Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    To buy or wait [iMac Intel]

    Member Since
    Apr 28, 2006
    Posts
    2,542
    Specs:
    iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
    To buy or wait [iMac Intel]
    I've been wanting to buy the iMac for quite some time now but had to wait till I completed the construction of my room. Anyway, the time has come (next week) but I'm not sure whether to get it or to wait for rev 2 of the intel iMac.

    I want the 20" one. But I'm scared that Stevei might release some new one's with a higher resolution or faster processor...'

    Also I come from India, so this is a very very very costly affair for me (wont be able to buy a new one for another 4 years at least...PCs are okay in 2 years, but macs cost 3 times as much).

    I already got an iBook G4 which I'm very happy with...

    What do I do?

  2. #2
    To buy or wait [iMac Intel]

    Member Since
    Jan 18, 2006
    Posts
    1,868
    Specs:
    G4 Cube
    Buy now, don't look back. Next up for release from Intel is the 2.33ghz Core Duos, which isn't a huge leap from the existing 2ghz Core Duo. I can't imaging them stuffing anything else inside the iMac...it's already got b/g wifi, bluetooth, a big, fat, fast hard drive, dual-core processor, tons of space for ram, beautiful 20" widescreen LCD, USB 2.0 ports, Firewire 400, digital/analog audio, and a nice video card. What else could you want? I got the 20" fully-loaded model for my wife and I'm sure it's going to be good for 5+ years.

    I can guarantee you that Steve is going to release faster, newer, and better models. But you'll be waiting forever because as soon as he releases one thing, rumors will start flying about the next new thing, and then you'll be all worried about that. Buy the best system you can afford that meets your needs and don't look at the market after that. Then enjoy your nice shiny new system

  3. #3
    caveatipss
    Guest
    I, too, become very scared about spending all of that money, then having the 2.33 come out! 300 mHz is noticable.

  4. #4
    To buy or wait [iMac Intel]

    Member Since
    Apr 28, 2006
    Posts
    2,542
    Specs:
    iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
    Thing is, I'm at the end of the production cycle, why not wait a few weeks for a much faster (they charge $300 for the 2.16 Ghz on the Macbook Pro) system....

  5. #5
    To buy or wait [iMac Intel]
    baggss's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 10, 2004
    Location
    Margaritaville
    Posts
    10,310
    Specs:
    27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 10.10.2 -64Gb iPad 2-64 Gb iPhone 6+-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage
    Quote Originally Posted by caveatipss
    I, too, become very scared about spending all of that money, then having the 2.33 come out! 300 mHz is noticable.
    And your proof of this is? 300Mhz will only make a difference in your perception but nowhere else...


  6. #6
    To buy or wait [iMac Intel]
    christm's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 18, 2005
    Location
    Devon, England
    Posts
    2,288
    Specs:
    ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
    just get a 2ghz duo 20" - dont look back like others have said.

    yes they cost sometimes a lot more but they last u 3x as long!

    chris tm

  7. #7
    MJGUK
    Guest
    As everyone has said, buy it and don't look back.
    Because Apple update their products all the time, it is rarely worth waiting and stressing about.
    Furthermore, just enjoy it for what it does for you.

    Good luck and enjoy your new Mac

  8. #8
    To buy or wait [iMac Intel]
    D3v1L80Y's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 02, 2004
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    12,456
    Specs:
    MacBook
    Quote Originally Posted by MJGUK
    As everyone has said, buy it and don't look back.
    Because Apple update their products all the time, it is rarely worth waiting and stressing about.
    Furthermore, just enjoy it for what it does for you.

    Good luck and enjoy your new Mac
    I too, agree with this mentality. If you want or need the system now, then get it now. There is no sense in waiting for an update that will only be replaced with another update, which will only be replaced with another update, which will only be replaced with another update, which will only be replaced with another update....etc.
    From my experience, the updates that Apple implements have more often than not been minimal at best.
    Quote Originally Posted by caveatipss
    I, too, become very scared about spending all of that money, then having the 2.33 come out! 300 mHz is noticable
    No...it really is not noticable. What would make a difference is how you use the computer and what apps you need. Even then, more RAM would make a much more tangible difference, NOT proc speed. Especially if the proc speed is less than a 500 Mhz change.
    __________________________________________________
    Posting and YOU|Forum Community Guidelines|The Apple Product Cycle|Forum Courtesy

    mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
    MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
    Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.


  9. #9
    simongarfunk
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by D3v1L80Y
    I too, agree with this mentality. If you want or need the system now, then get it now. There is no sense in waiting for an update that will only be replaced with another update, which will only be replaced with another update, which will only be replaced with another update, which will only be replaced with another update....etc.
    From my experience, the updates that Apple implements have more often than not been minimal at best.
    No...it really is not noticable. What would make a difference is how you use the computer and what apps you need. Even then, more RAM would make a much more tangible difference, NOT proc speed. Especially if the proc speed is less than a 500 Mhz change.
    Agreed. My orig. PB G4 was the 1.33ghz. 1 month later the 1.67ghz came out for what I originally paid for my 1.33ghz. My buddy bought one and we compared machines. There were virtually the same via benchmarks.

    Apple will always make newer machines, just buy the one you can afford afford. Bottomline is the new intel chips are much , much faster than the G4's and G5's, so ou really can't go wrong. They even our perform any PC of equivilent specs in Proc speed and ram. Simply by buying apple over PC, you are getting the best possible machine avail in its SPEC range on the market.

    peace,

    jimbo :ninja:

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Should I buy an iMac now or wait?!
    By bertymandagie in forum Apple Desktops
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 09-15-2012, 09:51 AM
  2. Buy new iMac 27 or wait???
    By Holly21 in forum Switcher Hangout
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-15-2012, 12:29 AM
  3. Imac 27" intel core i7 Or wait for new 2012 Imac?
    By Malik786 in forum Apple Desktops
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-15-2012, 05:13 AM
  4. Intel Mac - buy now or wait
    By Wedge in forum Switcher Hangout
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 05-20-2006, 11:24 PM
  5. Buy now or wait for Intel?
    By aantoine90 in forum Schweb's Lounge
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 06-28-2005, 03:09 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •