Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Buy now or wait for 10.5

    Member Since
    Feb 07, 2007
    Posts
    2
    Wink Buy now or wait for 10.5
    I'm looking to switch from Windows to a MacBookPro. I was in the store yesterday asking questions about whether to buy now or wait until the new OS is out. Any suggestions? Do I buy now and upgrade or should I just wait the few months. With Windows I would have to wait 6-9 months after release. Are there any of these same "bug" issues with OS X? Thanks for any insight you can provide.

    :bushman:

  2. #2
    Buy now or wait for 10.5

    Member Since
    Feb 01, 2007
    Posts
    41
    Specs:
    17" CD iMac and black C2D MacBook
    Welcome to the forum! I only joined recently but they're a friendly bunch!

    The responses posted to my thread might help you:

    http://www.mac-forums.com/os-x-operating-system/52678-tiger-wait-leopard.html

    HTH

  3. #3
    Buy now or wait for 10.5

    Member Since
    Jan 19, 2007
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    130
    Specs:
    MacBook Pro-2.16Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo-3GB RAM-120GB HDD
    Welcome Redleg91! I am a recent switcher. I have had my MBP for about 2 weeks. I love it! If I was in your position, I would buy it now. From what I understand, Apple OS upgrades don't cost the dough that Windows upgrades do.

  4. #4
    Buy now or wait for 10.5
    KoDorSean's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 03, 2006
    Location
    Denver Colorado
    Posts
    2,371
    Specs:
    2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Redleg91 View Post
    I'm looking to switch from Windows to a MacBookPro. I was in the store yesterday asking questions about whether to buy now or wait until the new OS is out. Any suggestions? Do I buy now and upgrade or should I just wait the few months. With Windows I would have to wait 6-9 months after release. Are there any of these same "bug" issues with OS X? Thanks for any insight you can provide.

    :bushman:
    there is a good chance the leopard upgrade will be around $130.. in my opinion mac os upgrades are cheap and there is no reason to wait.

    I was on the M-F honor roll for month : May 2007

  5. #5
    Buy now or wait for 10.5
    cwa107's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 20, 2006
    Location
    Lake Mary, Florida
    Posts
    26,758
    Specs:
    15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD
    When it comes to technology, if you wait for whatever is coming on the horizon, you'll be waiting forever. There are always new technologies, both hardware and software, waiting right around the bend.

    Is there a particular feature in Leopard that directly effect your reason for wanting to switch? If not, then there's no need to wait. Keep in mind that it usually takes a few months to shake out some of the bugs in a new OS version. So, if you choose to wait, it could be some time before you'll have a good, stable Mac.

    With that said, I say buy it now.

  6. #6
    Buy now or wait for 10.5
    Jonnyfive's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 02, 2006
    Location
    Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    328
    Specs:
    White MacBook, 2.0 ghz Intel Core 2, 2GB ram||[G4 Imac Flat Panel] |800mhz|1Gb RAM|60gb HDD
    I was told by a fellow mac user at my school that when 10.4 came out that everyone who had purchased a mac up to 3 months before it's release were able to get a free update from 10.3 to 10.4.
    I am not sure if this is true, but if it is that would be pretty sweet and solve your problems.
    White MacBook, 2.0 ghz Intel Core 2, 2GB ram||[G4 iMac Flat Panel] |800mhz|1Gb RAM|60gb HDD|Combo Drive http://jonnyfive.tumblr.com/

  7. #7
    Buy now or wait for 10.5

    Member Since
    Feb 07, 2007
    Posts
    2
    Thanks to all for your feedback! I'll probably go ahead and purchase now and upgrade in the Fall after the bugs have been worked out. And it would be sweet to get a free upgrade.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Buy now or wait?
    By reveries3 in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-03-2012, 11:38 AM
  2. Buy now or wait???
    By MDSilverado in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-18-2011, 06:47 PM
  3. Should I buy or should I wait?
    By Ashton in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-26-2009, 12:43 AM
  4. Buy now or wait?!?!
    By snax83 in forum iPod Hardware and Accessories
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-20-2006, 12:02 PM
  5. Buy now or wait?
    By kevrodg in forum Switcher Hangout
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-10-2004, 02:35 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •