Analog to DV Video Capture Problems

Reaction score
Hello all! I have a TON of Hi8 tapes from the 90's of family footage and other random stuff. I want to digitize them. I have a Sony video Hi8 player I borrowed from a friend, an old Sony DVMC-DA1 Media Converter, a MacBook Pro from 2008 with OS 10.7.5, iMovie '09, and a 4pin Firewire to USB cable. I cannot figure out how to make it all talk. Am I missing something with iMovie, or is the cable not the right one? Any insights, help, brutal honesty...would be GREATLY appreciated! Thanks so much in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
Going by this:
https://docs.sony.com/release/DVMCDA1.PDF

You'll need to connect the Hi8 player to the Media Converter(using a Audio/Video cable), and the Media Converter to your Mac(using a Firewire cable). Your Firewire to USB won't work.

You'll need a Firewire to Firewire cable to connect to the Mac. The end that goes into your Mac will be a 6 pin plug, and looking at the manual, a 4 pin to plug into the Converter.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B001TH7GVY/

With everything connected and working, the manual suggests that playing a Hi8 tape should result in a Digital Video(DV) signal going into your Mac. iMovie 09 should then pick it up and import it.

However, if I had a $ for every post that I've seen about people having problems getting Sony stuff to work with Macs, I'd be a rich man.

OP
U
Reaction score
Going by this:
https://docs.sony.com/release/DVMCDA1.PDF

You'll need to connect the Hi8 player to the Media Converter(using a Audio/Video cable), and the Media Converter to your Mac(using a Firewire cable). Your Firewire to USB won't work.

You'll need a Firewire to Firewire cable to connect to the Mac. The end that goes into your Mac will be a 6 pin plug, and looking at the manual, a 4 pin to plug into the Converter.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B001TH7GVY/

With everything connected and working, the manual suggests that playing a Hi8 tape should result in a Digital Video(DV) signal going into your Mac. iMovie 09 should then pick it up and import it.

However, if I had a $ for every post that I've seen about people having problems getting Sony stuff to work with Macs, I'd be a rich man.

MightyGem...thank you for your reply. My MacBook is just new enough that it doesn't have the 6 PIN Firewire female port. Would a 4 pin to Firewire 800 cord work?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A1286 MBP5,3 running 10.9.5, iphone6, Mac mini1,1 A1176 120/2gb
Yes, I went through that same headache. I wish that the resolution was better, but it is what it is. Still nice to have preserved videos though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
Well, Hi8 resolution is only 560x480, so things won't get any better on importing.

OP
U
Reaction score
Got the right cord, and my computer still doesn't recognize the Sony converter. Tried both iMovie and Image Capture. Getting the feeling this is not going to work. Really don't want to pay for another converter.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
@usualjh:

Please do not cross post or double post the same thread. You've posted the same thing 3X to various forums all of which have been deleted. Keep the thread here in this forum where you started it and nowhere else.

OP
U
Reaction score
@usualjh:

Please do not cross post or double post the same thread. You've posted the same thing 3X to various forums all of which have been deleted. Keep the thread here in this forum where you started it and nowhere else.

Please excuse my misstep. I am new to this. I just REALLY need some help, and was trying to maximize my chances of getting it. The piece of equipment that I have is old and not many people may be familiar with it any longer. So I thought by putting in other places where people with a specific knowledge base may only be reviewing posts, that could be achieved. I am by no means trying to leverage this forum for any business promotion or something along those lines. I just really need the help, and am not sure where to get it. That all being said, I full respect the nature of this forum and those like it, and understand certain umbrella protocols exist for a reason. Once again, my apologies for my misstep.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Got the right cord, and my computer still doesn't recognize the Sony converter.

Not much help, but that could well be because of this:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.