2008 Mac Pro 3,1 running El Cap - will not go to sleep when asked to

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2008 Mac Pro 3,1 (2 x 2.8GHz Quad-core Xeon) / 16GB RAM / ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT / El Capitan 10.11.6
I'm posting this query here because I suspect we might be looking at a hardware issue (the machine is 14 years old, after all!)

For ages now, my default behaviour has been to put my machine into sleep mode when not being used. I only put the machine into full power-down when strictly necessary - i.e. for physical maintenance etc.

Normally this works fine: "sleep" shuts off signal to the monitors, then about 30 seconds later the machine's fans stop spinning and all is quiet. Exactly what you'd expect.

Not any more. I first noticed it yesterday. Now, when I ask it to go to sleep (click the Apple logo top left of desktop and select "sleep" from the drop-down menu), it shuts off signal to the monitors OK, but the computer itself stays fully powered up, and my household smart meter shows that it is consuming the same amount of power as if it were in use but idling.

Things I've tried so far:
  1. Ran Disk Utility First Aid/maintenance on all disks - nothing untoward found.
  2. Ran Onyx diagnostics/maintenance routines - nothing untoward found.
  3. Shut down machine fully (it does that with no problem), and unplugged the mains cable and left it for half an hour to re-set the NVRAM etc. Made no difference.
  4. Disconnected my external TM backup spinny drive, to make sure it wasn't keeping things awake. Made no difference.
  5. In System Preferences, under "Energy Saver", ensured that neither of the sleep slider controls is set to "Never". This shouldn't normally have any effect on what happens when the user actually orders it to go to sleep, but no harm trying. It made no difference.
I'm out of ideas. Any suggestions, folks?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I've had exactly the same issue with a 2008 Mac Pro. In my case...when I tell the computer go to sleep...instead of sleeping...it simply shuts down (as if I had told it to shut down).

I've done extensive research into this (lots & lots of internet research...etc). There's not a lot of information out there about this...but my conclusion (as with many power issues with older Mac Pro's)...is its power supply related (power supply is getting "weak" after many years of use).

Replacement power supplies (used) aren't cheap...and may not be any better than what you have. Brand new power supplies are hard to find...and if you can find them...they are super expensive ($250+)...way more than a whole used 2008 Mac Pro sells for on eBay.

There are some creative folks out there that have figured out how to use a Windows tower computer power supply...but the conversion can be involved (it's not just a swap...rewiring is necessary).

Here's what I would do/try. Since this issue has just started...if the issue is a weak power supply...temporarily remove/unplug anything that's not absolutely necessary:

* Any external peripherals.
* Run only minimal RAM.
* Remove any extra hard drives (just run one HD).
* Remove any PCI cards (only run the one video card if more than 1 is installed).
* If you have more than 1 video card...only run the "weakest" one.

This will reduce the power demands on the 2008 Mac Pro's power supply.

Once this is done...reboot the Mac Pro...then try putting it to sleep. Hopefully it sleeps normally. If it does...this may be a sure sign that the Mac Pro's power supply is getting weak.

- Nick

OP
Horsa
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2008 Mac Pro 3,1 (2 x 2.8GHz Quad-core Xeon) / 16GB RAM / ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT / El Capitan 10.11.6
Dagnabbit. Had a feeling that might be the scenario. Many thanks, Nick. Ironically, the PSU is younger than the rest of the machine (had a new one fitted in 2012)! :D

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ironically, the PSU is younger than the rest of the machine (had a new one fitted in 2012)! :D
Really. Hey...I could be wrong. But since you tried a bunch of other stuff...PSU could be the culprit.

Nick

OP
Horsa
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No, I'm pretty sure you've nailed it, Nick.

Bit of a shame, really. With the cost of energy going through the roof here in the UK, I don't really want to leave it chugging away, eating up current when not in use. Shutting it down inbetween sessions is a PITA though, cos ever since I upgraded the OS to El Cap, it takes a loooooooooong time to boot from cold. Boo hoo!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Just look in System Preferences > Energy Saver. Something there could be causing this issue.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Just look in System Preferences > Energy Saver. Something there could be causing this issue.

I was thinking the same thing, and also check that file sharing is not enabled in any way, as I believe it can prevent sleep mode when it is running.

Does it go to sleep if booted up into safe boot mode??? Unless that feature is disabled under such conditions, I'm not sure.

