimes I like to play poker or whatever. I also use Parallels and Windows 7 for radiographic viewing software and for military websites. All military websites require a card and a reader and do not work on the Mac, which stinks. They are terrible to access. But, I digress. Firefox now has this fake "support" warning that pops-up and it keeps me from going to any other pages. They want me to contact them and pay them. I know it's BS, but I am perplexed. Do you have any clue as to what to do with that? I have CCleaner, but I am afraid to delete things, if I don't really understand what I'm deleting.
Thanks

Try reading and going through this and add the suggested ScamZapper:
https://sites.google.com/site/appleclubfhs/support/advice-and-articles/browser-popup-hijack-safari
and then download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (was AdwareMedic) and run it:
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Mac | MacUpdate

Reaction score
Reaction score
I downloaded the Malwarebytes and ran it. Firefox seems to be functioning fine, now! Thanks so much!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Last edited:

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Hi Bobtomay - LOL! :Cool:

I'm sure a lot of our long time Mac users could say "I've used Macs 25 years and have not ever used AV protection, and never had a virus!" Dave ;)

Yes, but someone that has run an AV for 25 years and the AV software has never found anything sort of proves the point that it has been pointless and useless.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
A lot depends on your personal computing habits. In all my years of using DOS and Windows I only ran into a virus one time and that was from a 3.5" floppy disk given to me by a fellow worker. ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.