Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Yahoo Problems? Help with Adium?

    Member Since
    Sep 29, 2006
    Posts
    38
    Yahoo Problems? Help with Adium?
    Alright guys. Two quick questions for you.
    Has anyone experience problems with the new Yahoo Messenger Beta 3.0 for Mac? Evvverytime I launch it from the dock it takes forever, and I mean forever to load. Am I the only one experiencing this or are there others?

    I tried using Adium for a few days but didn't like the fact that it wasn't able to get my contact details for all my friends and I was going to have to manually put them into the built in address book. I do not know my friends by their screen names alone. Is there anyone to import the contact details or am I just SOL?

    Thanks everyone.

  2. #2
    Yahoo Problems? Help with Adium?
    jdgti's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 14, 2005
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    443
    Specs:
    17" Macbook Pro Unibody 2.66 Ghz and Powerbook G4 1.67 GHz 2.0GB RAM
    Quote Originally Posted by jparker0201
    Alright guys. Two quick questions for you.
    Has anyone experience problems with the new Yahoo Messenger Beta 3.0 for Mac? Evvverytime I launch it from the dock it takes forever, and I mean forever to load. Am I the only one experiencing this or are there others?

    I tried using Adium for a few days but didn't like the fact that it wasn't able to get my contact details for all my friends and I was going to have to manually put them into the built in address book. I do not know my friends by their screen names alone. Is there anyone to import the contact details or am I just SOL?

    Thanks everyone.
    Have you tried opening up yahoo messenger and then exporting your buddylist and then opening up adium and importing them using the exported list?

    What file extension is the exported list from yahoo?

    I believe adium is set to read from the server for all buddy lists, which would mean it would be able to get all of their information like you want. Have you tried deleting the program and then application support folder and then redownloading adium and starting from scratch?

  3. #3
    Yahoo Problems? Help with Adium?
    PapaNoHair's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 18, 2006
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    2,180
    Quote Originally Posted by jparker0201
    I tried using Adium for a few days but didn't like the fact that it wasn't able to get my contact details for all my friends and I was going to have to manually put them into the built in address book. Is there anyone to import the contact details or am I just SOL? Thanks everyone.
    All my contacts were automatically imported for me - I did not have to do anything.

  4. #4
    Yahoo Problems? Help with Adium?
    JTmac's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 12, 2006
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    2
    Specs:
    iMac 20" 2.16 Core 2 Duo 2 GB RAM
    I had the same problem with Yahoo...... Ditched it.

  5. #5
    Yahoo Problems? Help with Adium?

    Member Since
    Sep 29, 2006
    Posts
    38
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaNoHair
    All my contacts were automatically imported for me - I did not have to do anything.
    Hm...Maybe I just wasn't giving it enough time. I played around with it for a good 30 minutes though...And when I say "contacts imported" I don't mean their screen names but the name that I had put in on Yahoo for them to show up as...

    Ex: jparker0201 then I'd put it in to show up as John.

  6. #6
    Yahoo Problems? Help with Adium?
    BIG D 04's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 16, 2006
    Location
    Birmingham (S), UK
    Posts
    665
    Specs:
    20" iMac Intel Core Duo 2 (Standard)
    I have a similar Problem MSN Messenger for Mac...terrible

    I also didn't like using Adium as it would always send me the friends Request I recieved or inform me about Offline Messages but they may be the fault of MSN.

    I just have to check a Windows XP PC with Windows Live Messenger it's a pain in the ***.
    Damien Healy
    iMac 20" OSX 10.4.9 Tiger | thebigman87.com |

  7. #7
    Yahoo Problems? Help with Adium?
    jdgti's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 14, 2005
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    443
    Specs:
    17" Macbook Pro Unibody 2.66 Ghz and Powerbook G4 1.67 GHz 2.0GB RAM
    try this in adium. preferences->advanced->adress book and then uncheck all the stuff that says from address book so that maybe MSN will read from the server.

