Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 20
  1. #1

    Member Since
    Feb 17, 2007
    Rotherham, Yorkshire, England
    Alu MacBook Core 2 Duo 2.0Ghz, 2GB DDR3, 160 + 320GB HDD, Gforce 9400m - iPhone 8GB 2.2 T-Mobile
    Question Buy now or wait for Leopard
    Hi guys,
    I have recently been thinking of changing over to mac from PC and after much research I've decided to go for a 20" iMac Core Duo.
    Now originally I was planning on waiting for Leopard to be released but through a company scheme i can now get the machine for 796 which is a good deal (retail price is 999.99).
    Would it be better to order it now at the very cheap price or wait until Leopard comes out and then pay full price or get a refurb (will Leopard offer much more over Tiger to warrant the extra 200 quid)? The machine wouldn't be shipped until early April so if Leopard did come out between now and then would it be included?
    Also does anyone know if Apple plan to release new hardware or different specs to coincide with Leopard?



  2. #2

    mac57's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 29, 2006
    St. Somewhere
    iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM
    Apple is famously closed mouthed about their product plans, so no one can say for sure when Leopard will come out, and whether new hardware may come out in the same or similar time frame.

    In general though, I would recommend "pulling the trigger" now, not later. Remember that when Leopard does come out, it will be brand spanking new. That means that it would be wise to let it mature in the market for a few months before you take it, so that you avoid any teething problems it may have.

    SO, find a Mac that meets your needs and go for it now.
    My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
    My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
    My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
    I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007

  3. #3
    I agree with mac57, go ahead and get whatever Mac you want now, and then wait until Leopard is out for a few months.

    Once you finally buy Leopard, it should upgrade over Tiger just fine without any problems

  4. #4

    walkerj's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 13, 2005
    New Orleans, LA, USA
    13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
    If you're going from PC to Mac, now is as good a time as any to make the switch because Tiger is as good an OS experience as you're going to get until Leopard comes out, which will just be better.

    This will give you some time to get used to the Mac way of doing things.

    Besides, if you keep waiting for the next big thing, you'll end up never buying anything. If you can save some money now, take the opportunity. Leopard isn't going to be more than $129 US when it comes out, and you can watch any issues get resolved within the comforts of your robust, well travelled Tiger using your new, awesome Mac. Then upgrade when the features entice you sufficiently.

    I seem to recall that Tiger came out about three months after I bought my first Mac. I upgraded when I got my wife her first Mac (which came with Tiger) and it was great! Now we have recently purchased Macbooks which, when Leopard comes out will probably be upgraded after watching what the buzz is regarding the 'new' OS. Difference here is that most of the new features will probably be supported on this hardware, unlike with the Mac Minis we had. The new Dashboard 'ripple effect' for example was one that if you upgraded a Mini to Tiger it didn't have enough video 'oomph' to see it.

    Anyway, rambling on. If you want to get a new Mac, now is as good a time as any.

  5. #5

    nukemm's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 15, 2006
    Oak Harbor, WA
    2.33Ghz Core2Duo MacBook Pro /// 2.2Ghz Core2Duo MacBook
    Don't bother waiting, it could be tomorrow, or it could be six months from now. I said forget about the waiting, and couldn't be happier. I made the switch in December, and just bought my second mac, a 17" MacBook Pro, a couple of weeks ago, and love it. You will, too.

    Don't forget to use the reputation system!
    My Setup

  6. #6

    Member Since
    Apr 22, 2005
    Just do it.

  7. #7

    Digger's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 15, 2006
    Tampa, Florida
    we just did it yesterday, I'm on our new MacBook right now, and the iMac has been ordered. the overall build of this laptop is incredible.

  8. #8

    eric's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 04, 2006
    twin cities, mn, usa
    congratulations and good luck with both of them!

    let us know if you have any questions!
    Please participate in our Member of the Month polls. Every vote counts! And remember to use the user reputation system!
    ["Dear Homer, I. O. U. one emergency donut. Signed, Homer." - Note by Homer Simpson]

  9. #9

    Digger's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 15, 2006
    Tampa, Florida
    Quote Originally Posted by eric View Post
    congratulations and good luck with both of them!

    let us know if you have any questions!
    is there any way in Safari to turn off the lines underneath the links?

    in XP I had it set to 'hover to underline'.

  10. #10

    Smell The Glove's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 02, 2007
    Congrats. Hope you'll be happy with yours.

  11. #11

    WasabiTaylor's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 29, 2005
    iMac G5 20", 250gb, 512mb, Airport/Bluetooth, wireless kb+mouse
    Personally, I would wait. There are rumors that Leopard may be out as early as March. There also may be an iMac update between now and then.

    I agree that if one constantly waits for the newest thing, they'll never get anything. But a new OS won't come out again for over a year. You can definitely wait for Leopard to come out.

    Also, I find that Apple is very quick in getting out the updates. There will always be bugs, but in my opinion that doesn't merit waiting for 3 months to upgrade. I think it's more fun to have it right away, and see it evolve. In my experience, the bug horror stories are rare.

  12. #12

    Member Since
    Oct 20, 2006
    My vote is for your to go ahead and switch now. You are looking at a great price and the Tiger is so much nicer than Windows XP. I was going through the same struggle you are before Christmas '06 over a 24" iMac. I was expecting Leopard to come out at the MacWorld and was going to wait for that. My wife went ahead and got it for me for Christmas. It was well worth getting it at that time.

  13. #13

    papercut's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 01, 2006
    I generally recommend buying a new computer when you NEED it, regardless of where it is in the lifecycle. If, however, you can wait -- then I guess you really don't need it now. In that case, we all know that Leopard is coming in the next 2 - 4 months and hardware updates are possible any time.

    If your discounted price is too good to pass up, then buy now and be happy with your new computer.

  14. #14

    Bloodborne's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 18, 2007
    MacBook, 2.0GHz Core Duo, 2GB RAM, 120GB hard drive
    I was thinking the same thing you were back when it seemed the Core 2 Duo Macbooks were about to come out. But I decided to bite the bullet and get a 2.0 GHz Core Duo Macbook. This is an awesome machine, and I have no regrets about the Core 2 Duos coming out a few months later. Just do it.

  15. #15
    Welcome to Mac-Forums, Bloodborne. :girl:

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Buy Mac now or wait for Leopard
    By ddrum1458 in forum Switcher Hangout
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 08-25-2007, 10:58 AM
  2. Buy now or wait for Leopard?
    By Gonestarfishing in forum Switcher Hangout
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 08-19-2007, 08:53 AM
  3. Purchase Help: Buy now or wait for Leopard
    By brademcee in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-15-2007, 01:21 PM
  4. Buy MacbookPro now or wait for Leopard?
    By hobs707 in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 07-30-2007, 04:43 AM
  5. Buy MB with Tiger now or wait until Leopard?
    By ART in forum OS X - Operating System
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-18-2007, 06:58 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts