Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Buy now or wait for Leopard?

    Member Since
    Mar 29, 2007
    Posts
    7
    Buy now or wait for Leopard?
    Hi all! My 3 year old IBM is slowly starting to self destruct. It started a few months ago with the power plug going wonky, now the cd burner won't burn cds, and to top it all off one of the metal hinges cracked completely in half! The thing has never been dropped or treated roughly, but I do carry it to school with me in a padded backpack (oh the horrors).

    I know that Leopard is coming out sometime in October, and I was hoping to be able to make it until then with my gimpy IBM but honestly I'm really itching for a new laptop and I don't know if I can wait that long. Would it be worth it to limp my dying PC until October or would it be worth it to buy a macbook now and buy Leopard when it comes out? Does anyone anticipate Mac releasing newer versions of macbook or macbook pro when Leopard is released?

    Are there any advantages to buying a macbook later on with Leopard already loaded onto it versus buying one now and loading it later (besides extra money spent to buy Leopard)?

    The bottom line is that I'm wondering if I buy now, is something newer going to be released in a few months? Sorry if this is a bit long winded/convoluted but it's been a loooooong week at work

  2. #2
    Buy now or wait for Leopard?

    Member Since
    Jun 25, 2007
    Posts
    55
    Hi there.

    I am actually in a quite similar situation with you, as I was (& am still ) researching on Macs for the past couple of weeks now. Was doing plenty of research on Macbook & all the other programs to make sure I know the Mac equivalent of Windows programs that I was used to.

    I will be getting my first Mac (MB) in a weeks time!! will make sure I come out of the Apple store with one!.

    Anyway, I'm no pro or a smart-*** & this isn't exactly an advice, but it's just that (from advices I have received) you wouldn't lose anything by getting a Mac now. You have plenty of time to get use to the Mac with Tiger, & maybe could even wait a couple more weeks/ months even after the release date of Leopard. Maybe by then, this forum would already be filled with thousands of stories/ problems/ advices on Leopard. all these can only be a gain.

    Another advice I got was that if you keep waiting for something new or better to come out, you'll eventually end up with nothing. =). I am taking those advice anyway & ready to splash some money.

    Hope this helps anyway. =D

  3. #3
    Buy now or wait for Leopard?

    Member Since
    Mar 29, 2007
    Posts
    7
    Thanks! Your advice makes complete sense. I didn't even think of how learning how to Mac-it on a brand spankin new OS might be a bit tricky - what with everyone else learning at the same time too. It makes sense to start on Tiger and have the advantage of a few years worth of tutorials, FAQ's, etc. at my disposal.

    That puts a couple more tics in the "buy one now, i'm impatient" column!

  4. #4
    Buy now or wait for Leopard?
    Zoolook's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 24, 2006
    Location
    Brooklyn, New York
    Posts
    2,756
    Specs:
    15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5
    Quite honestly? I'd buy now.

    Tiger is already a great OS, and would you really want to be a public beta tester for Leopard? Give it 3 - 6 months after it's released and then upgrade, it'll only be $129.
    In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is stoned to death.
    - Joan D. Vinge


  5. #5
    Buy now or wait for Leopard?
    Glenners's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 18, 2006
    Location
    Windsor, Ontario
    Posts
    172
    Specs:
    14" ibook g4, 1.42ghz. 512mb ram, 60gb hdd
    Buy it now!
    "Come on big operating system, big operating system!" - PC

  6. #6
    Buy now or wait for Leopard?

    Member Since
    Apr 19, 2007
    Posts
    780
    Specs:
    20" iMac Core 2 Duo 2.16Ghz, 500GB HDD, 1GB RAM, 128MB ATI Radeon X1600

  7. #7
    Buy now or wait for Leopard?

    Member Since
    Jan 27, 2007
    Location
    *Brisvegas*
    Posts
    5,658
    Specs:
    17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
    Quote Originally Posted by smurfy View Post
    164 hits for that! Wow! That's a lot. Yeah I get your point. Thanks.

  8. #8
    Buy now or wait for Leopard?

