Alittle Help Please....

Reaction score
Ok...so I have been a mac user for years...I have a Macbook running Tiger...I recently purchased a desktop from someone...it is a G4 running OS X 10.4.11

Well I was setting it up and I was going to transfer some pics and music over from my Macbook via Memory card reader and a SD Card, and a My Book external hard drive(through usb ports)....well my problem is it seems as though the system is reading both, but they won't pop up on the desktop so I can not access the files....

Im assuming it could be something simple that Im just missing...but I have never had this problem with my macbook so....

Anyone have some Ideas?

Thanks
Brooke

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Welcome to Mac-Forums!

It's a camera card (SD) and reader you're using - right? Does the card reader use a USB port on the G4?

The preferences on the G4 may be set to try and mount/open the SD files in iPhoto. Have you checked to see if they're there. As for the music files, iPhoto won't deal with them.

Using Disk Utility, or in Finder, see if the SD/Reader shows up as an external device. Get Info on it to see what format it has. Check Sys Profiler > USB too, once the reader is inserted.

As for the MyBook hard drive, is it externally powered? Even with a G4 d/t, USB power for external drives isn't great. That may be preventing the unit from mounting.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
PS A little more thought into the titles of your threads in the future please.
ie Issues transfering data from MacBook to G4 from SD and Ext USB HD.

This makes it easier to get assistance, as well as making it easier for people with similar problems and/or solutions to search the Forums and get results with google searches.

Regards
6string

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions.....I have tired a couple of things....but I will def try the others.....

PS....The title I left like that bc I assumed that most people would read it to help out, as I would....So I did put thought in to it...sorry I just wasn't so detailed.

OP
M
Reaction score
Welcome to Mac-Forums!

It's a camera card (SD) and reader you're using - right? Does the card reader use a USB port on the G4?

The preferences on the G4 may be set to try and mount/open the SD files in iPhoto. Have you checked to see if they're there. As for the music files, iPhoto won't deal with them.

Using Disk Utility, or in Finder, see if the SD/Reader shows up as an external device. Get Info on it to see what format it has. Check Sys Profiler > USB too, once the reader is inserted.

As for the MyBook hard drive, is it externally powered? Even with a G4 d/t, USB power for external drives isn't great. That may be preventing the unit from mounting.

Yes it is a USB SD Card reader....which it reads fine in my Macbook just not in the desktop...they are both running Tiger but the desktop is alittle older....

It also doesn't show up in finder or iphoto....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
PS....The title I left like that bc I assumed that most people would read it to help out, as I would....So I did put thought in to it...sorry I just wasn't so detailed.

I understand that, but most people need help, and if anything, a title like that is more likely to be overlooked, yield less results, and clutter up the forum.

Regards, and I hope that you find a solution soon.
6string

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15

Like "6string" said...most people posting on this forum (or most internet forums) need help.

How much fun would it be to log onto an internet forum...and see 75% of the thread titles saying "A little help please...?"

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Yes it is a USB SD Card reader....which it reads fine in my Macbook just not in the desktop...they are both running Tiger but the desktop is a little older....
It also doesn't show up in finder or iphoto....

Okay, time to run a hardware check on the G4. Do you have the retail version of Tiger available, or the model-specific Tiger for the G4? If yes to either, boot from the disk and run Disk Utility > First Aid > Verify Disk - and then Repair Disk (if necessary).

The other maintenance you can do is repair permissions, preferably using OnyX (v1.8.6) Titanium Software.

You can connect your two computers via firewire and start one or other in Target mode to transfer files. That might be a suitable workaround.

Then there's the option of using ethernet to connect your two machines. You'll need an ethernet hub (a.k.a. 'switch'), or a multi-port router.

OP
M
Reaction score
I understand that, but most people need help, and if anything, a title like that is more likely to be overlooked, yield less results, and clutter up the forum.

Regards, and I hope that you find a solution soon.
6string

I understand your point...but the fact of the matter is U were quite rude about it, by saying that PS I should put more thought in it....as if I don't have a brain bc im asking a question....

Ur response was treating me as if I had never been on a forum before in my life...just bc Im new on this forum....what kind of impression do you think that leaves....you didn't even bother to give me a suggestion or idea to help me out...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I understand your point...but the fact of the matter is U were quite rude about it, by saying that PS I should put more thought in it....as if I don't have a brain bc im asking a question....

Ur response was treating me as if I had never been on a forum before in my life...just bc Im new on this forum....what kind of impression do you think that leaves....you didn't even bother to give me a suggestion or idea to help me out...

I was not rude about it, but do I apologise if you interpereted it that way and felt that it was a personal attack.
If I had a solution for you promblem, I would have given you any assistance I could have, and that is no reason for me not to point out what I did, which by the way, you will find is requested of members in Mac-Forums.com - Announcements in Forum : OS X - Operating System

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Like "6string" said...most people posting on this forum (or most internet forums) need help.

How much fun would it be to log onto an internet forum...and see 75% of the thread titles saying "A little help please...?"

I have to agree with 6string and pigoo3, with special emphasis on the above point. And no, I did not think you were rude, string.

MacLove, have you tried the suggestions made by hughvane? Hope you're getting somewhere, and that this can now focus on solving the issue with your Mac.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.