27" Cinema Display All-In-One Cable problem... again x3!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2010 Mac Pro 5,1 with 3.33Ghz 6-core, and 16GB RAM
Hello folks... I have a pre-Thunderbolt 27" Cinema Display bought in Dec 2010. I have replaced the All-In-One Cable twice before already at $129 a pop! Well, it's that time again and the display is going blank intermittently. I can only assume it's the cable again. Personally, I have never seen a cable go bad as often as I have with this one. So, before I plop down yet another $129, I wanted to ask if there is anything else I can do about this.

I mean... it's a just cable. Actually three cables that for some unknown reason (except to make extraordinary profit to the OEM) are combined as one. The USB works fine. The display is connected to a Mac Pro 5.1, so I never use the MagSafe power connection. So that leaves the mini-displayport cable.

So, the question is, can I buy a mini-displayport cable with the 30-pin fin connector on the inside? Otherwise, I suppose I can try and make it, but the pins on the 30-pin connector are pretty fine and close together... any experience on making this cable?

I would like to just fix this once and for all!

Thanks,
Paras.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Personally, I have never seen a cable go bad as often as I have with this one.

Neither have I…or heard of anyone on Mac-Forums having the same trouble.

I mean... it's a just cable. Actually three cables that for some unknown reason (except to make extraordinary profit to the OEM) are combined as one. The USB works fine.

So, the question is, can I buy a mini-displayport cable with the 30-pin fin connector on the inside?

As with many things with Apple…I'm almost 100% sure that cable (and where it connects) is proprietary. So making something may not be very easy. But if someone knows enough about these things (and where to get the parts)…I guess it could be possible.

Just a thought. Have you checked ebay for a cable (new or used)? Or…maybe someone is selling a busted 27"Cinema Display for parts.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Where did you buy the replacement cables and how long since the last replacement? I would take it up with Apple.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Various Mac's
I have only ever seen one 27" Cinema Display cable fail, and that was because the customer trod on it and damaged the mini displayport connector. As you have replaced the cable twice and the fault remains it's possible the cable is not causing the fault.

I have seen quite a few LCD panels with intermittent video, and most customers deem them uneconomical to replace.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@Nick - good suggestion. Yes, I have checked eBay and haven't found any used. I believe the part is #922-9362 All-In-One Cable for Cinema Display A1316. At the moment, looks like there are a couple of new for $100. Also, I've searched the web... Someone did try to make one, but had trouble with the 30-pin connector on the inside. The pins have a very fine pitch. I'm a robotics engineer, but I don't know that I can solder at that level!

@Harryb - I bought the original in Dec2010, the first cable in Mar2012, and then the last one in Jan2014... so every 1.5-2 years. I only use OEM parts, so I bought the original and the first one directly from Apple. The last one I believe I got from eBay, but again, it was a new OEM part.
From between Dec2010 to Mar2012, I probably brought the display into Apple 4-5 times. Mind you, the display is heavy and not easy to carry, especially living in NYC, where you have to take the subway, etc. The first time, it was still under AppleCare so they gave me a new display; but after that they swapped out the logic board twice and then the power supply, none of which helped. Eventually I figured out it was the cable. So, I have given up on Apple and do all the repairs myself.

@Steve - As I say, I'm pretty well versed on the technical side and know not to trod on anything. I'm familiar with the LCD panel issue and have posted on this forum about issues that I have had. My personal feeling is that most people's LCD issues probably result from dirty power from the mains and not having a good Backup Power Supply with Power Factor Correction. I have a pretty good one installed and have heard it click on more than one occasion during brown-outs and the like. As far as the LCD panel, the cheapest I have found is about $900 which, as you say, is uneconomical when the whole thing can be bought for $1000. But as I understand it, the display itself is a LM270WQ1 made by LG and isn't very expensive; but rather the large, high-quality glass is where the money goes. So if one separated the two and reuse the glass, I bet it wouldn't be too expensive.

Getting back to the cable, yes I have replaced it twice, but with ~1.5 years in between, so I don't believe we can rule out the cable just yet. Again, my gut feel is that the fine pitch of the cable connector leads to one of the pins breaking contact ever so slightly over time, leading to intermittent video. Just a poor design, in my book.

Thanks for the interest. Unless anyone has any more ideas, I think I'm going to try and replace the cable yet again for $100.

Best regards,
Paras.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi folks... so I ended up replacing the cable again and the display has been working fine... until last night.

For some reason, the USB and iSight Camera went out and I just cannot figure it out. The audio and video are normal, but any peripherals (keyboard and iPhone) I plug into the hub in the back are not working. I checked the System Profiler and it does not recognize a Camera. I have reset the SMC and the PRAM to no avail. I tried unplugging the Display and letting it sit before rebooting. I have tried plugging in the display into multiple Macs with the same result... no USB and no Camera; but audio and video are fine. I have tried FaceTime, iChat, and Photo Booth and all register that there is no Camera.

Anything else I should do to get the USB and Camera running again?