- Patrick
=======

OP
Horsa
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Been there, done that (item 5 on the list in my original post), but thanks for the thought. :)

OP
Horsa
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I was thinking the same thing, and also check that file sharing is not enabled in any way, as I believe it can prevent sleep mode when it is running.

Does it go to sleep if booted up into safe boot mode??? Unless that feature is disabled under such conditions, I'm not sure.

- Patrick
=======
Thanks for the input. File sharing is disabled.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Well, here's another checklist you could go through and double check and make sure the appropriate settings are disabled or whatever:

I'm assuming you have already done the recommended VRAM and SMC resets. Excuse me asking if you have already mentioned that, and I missed it... and if so, maybe giving them a try again...

I would also be tempted to do a Shutdown when you are finished with the Mac for the day but before bedtime and disconnect its power and leave it that way overnight at least.

Then reconnect the power and boot the Mac the next time you want to use it, and see if the sleep mode works. You never know... and stranger things have happened... ;-)

- Patrick
=======

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nice video link Patrick...thanks!

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Horsa, I know things are pretty lousy economically in the UK at the moment so I can understand your concern over unnecessary power consumption.
Great accomplishment keeping a Mac Pro functional for 14 years, I'm sure that was not achieved without lots of effort, well done.đź‘Ź
What do you plan to do now? You don't list another device in your profile so, would you consider purchasing another Mac, is that even an option? Obviously even a refurbished one is a big outlay.
I only ask because I cannot imagine being without a computer myself. At 70 it has become an essential business tool, communication and entertainment device.

OP
Horsa
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Patrick - thanks for the video link. Checking the command line entry is something I'll try today.

Rod - Right now I don't have the finances to buy a replacement Mac. I am currently preparing to downsize - sell my current home and move into something smaller/cheaper. This is supposed to be happening in spring next year, but with the economy in free-fall and interest rates rising, it's all looking a bit doubtful...

Anyhoo, assuming I do manage to sell my place, this should leave me with a very tidy sum in the bank, and a portion of that cash would be spent on a new or refurbished M1 machine. Personally, I hate the total lack of upgradeability - or even repairability - in the new Apple Silicon machines, and having to keep all your storage drives external. It's the complete antithesis of everything I love about the old Mac Pro towers. But there is no choice any more: it's a case of having to jump on the bandwagon or get left behind.

OP
Horsa
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
UPDATE: Problem solved!

As per Patrick's video, I found two items languishing in the print queue. Deleted them. Machine now enters sleep correctly.

Thank you, everyone. Case closed (until next time something goes south...) :D

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Well done, Patrick!

Ian

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
UPDATE: Problem solved!

As per Patrick's video, I found two items languishing in the print queue. Deleted them. Machine now enters sleep correctly.

Thank you, everyone. Case closed (until next time something goes south...) :D
Big big congrats!!!

Way to go Patrick! I knew that was a great video you linked!:)

Nick

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Phew, good news! There's been pitifully little of that around lately. I completely get what you mean about repairability, being a bit of a Mr. Fixit myself over the years but I've had to face the inevitable "progress" with not just computers. Once I could fix a car, now, I dare not even drop a spanner for fear that it would be permanently lost amongst the tangled maze of pipes and wires. The days when I could repair a toaster with just a flat bladed screwdriver are over I'm afraid.
Anyhow, great job Patrick. đź‘Ź

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nice video link Patrick...thanks!

Thanks, but I obviously cannot take any credit for creating that video, but I sure wish a few others posting their videos to YouTube and elsewhere would use it for an example for how to do a video properly and it was such a pleasure to be able to and understand the narrator's voice that was so clear and understandable it was a pleasure to listen to.

Too many of the so called helpful videos posted these days are in such a poor foreign language accent or dialect that I find them impossible to even listen to or understand or even watch. They burn me up everytime I come across one and YouTube and others should do themselves a favour and just cull them from existence.

End of rant... Sorry... Now back to regular programming...

- Patrick
=======

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks, but I obviously cannot take any credit for creating that video...
That's why I said "nice video link".:)

It's awesome when members take the extra time to find good help links...AND...sometimes it can take extra time/be difficult to filter thru all the help links to find good ones!

Like you said...sometimes not all help links are as "helpful"...for various reasons.

Thanks,

Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.