• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

android question

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mini 16gig/Air 2017 4gig
I have a Samsung /T Mobile phone and in the past I have noticed that when I plugged in an ethernet cable it would rarely connect until after 5-10 tries
the little ethernet icon would appear. Maybe.And even then I had to have the 4/5G on or I couldn't get on the internet. There have been a few updates recently
and now I seem to be able to get the ethernet icon to appear faster, maybe 2-3 times, and I don't need the 4/5G on to get on the internet.Where I live I only get 1 bar 4/5G so the ethernet is helpful for phone surfing and updates. I was wondering if other people had noticed anything similar when on their Android phone recently?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Most people on this forum use iPhones. Also you do not say what model your Samsung phone is but the older the phone the slower they will get. Kinda a planned obsolescence. You state your phone was behind on updates and as you have indicated, you installed the updates, which resulted in connection speed improvements. Updates tend to fix issues in an OS that have been found - such as connection issues. If the phone is performing better then the updates seemed to have helped - or the restarts and resets from the updates did the trick.

Lisa

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I have never connected an iPhone to ethernet as a cable connection adaptor would be required. These are quite expensive and although I can understand why you might want to do that with your slow cellular connection for me it's always been the other way around; slow broadband, fast cellular. As a result I'm more likely to use my iPhone as a Hot Spot for my computer to use cellular data.

Reaction score
To be honest, I've never used a cable Ethernet connection with any of my phones but I did use a USB connection to get some internet to my Android phone many years ago. I don't remember how I did that but it worked. This way I could use the computer's connection to get my phone connected to the internet via a USB cable. Maybe you can try this, too.

FanolaHa

Reaction score
If you're using an Ethernet adapter with your Samsung, it's possible that recent updates may have improved compatibility and stability for such connections. Updates often include bug fixes and performance enhancements, which could explain the improvement in your experience with Ethernet connectivity, or you can read some tech guides where there may be a step-by-step solution to your problem.
As for the reliance on 4G/5G connectivity when using Ethernet, it's essential to understand that your phone might still require a working mobile data connection for certain system services or background tasks. Even if you're connected to Ethernet for internet access, some services and apps might still use mobile data to fetch information or perform tasks, especially if the Ethernet connection is not fully optimized for all data transfer.

Last edited:

rickeyF3

Reaction score
Android operating systems and device firmware regularly receive updates that can bring improvements, bug fixes, and changes to various features, including network connectivity. It's possible that the recent updates you've received have included optimizations that improved the behavior of your phone when connecting to Ethernet.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.