Thank you.
Paras.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I love the Apple Cinema displays, but after reading about all the problems and failed repairs in our forum and other forums, I don't think I'll ever buy one. You're probably looking at replacing the logic board in that display in order to get the USB and camera back up. You might get lucky and be able to pick up a unit on eBay with a broken display but good logic board - that is if you even want to mess with it any more. Rumor has it that Apple will come out with a new retina Cinema display sometime in the Fall, but that's only a rumor so take it with a grain of salt. ;D

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yup.. from my experience, the benefit of Apple Cinema Displays seem more marketing and aesthetic design than sound engineering.

So, I can't think of anything I did that would make the logic board go out? Anybody replace a USB transceiver chip on these? I suppose I'll just swap out the board, so any advice here would be helpful... thanks, in advance.

Couple of strange things also going on and would appreciate your input...

1. With the computer and display on and considering the issues above, I connect my iPhone to the USB hub on the display and there is no symbol on the iPhone to signify that it is charging... unless, I shut down the computer and display. Then the charging of the iPhone comes on. This is counter-intuitive to me, but would appreciate understanding why this happens and if the logic board does need to be replaced or it may be something else (like a bad All-In-One cable). Seems it may be related to amount of current draw?

2. I have a wired Apple keyboard that is unresponsive when I plug into the USB hub of the display. However, if I plug it into the back of the Mac Pro, it works fine... except the F1/F2 brightness keys. This seems to point back to the logic board, but thought I would check if there are any other opinions. I'm using El Capitan 10.11.5 and there is no Brightness control in the System Preferences. I've checked everywhere, it's not there. So, basically, there is no way to control the Brightness on this display.

Thank you.

Paras.

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a display just like yours, and at the moment I can't get display backlight to come on... if I shine a flashlight to the display, I can see the desktop, and both the camera, speakers and magsafe charger work. In the previous times you replaced the cable, did yours ever had this behaviour? I am uncertain at the culprit, and wanted to repair it myself...

Thanks in advance!

Edit: I just noticed you have no brightness control... you can try to download and run the EDID reset tool, maybe it can help with the issues you are having. See this thread:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3556591?tstart=0

hope it helps!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hello folks... I have a pre-Thunderbolt 27" Cinema Display bought in Dec 2010. I have replaced the All-In-One Cable twice before already at $129 a pop! Well, it's that time again and the display is going blank intermittently. I can only assume it's the cable again. Personally, I have never seen a cable go bad as often as I have with this one. So, before I plop down yet another $129, I wanted to ask if there is anything else I can do about this.

I mean... it's a just cable. Actually three cables that for some unknown reason (except to make extraordinary profit to the OEM) are combined as one. The USB works fine. The display is connected to a Mac Pro 5.1, so I never use the MagSafe power connection. So that leaves the mini-displayport cable.

So, the question is, can I buy a mini-displayport cable with the 30-pin fin connector on the inside? Otherwise, I suppose I can try and make it, but the pins on the 30-pin connector are pretty fine and close together... any experience on making this cable?

I would like to just fix this once and for all!

Thanks,
Paras.

Hijacking the post a bit. But I've posted elsewhere about my Thunderbolt screen going black on me. It works if I unplug and then replug it is but gone again after 20-30 mins. It started happening after a powercut one night. Ive been assuming its a software thing. Something that needs resetting. But reading this I wonder if the cable is at fault? I dont wanna buy a cable if its unlikely to be that.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Sounds like a hardware problem not software. And, what's wrong with buying a new cable to make sure that's not it? Buy the cable from a seller who accepts returns if that should turn out not to be the problem.

Reaction score
Sounds like a hardware problem not software. And, what's wrong with buying a new cable to make sure that's not it? Buy the cable from a seller who accepts returns if that should turn out not to be the problem.

Not sure if you were talkng to me with this answer. But it applies to me qually if not. Yeah, think I will buy a cable. The screen for that 20-30 minutes is perfect so the cable could be suspect. Thanks for this and sorry for hi-jacking the thread.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, the reply was directed to you as the thread was a bit old. (Not a problem with tagging on to the thread.) Just be sure if you do buy a cable that you can return it if it turns out not to be the problem.

Reaction score
Yes, the reply was directed to you as the thread was a bit old. (Not a problem with tagging on to the thread.) Just be sure if you do buy a cable that you can return it if it turns out not to be the problem.

Nice one will do. I'll report back with results for anyone else that might have an issue.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi Folks... O.P. with another issue with this display.

So, the USB ports, camera, brightness controls, sound, and sound controls had all gone out; and the display picture was intermittently going blank. So I replaced the Logic Board ($160) with a "guaranteed brand new OEM board" (their words, not mine).

I downloaded the EDID Reset Tool. However, when I run the tool, the "Reset EDID" button is grayed out and will not let me click it. I've tried unplugging / re-plugging the display but no change. There is still no brightness control, no USB, and no camera. Audio controls are working and the display is on without intermittent black-out issues (for now).

Any direction?

Thanks,
Paras.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.