    Let us know.

  8. #8
    Yahoo Problems? Help with Adium?
    kman445's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 09, 2006
    Location
    Ottawa ,Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    1,281
    Specs:
    27" 5k imac i7, 295x
    Quote Originally Posted by BIG D 04
    I have a similar Problem MSN Messenger for Mac...terrible

    I also didn't like using Adium as it would always send me the friends Request I recieved or inform me about Offline Messages but they may be the fault of MSN.

    I just have to check a Windows XP PC with Windows Live Messenger it's a pain in the ***.

    all my stuff was imported in adium for MSN, but i couldnt stand the program, so i got rid of it


    For msn i use "Mercury Messenger" i like this program alot, and it runs nicly. shows what yourlistning to, and you can draw, send nudges, and everything else you can on windows live messenger

    I hope this is usefull
    "I asked who i am to her, and she yelled god"

  9. #9
    Yahoo Problems? Help with Adium?
    mraya's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 27, 2005
    Location
    Framingham, MA
    Posts
    940
    Specs:
    MacBook C2D 2.4 2GB
    About a month ago (maybe less, maybe more), Yahoo! started to offer compatibility with MSN Messenger and a new updated version for Windows, since then Yahoo! has had a lot of problems. I don't think is just you or the Mac version but Yahoo! itself.
    [is pointless to click here]

  10. #10
    Yahoo Problems? Help with Adium?
    geminifiend's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 04, 2006
    Location
    HK / Philippines
    Posts
    31
    Specs:
    12" iBook G4 / 12" PowerBook G4 x 2
    Smile
    Quote Originally Posted by jparker0201
    Hm...Maybe I just wasn't giving it enough time. I played around with it for a good 30 minutes though...And when I say "contacts imported" I don't mean their screen names but the name that I had put in on Yahoo for them to show up as...

    Ex: jparker0201 then I'd put it in to show up as John.

    Using Adium, you have to manually write their Alias as you've written in your example in the contact info. And everything you want to do will be in the preferences. Moreover, there's a Yahoo! Beta for Mac if you want to try it out, you can view your contact's webcam. By the way, I agree with mraya, MSN messenger, gmail, jabber etc... etc... has no problem with any third party messengers only Yahoo! :black:
    "Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."
    Mac-Forum @ Flickr
    My Flickr Page!

  11. #11
    sursuciofla
    Guest
    All my contacts names came up when I first used it. Granted I hardly use but all the names were there (The real life names I put in using my windows messenger version). Don't know why yours did not.

  12. #12
    Yahoo Problems? Help with Adium?
    BIG D 04's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 16, 2006
    Location
    Birmingham (S), UK
    Posts
    665
    Specs:
    20" iMac Intel Core Duo 2 (Standard)
    Quote Originally Posted by kman445
    all my stuff was imported in adium for MSN, but i couldnt stand the program, so i got rid of it


    For msn i use "Mercury Messenger" i like this program alot, and it runs nicly. shows what yourlistning to, and you can draw, send nudges, and everything else you can on windows live messenger

    I hope this is usefull
    Cheers for the Link.

    I'll give it ago and see how good it is.
    Damien Healy
    iMac 20" OSX 10.4.9 Tiger | thebigman87.com |

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Problems with Adium
    By Nerimon in forum OS X - Apps and Games
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-17-2010, 12:09 PM
  2. iChat, MSN, Yahoo, Adium not working on OSX but ok on XP?
    By Ramacher in forum Internet, Networking, and Wireless
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-10-2008, 06:48 PM
  3. Adium Problems...
    By Leukeh in forum OS X - Apps and Games
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-19-2007, 12:14 AM
  4. Keyboard Problems in Adium
    By naftalim in forum Switcher Hangout
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-18-2007, 02:32 AM
  5. Adium and Yahoo!
    By mraya in forum OS X - Apps and Games
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-19-2005, 08:39 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •