Activate New SE

Reaction score
I'm getting a new SE tomorrow (yay!). I received the following message and have a couple questions.

How to activate your new iPhone
When you receive your new iPhone, a SIM card is included. You can activate it by contacting your carrier or replace it with your existing SIM. We recommend using a new SIM to get the most up-to-date features.

My questions are:
1. Should I contact my carrier and use the new SIM card?
2. If I use my current SIM card will I really lose up-to-date features.
3. If I don't use my current SIM card, how will my old phone's info be transferred to the new phone?

Thanks in advance for your help.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
When I get a new iPhone, I move the SIM card to the new phone and that activates it. I have never had a need to contact my carrier.

In the case of the new 5G phones most carriers require a new SIM in order to get 5G reception. However, your SE is not capable of 5G so there is no need to obtain a new SIM unless that's something you want to do.

Just make sure you have a backup of your old phone's data. I recommend backing up to both iCloud and your Mac. Your new SE may not come with the current version of iOS which means it will need to be updated at the same time. You can do that with your Mac via the Finder or over the air.

1. Your choice, but not necessary.

2. No, you will not lose features.

3. Data is transferred from your backup. There are other ways to do it but may not work as well as a backup from your Mac.

OP
B
Reaction score
When I get a new iPhone, I move the SIM card to the new phone and that activates it. I have never had a need to contact my carrier.

In the case of the new 5G phones most carriers require a new SIM in order to get 5G reception. However, your SE is not capable of 5G so there is no need to obtain a new SIM unless that's something you want to do.

Just make sure you have a backup of your old phone's data. I recommend backing up to both iCloud and your Mac. Your new SE may not come with the current version of iOS which means it will need to be updated at the same time. You can do that with your Mac via the Finder or over the air.

1. Your choice, but not necessary.

2. No, you will not lose features.

3. Data is transferred from your backup. There are other ways to do it but may not work as well as a backup from your Mac.
Thank you chscag. As luck would have it, my old iPhone died last night, so I’m not sure I can back things up. But, thanks again for your reply.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.