2015 iMac not transferring data from SD Card

Reaction score
I have a 2015 iMac that has been having issues reading and copying over data (images) from our SD cards. It particularly has issues with a SanDisk Extreme Plus 128GB, 150mb/s SD Card, ExFat, but we've had issues with other cards as well. It'll mount the card, but it won't always read all the images on it. When trying to copy over to another hard-drive, it'll give us the "The Finder can’t complete the operation because some data in “FileName” can’t be read or written. (Error code -36)” message.

It started doing this when we updated to Catalina, and started using the Sandisk Extreme Plus cards, but we recently went back to Mojave to try and resolve the issue. It now will at least read the SD card, but still won't copy over, and still gives us trouble freezing up with other cards at times.

We've talked to AppleCare twice with no luck. I assume it's an SD reader hardware issue, not being able to handle faster cards?

Any advice?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
How recent are the SD cards and have you used them in other devices without issues? It's reasonable to believe that the 2015 Mac doesn't have the hardware to support the latest incarnation of the SD card depending on how new it is.

You might want to use a dedicated SD card reader (that's newer) and plug that into your iMac over the USB port. The SD card readers are relatively cheap and one bought today should support all devices for a few years to come.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
SD cards are notoriously prone to errors. I store nothing on them that I want to keep, just use them for quick transport from one device to another.

Are these cards readable in something else? You mentioned images, are these cards from a camera? If so, does the camera have a USB port that might allow you to get to the images through a USB port.

What Mac are you using? You mentioned Catalina and Mojave. What did you do to go back and forth like that? Multiple machines or a complete reinstallation?

OP
J
Reaction score
We really started having the issue once we updated to Catalina and started using the Sandisk Extreme Plus SD, but i assume the issue is more the newer SD card. It reads and copies over from an older PNY card, so it does seem like an issue with higher speed cards and the processor being unable to keep up. (We're a marketing company so we are transferring over hundreds of images at a time). We've been using a card reader which has been working, but it'll still give us the issue when transferring larger bulks of images.

iMac 3.2 GHz Intel Core i5. We did a complete reinstallation to go back to Mojave.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
i assume the issue is more the newer SD card. It reads and copies over from an older PNY card, so it does seem like an issue with higher speed cards and the processor being unable to keep up.
That's not how it works, I think. The higher speed card should work in a slower reader, within limits. The speed of the read/write is set by the Mac hardware, Mojave or Catalina should make no difference as the hardware is the same.

Can you open the files that produce the error? In other words, if not in the middle of a bulk transfer, can you open the offending file?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
We really started having the issue once we updated to Catalina and started using the Sandisk Extreme Plus SD, but i assume the issue is more the newer SD card. It reads and copies over from an older PNY card, so it does seem like an issue with higher speed cards and the processor being unable to keep up. (We're a marketing company so we are transferring over hundreds of images at a time). We've been using a card reader which has been working, but it'll still give us the issue when transferring larger bulks of images.

iMac 3.2 GHz Intel Core i5. We did a complete reinstallation to go back to Mojave.

Not sure what your arrangement is, but you should explore network storage for these types of file sharing as opposed to using a physical thing like an SD card. You're better of using a USB flash drive which is a LOT more reliable and has much better backward compatibility than an SD card.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I have a 2015 iMac that has been having issues reading and copying over data (images) from our SD cards. It particularly has issues with a SanDisk Extreme Plus 128GB, 150mb/s SD Card, ExFat, but we've had issues with other cards as well. It'll mount the card, but it won't always read all the images on it. When trying to copy over to another hard-drive, it'll give us the "The Finder can’t complete the operation because some data in “FileName” can’t be read or written. (Error code -36)” message.

Read through this information regarding "error 36" and see if it applies to you. And I agree that it should make no difference whether you're using Catalina or Mojave.

By the way, I've run into the same problem even on USB flash drives when copying data to and from a Mac and FAT formatted media.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.