Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    AMacSoon
    Guest
    The first days with my mac mini ...
    System:

    Mac Mini Intel Dual Core w/ 2 GB of RAM and a BENQ FP202W connected to it

    Short: I love it !

    Everything is so easy and the UI is very intuitive (I yet have to get used to this simple way of thinking *g*)

    Installing Windows in Parallels Workstation, Copying 40.000 Images over a nnetwork, Importing 1500 Songs into iTunes, 7 simultaneous downloads (all at the same time!) and my mini is responsive as it would just do nothing!

    Data migration was no problem at all (except for a few thousand mails that I had to "transfer" using an IMAP account.

    The only "gotcha" is that i sometimes still press APPLE-Q for the "@" ... which of course closes the currennt application.

    Rosetta-apps like MS Mac Office and Photoshop run smothely (just like on my former Windows machine).

    In 2-3 Months I will buy one of those new MacBooks for my mobile needs

  2. #2
    The first days with my mac mini ...

    Member Since
    Mar 03, 2006
    Location
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    Posts
    34
    Specs:
    iMac Aluminum, 20", 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB of Ram
    Quote Originally Posted by AMacSoon
    Short: I love it !
    Well duh...

  3. #3
    caveatipss
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by AMacSoon
    System:

    Mac Mini Intel Dual Core w/ 2 GB of RAM and a BENQ FP202W connected to it

    Short: I love it !

    Everything is so easy and the UI is very intuitive (I yet have to get used to this simple way of thinking *g*)

    Installing Windows in Parallels Workstation, Copying 40.000 Images over a nnetwork, Importing 1500 Songs into iTunes, 7 simultaneous downloads (all at the same time!) and my mini is responsive as it would just do nothing!

    Data migration was no problem at all (except for a few thousand mails that I had to "transfer" using an IMAP account.

    The only "gotcha" is that i sometimes still press APPLE-Q for the "@" ... which of course closes the currennt application.

    Rosetta-apps like MS Mac Office and Photoshop run smothely (just like on my former Windows machine).

    In 2-3 Months I will buy one of those new MacBooks for my mobile needs

    Question: Have you tried any games on it?

  4. #4
    The first days with my mac mini ...
    dtravis7's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 04, 2005
    Location
    Modesto, Ca.
    Posts
    28,479
    Specs:
    iMac late 2007 10.11.b4, iMac 2008 10.10.5, Macbook2007 10.7.5, Mac Mini 10.7.5, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!
    Quote Originally Posted by caveatipss
    Question: Have you tried any games on it?
    I have, Since all the Games I have are for the PPC, they run in EMULATION with Rosetta. Considering that, They play pretty well. Halo is playable which suprised me with the Emulation and the 950. I made a 5GB partition with Bootcamp and installed Windows XP SP2. Played a few of my windows games and some suprised me and played quite well. Doom III was not bad at 800x600 but at 1024x768 it was a bit jerky. I was not suprised. I am amazed that the Intel 950 with Shared memory did as well as it did. Some games were quite playable. Just the real demanding ones at higher resolutions were jerky. I could still play Doom III at 1024 but I would rather play it on a real Game system with a FAST Dedicated graphics card. The Mini is an amazing little machine for what it is and is very fast except on the most demanding games. Windows XP runs like butter on it. FAST as on my AMD 64 system for anything but demanding games. I did some benchmarking on it and was suprised to see it beat an AMD 64 3200+ in a lot of very demanding benchmarks.

    OSX on the Core Duo mini is VERY smooth and nice.

    5GB is all I intend to give Windows XP. I have AMD 64 Systems to run Windows on. The only reasons I even put XP on it at all was to see how it worked and to help others here at Mac Forums who need to install XP for certain applications.

  5. #5
    AMacSoon
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by caveatipss
    Question: Have you tried any games on it?
    Nope ... I am not a gamer - at least when it comes to "modern 3D ego shooters" (Basically, it's always the same)

    I'm more the classic arcade type gamer. I like to launch a game, play it for 15, maximum 30 minutes to get my head free, and then back to work.

  6. #6
    The first days with my mac mini ...
    iPodJon120's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 04, 2006
    Location
    Sudbury, ON Canada
    Posts
    71
    Specs:
    20" Intel iMac 2GHz 250 GB 2 GB RAM 256 MB VRAM, 80 GB 5.5G iPod, 8 GB iPhone
    Quote Originally Posted by AMacSoon
    Nope ... I am not a gamer - at least when it comes to "modern 3D ego shooters" (Basically, it's always the same)

    I'm more the classic arcade type gamer. I like to launch a game, play it for 15, maximum 30 minutes to get my head free, and then back to work.
    I'm the exact same way. I'm looking for a Tetris widget for my dashboard and I'll be set. I still have my old NES. All I'll ever need for gaming.
    20" Intel iMac 2GHz 250 GB HD 2 GB RAM 256 MB VRAM
    80 GB 5.5G iPod
    8 GB iPhone

  7. #7
    AMacSoon
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by iPodJon120
    I'm the exact same way. I'm looking for a Tetris widget for my dashboard and I'll be set. I still have my old NES. All I'll ever need for gaming.
    I'm also still looking for a site annd/or a decent package of good arcade games. Hints, anyone?

  8. #8
    lil
    Guest
    I really am not going to forgive Jobs for saying "iPhoto scrolls like butter"... :flower:

    I agree though that Mac OS X runs very well on Intel hardware, its only the emulated stuff that causes me some issues.

    I can see myself at the end of the year getting an Intel Core Duo Mini.

    Vicky

  9. #9
    caveatipss
    Guest
    Have you played WoW on a Mini?

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. 8 Days into Mac...
    By Dogbreath in forum Switcher Hangout
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-12-2010, 08:55 PM
  2. Mac Mini - 2 days old and possible fault
    By Rottie in forum Apple Desktops
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-16-2010, 10:13 PM
  3. I have to go 5 days without my Mac
    By TheCustomer99 in forum Schweb's Lounge
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 03-09-2007, 12:04 AM
  4. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-23-2005, 05:34 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •