2014 mac mini

zby67

Reaction score
Hello new to the forum! been on a mac for about 7 months now iPhone afew yrs.

so every so often my screen will time out (nothing new there) the problem is when i wake it up sometimes the screen turns pink till i unplug and plug back in the HDMI cable. is there a fix for this or am i destined to upgrade to a new mac mini? (with ventura out why not?) with that said if i were to get a 2018 mac mini can i swap my OS drive and time machine drives over to the 2018? or am i stuck with only the migration software and figuring out ware im putting the second mac mini for the duration of the transfer?

and something cool as **** i found out that my magic mouse wireless charges lol

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
so every so often my screen will time out (nothing new there) the problem is when i wake it up sometimes the screen turns pink till i unplug and plug back in the HDMI cable. is there a fix...
Before concluding that the 2014 Mac-Mini is the source of the issue...try a different video cable & try a 2nd display. If the issue persists...then maybe the 2014 Mac-Mini is the issue.
for this or am i destined to upgrade to a new mac mini? (with ventura out why not?) with that said if i were to get a 2018 mac mini can i swap my OS drive and time machine drives over to the 2018?
The internal storage on 2018 Mac-Mini's is soldered...and cannot be removed or upgraded (got to get the most internal storage you think you will need at the time of purchase). Also 2018 Mac-Mini's do not support any sort of internal hard drive.

On the plus side...2018 Mac-Mini's do have USB-C ports (which are very fast)...thus you might get acceptable performance booting from an external drive. You'd have to test to see. But of course the internal SSD storage will be faster.

But...if you're going to get a new Mac-Mini...would be a much better choice to get an M1 2020 Mac-Mini (much more "future-proof"). But with the 2018 Mac-Mini if you need some sort of software/macOS compatibility...then ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

First...do some additional trouble shooting with the 2014 Mac-Mini:

* different video cable & different display
* Also try booting into Safe Mode to see if the display issue clears up.
* Maybe try booting from an external HD (with the macOS on it). Just in case there's a macOS or other software based issue with the internal HD.

HTH,

Nick

OP
Z

zby67

Reaction score
Before concluding that the 2014 Mac-Mini is the source of the issue...try a different video cable & try a 2nd display. If the issue persists...then maybe the 2014 Mac-Mini is the issue.

The internal storage on 2018 Mac-Mini's is soldered...and cannot be removed or upgraded (got to get the most internal storage you think you will need at the time of purchase). Also 2018 Mac-Mini's do not support any sort of internal hard drive.

On the plus side...2018 Mac-Mini's do have USB-C ports (which are very fast)...thus you might get acceptable performance booting from an external drive. You'd have to test to see. But of course the internal SSD storage will be faster.

But...if you're going to get a new Mac-Mini...would be a much better choice to get an M1 2020 Mac-Mini (much more "future-proof"). But with the 2018 Mac-Mini if you need some sort of software/macOS compatibility...then ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

First...do some additional trouble shooting with the 2014 Mac-Mini:

* different video cable & different display
* Also try booting into Safe Mode to see if the display issue clears up.
* Maybe try booting from an external HD (with the macOS on it). Just in case there's a macOS or other software based issue with the internal HD.

HTH,

Nick

thank you for the reply so yes ive tried other HDMI cables. as for another monitor the samsung TV i use is the only thing i have and its connected to a ps4 that it doesnt do this with. how would one get into safe mode? and i have the orginal hdd the mac mini came with with big sir still on it i could swap in? i upgraded it to a SSD and had fun trying to get mac installed on the **** thing lol.....

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thank you for the reply so yes i've tried other HDMI cables.
Great
as for another monitor...the samsung TV i use is the only thing i have and its connected to a ps4 that it doesn't do this with.
It would really be best to try a 2nd display. Wouldn't you hate to spend the $$$ on a new computer...if the issue was really the display? Unless your real goal here is buy a new computer anyway.;)

The issue may not be the display...but always good to check first before spending big bucks.
how would one get into safe mode?
and i have the original hdd the mac mini came with with big sir still on it i could swap in?
If you've already done a hard drive swap in your 2014 Mac-Mini (or are comfortable doing it if you haven't done it before)...sure you could give it a try.

Nick

OP
Z

zby67

Reaction score
Great

It would really be best to try a 2nd display. Wouldn't you hate to spend the $$$ on a new computer...if the issue was really the display? Unless your real goal here is buy a new computer anyway.;)

The issue may not be the display...but always good to check first before spending big bucks.

If you've already done a hard drive swap in your 2014 Mac-Mini (or are comfortable doing it if you haven't done it before)...sure you could give it a try.

Nick
i mean if im replaceing a 45" TV or a old mac mini i spend 300$ on whats the diffrence sep the pink screen on a new system i prob would bang my head off the desk lol. and with my mac mini stuck on monteray has me worried about security updates. i heard apple normally sapports there os for 3 yrs... i was poking around on a mac group on facebook about this and was told its on its last leg or i installed something.... since then ive uninstalled (dunno if properly) anything i dont use.... which honestly hasnt been much. i thought about using time machine but dunno exactly when this pink screen started. thank you for the link about safe mode!

Side note:
if i upgrade the system i can play afew games this 2014 really cant with out getting hot or crashing lol

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i mean if im replaceing a 45" TV or a old mac mini i spend 300$ on whats the difference sep the pink screen on a new system i prob would bang my head off the desk lol.
Just for discussions sake...let's say it was the display. You wouldn't need to spend $300 on another display.

I see FREE display's on Craig's List all the time (old 14" & 17" displays...but good enough to test with). Or you could temporarily borrow a display from someone you know (or take your 2014 Mac-Mini to their location to quickly test with). Or go to a local thrift store (Salvation Army, Goodwill, etc). They usually have some old displays for sale cheap.

It's probably not the display...just always good to test.

As far as $300 for a 2018 Mac-Mini. If you can get one for $300...that would be a pretty decent deal. 2018 Mac-Mini's are still being sold by Apple...thus used 2018 Mac-Mini's prices remain higher.

and with my mac mini stuck on monteray has me worried about security updates. i heard apple normally sapports there os for 3 yrs... i was poking around on a mac group on facebook about this and was told its on its last leg or i installed something.... since then ive uninstalled (dunno if properly) anything i dont use.... which honestly hasnt been much. i thought about using time machine but dunno exactly when this pink screen started. thank you for the link about safe mode!

Side note:
if i upgrade the system i can play afew games this 2014 really cant with out getting hot or crashing lol
Sounds like you're trying to talk yourself into getting a new computer;)...which sort of negates the troubleshooting talk we're doing about the 2014 Mac-Mini (which I'm sure you would still like to solve the 2014 issue eventually).:)

But again (just for laughs & giggles)...if you get a newer Mac-Mini...you may still need to get another display (if the current display is the issue...and you haven't done any testing with a 2nd display first).

Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.