    Member Since
    May 21, 2007
    Location
    isle of man
    Posts
    21
    does anyone know if the new ilife suite will be included with leopard if you are upgrading from tiger?

  9. #9
    Buy now or wait for Leopard?

    Member Since
    Jan 27, 2007
    Location
    *Brisvegas*
    Posts
    5,658
    Specs:
    17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
    It won't. As ilife is only bundled with new macs. It won't come with the OS if you purchased it seperately.

  10. #10
    Buy now or wait for Leopard?
    brentsax's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 24, 2007
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    63
    Specs:
    15.4" MBP - 2.2GHz C2D, 2GB RAM, 120GB HD, GeForce 8600M GT w/ 128MB DDR3
    Quote Originally Posted by jdub View Post
    does anyone know if the new ilife suite will be included with leopard if you are upgrading from tiger?
    iLife '08 will more than likely NOT be included w/ Leopard. iLife is a totally separate suite of software that Apple chooses to include on new Macs that it sells. It does not "come with" the OS.

    -B

  11. #11
    Buy now or wait for Leopard?
    rixx03's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 27, 2007
    Location
    NPA - No Permanent Address
    Posts
    229
    Specs:
    White MacBook 2GHz Intel Core2Duo 1GB 667MHz DDR2SDRAM 120GB HD | iPod Video 80GB White | iPhone 8GB
    Quote Originally Posted by brentsax View Post
    iLife '08 will more than likely NOT be included w/ Leopard. iLife is a totally separate suite of software that Apple chooses to include on new Macs that it sells. It does not "come with" the OS.

    -B
    Aww geez. Whatta waste. They should bundle it with the OS, or at least have a promo when you buy Leopard.. like having iLife '08 by 50% off.

    That'll be a customer attraction.

    || i BOUGHT MY MACBOOK ON MARCH 24, 2007 ||
    || WHiTE MACBOOK 2GHZ iNTEL CORE 2 DUO 1GB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM 120GB HD ||
    || iPOD ViDEO 80GB WHiTE || iPHONE 8GB ||

  12. #12
    Buy now or wait for Leopard?

    Member Since
    Dec 05, 2006
    Posts
    96
    Quote Originally Posted by jdub View Post
    does anyone know if the new ilife suite will be included with leopard if you are upgrading from tiger?

    This seems to be a common misconception. Apple has promoted the concept "every new mac comes with iLife" which consumers translate that iLife is actually a part of the OS. I know, I was one of those.

    Im waiting to upgrade to Leopard but Id ask the question somewhere else "why spend $79 on the new iLife when Leopard will be out in October (or so we think)" And of course the answer I got was iLife is a stand alone group of apps, its not integrated into the OS.

  13. #13
    Buy now or wait for Leopard?

    Member Since
    May 21, 2007
    Location
    isle of man
    Posts
    21
    is there any chance of the uk getting the upgrade to ilife 08 for $9.99 if you recently purchased a mac. im after a macbook pro but they still have the 06 suite. no doubt us guys in the uk will have to pay £9.99, double the price the usa will

  14. #14
    Buy now or wait for Leopard?
    WhiteNoiseMaker's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 04, 2007
    Location
    Newcastle, UK
    Posts
    50
    Specs:
    White MacBook 2.0GHz CD | 2GB RAM | 80GB HDD | SuperDrive | iPod 3G 20GB
    I'm waiting until October before buying a new iMac. Don't want the extra expense of having to buy the Leopard upgrade and iLife 08 for it. Plus if there's any production problems with the new iMac, hopefully by October they'll have fixed them.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Buy Mac now or wait for Leopard
    By ddrum1458 in forum Switcher Hangout
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 08-25-2007, 09:58 AM
  2. Purchase Help: Buy now or wait for Leopard
    By brademcee in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-15-2007, 12:21 PM
  3. Buy MacbookPro now or wait for Leopard?
    By hobs707 in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 07-30-2007, 03:43 AM
  4. Buy now or wait for Leopard
    By kris182 in forum Switcher Hangout
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 07-16-2007, 10:24 AM
  5. Buy MB with Tiger now or wait until Leopard?
    By ART in forum OS X - Operating System
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-18-2007, 05:58 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •