2011 imac bootcamp/ windows 7

Reaction score
I own a 2011 Imac and have issues when installing bootcamp/Windows 7. I successfully partition the disk and install windows 7 however on the last reboot where you're supposed to choose a language and your setup for windows my screen is black. I've even tried to restart windows from the disk and from the windows partition to see if it has any effect and it does not. I'm stumped and confused right now and I've been needing to use a software for a project I've been working on. Any suggestions are welcome with open arms. Thanks for reading!

Here's my specs:

Model Name: 2011 iMac
Model Identifier: iMac11,2
Processor Name: Intel Core i3
Processor Speed: 3.06 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache (per core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 4 MB

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Please do not cross post or double post. This is the correct forum for your question, your other post has been removed.

We're going to need some more information in order to try to help. Go through the steps with us on how you installed Windows 7. Assuming you used the Boot Camp Assistant to partition the disk.... did you download a driver image from Apple? It sounds like you have not installed the graphics driver that Windows needs in order to work.

OP
C
Reaction score
Ok.

So I used my bootcamp assistant and followed the directions until I partitioned my disk. It restarted and booted up to the installation screen where it installed windows 7. It then restarted for the last time and went to the black screen. So I believe I'm in the final process but I can't get any further unfortunately.

I have not installed anything except for my windows 7 disc and following the wizard. It did not give me any drivers, etc. I don't know why this is weird but a macbook pro I have from 2010 had no issue installing windows 7.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I have not installed anything except for my windows 7 disc and following the wizard. It did not give me any drivers, etc. I don't know why this is weird but a macbook pro I have from 2010 had no issue installing windows 7.

You missed a step in the Boot Camp assistant process. It should have alerted you to the fact that you needed to download a driver image from Apple. Without drivers you will have no graphics, no WiFi, etc. Go through the steps again using the Boot Camp assistant, however, do not re-partition your hard drive. Just download the drivers and place them on a USB flash drive or you could even use a CD since your 2011 iMac is equipped with an optical drive.

By the way, you never told us which version of OS X you're running as that makes a difference in the version of Boot Camp that you need to use.

OP
C
Reaction score
OSX 10.6.8. I tried to click "download windows support files" for the set-up portion of it and it always shows they're unavailable? I believe it did the same for my macbook pro.

I remember I used my Mac disc that came with my macbook once I finalized the set-up of that. So essentially I need those same drivers BEFORE I even get to my windows desktop?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It would have helped if you mentioned that you were still using Snow Leopard. Just insert your Snow Leopard DVD and the Windows drivers should install automatically. You don't need a driver download. I assumed you had upgraded your 2011 iMac to at least Mavericks or Yosemite. ;D (By the way, why haven't you?)

After the drivers are installed, go to Control Panel, Boot Camp, and update your version of Boot Camp from Apple. That will also install the latest drivers.

OP
C
Reaction score
I'm confused when do I insert the MAC OSX disc? I'm trying the "repair this computer" route with my OSX disc installed and it doesn't want to download anything off of my disc?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
If you are running the repair routine that is normally part of Windows 7 that is run from the Windows disk. The only thing the OS X disk is used for is to get the necessary drivers for video cards etc.

OP
C
Reaction score
I'm at some install drivers page now... I got to this screen from the windows disc startup under "Repair this computer" in which it's allowing me to search my OSX disc to install drivers. It's taking forever and keeps giving me the error "No new devices could be found. Make sure the driver files are correct and located on the driver installation media."

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.