Airport Time Capsule not Working Correctly after Reset

Reaction score
I had to reset my airport time capsule 80.11 ac and now i can't get it to work correctly. I had it originally set up to be able to back up using to the time machine automatically and be able to surf the internet while it backs up on it's own. When i went to set it up it the time capsule only can be seen with the wireless signal it puts out but then I can't surf the internet when on the same network but I can see it on airport utility.

I hope i made sense as I am not a computer person.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Apple offers their Airport Utility app, in the macOS and iOS App Stores. It should walk you through the setup process.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Welcome to the forums. I don't have my Airport any more, but you did mention that you can see it on Airport Utility. The Airport should be wired to your internet service provider (ISP) modem, and it should be getting internet access from that device to send out to the wireless users attached to it. The fact you cannot see the internet but can see the TC itself suggests that somehow the Airport is not getting access from the ISP modem. There is a way to check in the Airport Utility for the internet connectivity.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Do you have some other wireless router connected as well? If so the Time Capsule might be set up to function as its own network rather than join your existing network. If that's the case it may/may not be set to access the internet.

OP
G
Reaction score
I have a router already and prefer one signal to hook up to so I can surf and backup automatically and apparently I don't understand the instructions or it's vague.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@glockycharms, no offense intended, but your level of knowledge of network technology is clearly pretty low. That will make this difficult to work with.

Maybe if you told us why you had to reset the Time Capsule, we can start from there.

OP
G
Reaction score
@glockycharms, no offense intended, but your level of knowledge of network technology is clearly pretty low. That will make this difficult to work with.

Maybe if you told us why you had to reset the Time Capsule, we can start from there.
original router crapped out and put a new one in so I thought it was the time capsule that went down.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok, that triggers some question from me. When you say "Original router" do you mean that you had a Time capsule and it stopped working so you got a new Time Capsule, or that the modem from your Internet Service Provider (ISP) broke and they provided another one? If it was the ISPs modem that died, is the Time Capsule plugged into the modem? Is the ISP modem in bridge mode or is it the wireless router as well?

OP
G
Reaction score
router from comcast took a crap but i originally thought time capsule was jacked up because it wouldn't complete a backup. the router was jacked up got a new one and now need to setup time capsule like it was originally.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok, some definitions of terms so we don't have to play 20 questions every time. The Comcast Modem/Router is modem to connect to the Comcast system as well as a wireless router to establish your home network. The Time Capsule is also a Wireless Router with an internal drive that can be seen through the network. From your description, it would appear that the Time Capsule was set up not to be a router (leaving that to the Comcast modem/router), but was a part of your network. As such, it connected to your home network either by wireless or by a cable to the Comcast Modem/Router. Set up that way, the TC would then appear as a networked drive and you could definitely set it up to back up your system through the local network. Your Mac would then be able to connect to the internet through the Comcast Modem/Router.

So, is the Time Capsule wired to the Comcast Modem/Router or not? You said, in post #xx
When i went to set it up it the time capsule only can be seen with the wireless signal it puts out but then I can't surf the internet when on the same network but I can see it on airport utility.
Did you make any changes to the setup of the Time Capsule? How are you seeing the "wireless signal" from the Time Capsule. If you click on the network "fan" on the top bar of the screen on your Mac, is there a check mark beside one of the items and if there is, which is it? Do you see the Comcast modem/router in that list?

Remember, we cannot see your system so you are going to have to give us sufficient accurate information to be able to troubleshoot for you. Using the right terms is key to that transfer of information so try to be very specific when you give us the answers. Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
One more question: If you open System Preferences/Network in the left hand panel what, if anything, has a green dot beside it?

OP
G
Reaction score
I will need to hit the reset button on the time capsule and then start step by step from anybody's instructions to accomplish what I am trying to do

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry, but I'm going to drop out of this. I don't understand what you are trying to do, or what you are referring to. You didn't address my questions, so I can't help you at all. Good luck with it, there are others here who may have the same setup you do who can work it out.

OP
G
Reaction score
Sorry, but I'm going to drop out of this. I don't understand what you are trying to do, or what you are referring to. You didn't address my questions, so I can't help you at all. Good luck with it, there are others here who may have the same setup you do who can work it out.
I rest the the time capsule deal and I am back to square one and gave an update on where I currently am and have been waiting for someone to tell me the next step but no one has answered.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I had a Time Capsule set up that way for some time. That's why I asked why you had some other wireless network in place. You can do what you want to do with the new Comcast gear. Here's what you need.

1. If your Comcast device is already providing a wireless network signal you need to know the name of that network and the password. The
2. Follow these directions to add the Time Capsule to your existing network. The screens may look a little different depending upon which version of the Airport Utility you have but I think they'll be close enough to give you the idea.
3. The network security level is probably set to WPA 2
4. If you want to connect the Time Capsule to the Comcast router with an ethernet cable these directions should help instead.

OP
G
Reaction score
I had a Time Capsule set up that way for some time. That's why I asked why you had some other wireless network in place. You can do what you want to do with the new Comcast gear. Here's what you need.

1. If your Comcast device is already providing a wireless network signal you need to know the name of that network and the password. The
2. Follow these directions to add the Time Capsule to your existing network. The screens may look a little different depending upon which version of the Airport Utility you have but I think they'll be close enough to give you the idea.
3. The network security level is probably set to WPA 2
4. If you want to connect the Time Capsule to the Comcast router with an ethernet cable these directions should help instead.
Thanks for your help and patience!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.