2011 iMac Graphic Card

Reaction score
Need to replace graphic card. 2012 27" iMac Aluminum AMD RAEDON 6779M with 512 MB of Dedicated GDDRM Memory. Will keep the Mac OS on it, or Install Linux (I have Linux Disc prepared for Mac install) Might dual boot. I understand this card is problematic. Seen prices used from $24 to $100. Also saw new from China $200 would prefer new as I read comments about people going through several used ones. That's a lot of trouble to do several times. Is there an upgrade for this card? Are the new Chinese ones any good? New Old Stock?

Last edited:

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
You may want to me very careful how much you spend on this project. Not sure of your location...but checking eBay United States sold listings...easily found several 2011 27" iMac's that sold for $179-$189 (free shipping).

With 100% operational units selling for $179-$189...if it were me...I wouldn't pay $200 for a replacement video card. I'd stick with used...and get as much life out of it as I could.

Nick

OP
B
Reaction score
I've been seeing them for around $300. I'm thinking $300 and then the card goes out so that's another $200. That card has has a bad reputation for going down. Will check prices again. Anything else that's unreliable on those machines?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Various Mac's
I've been seeing them for around $300. I'm thinking $300 and then the card goes out so that's another $200. That card has has a bad reputation for going down. Will check prices again. Anything else that's unreliable on those machines?
From long ago the graphics cards had known issues and failures were originally covered by Apple under a quality program. Displays and optical drives often have issues now due to the age of these iMac's. When these iMac's became vintage and spares were no longer available from Apple it was possible to get the GPU chip replaced, then the chips ran out. Then substitutes were fitted that required the temperature sensor moving from the optical drive to the graphics card as they ran hotter. Some customers had the BGA GPU chip reflowed, but if that worked it didn't last long. I would be wary spending money and effort on one of these iMac's.

OP
B
Reaction score
I just booted a Live Linux distro. from the DVD drive. Video seems to work. Watched some YouTube on it. I am guessing Linux may be using whatever the mac uses early in it's normal boot process. Video looks good. I am going to try booting a USB drive Linux installation. If that works I'll just run it like that. Way faster than the 2006 Dell laptop I have been running for years. That 27" screen is just beautiful.

It's a mid 2012 iMac. Any way to edit the title to 2012

Last edited:

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If it's actually a 2012 27" iMac...that would make some difference on the value (I checked 2011 since that's what was originally mentioned).

Spending $200 on a 10 year old iMac is not the best use of $200...when the whole computer itself is probably not worth much more. I say get one of the less expensive used video cards...get as much life out of it as you can...then maybe invest in something that's newer & more reliable.:)

Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Why not spend the money on a 2013 iMac instead?

OP
B
Reaction score
Looks like the 2013 makes more sense. Early, Mid or Late? What problems do these have?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you don't have any constraints as far as older applications & macOS version needed...get the newest iMac that fits your budget.:)

Nick

OP
B
Reaction score
If you don't have any constraints as far as older applications & macOS version needed...get the newest iMac that fits your budget.:)

Nick
Good advice. I don't know what Mac OS is on this or additional software has been added. It was given to me by a friend who is an artist. Been sitting in the box for at least five years. Will ask him.
What is running the video when it first boots before login, the i5 CPU or some other chip?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't know what Mac OS is on this or additional software has been added.
Sometimes users have older software that they NEED to run (since the cost of upgrading the software is prohibitive). Thus when they upgrade to a newer computer...the idea is to make sure the newer computer can run a macOS version the older software is compatible with.

In your case you have not mentioned any specific software applications that you NEED to be able to run (since you haven't mentioned needing certain older apps to run). Thus you should be free to do whatever you want.

Because the computer may have some older apps installed on it currently...if you don't use them yourself (the previous owner/user did)...don't let this decide what newer iMac model you get. You should get what best works for you...and in many cases...the newer the better (able to run newer versions of the macOS, more recent security updates, etc.).

Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Various Mac's
I see the iMac model has changed to a 2012. The 2012 27" iMac's GPU is integrated into the logic board and rarely fails, unlike the completely different 2011.

OP
B
Reaction score
My bad again. It is indeed a mid 2011 27" Aluminum iMac.
I do not think the GPU is bad. I booted a Linux Live session from the optical drive and the iMac displays full 2560 X 1440 resolution. I tried other resolutions and they worked as well. I am thinking there is a driver issue and/or Mac OS issue. Thinking about doing system restore which I can boot to using the option key. ny other suggestions?

How do I go about reinstalling. That's done over the Internet, right? I can get the rest of the owners info if needed.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My bad again. It is indeed a mid 2011 27" Aluminum iMac.
We changed the thread title once already to make things more accurate (will change it once more to 2011).;)

Just for future reference...the quickest/easiest way to know what model year a computer is...many times the model year is included in the:

* Apple drop down menu
* Then "About This Mac" info.

:)

Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well that works if you can boot the OS.
Lol...yes you're 100% correct...I forgot that part (sorry)!

Tough keeping the details of 25-50 threads straight sometimes.;)

Nick

p.s. The way the conversation had evolved...I think I thought you had decided to purchase a newer iMac.:)

OP
B
Reaction score
No. Looked into it. The only way I would buy a Mac is if I could afford to buy a new one. Not being able to update comes too soon on used ones. I want to be able to boot to the Mac OS so I can peruse any added software. I am guessing it is too old to update to the latest so that makes using it on the Internet iffy. I have other machines for doing that. Just like to keep stuff out of the junkyard. I even have an old machine running Windows 98 so I can access a large format high quality SCSI scanner.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.