Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    iMac and iPhone 4 benefits?

    Member Since
    Aug 02, 2011
    Location
    Michigan, Usa
    Posts
    10
    iMac and iPhone 4 benefits?
    Here is the problem... I currently own an I-Mac (3 months old) and I am now in the market for a new cell phone. I am having a hard time trying to decide what phone to buy. So my question is what are the biggest benefits of me buying an I-Phone 4 over buying another brand (looking at some HTC's also). I love the I-Mac and use an I-Phone 4 for work so I do know some functionality just do not know what major advantages of the I-Phone are. HELP!!!

  2. #2
    iMac and iPhone 4 benefits?
    cwa107's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 20, 2006
    Location
    Lake Mary, Florida
    Posts
    26,758
    Specs:
    15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD
    I switched from an HTC Incredible to the iPhone. For me, it was all about stability and ease of use. The Incredible was a nice phone hardware-wise. Where it stumbled was the Android OS. Android is a mess. I spent more time fiddling with settings and trying to find some kind of balance to preserve battery life than actually enjoying the phone. The final straw was when the UI started to crash intermittently when I received a phone call. There's nothing like having your phone ringing, but you can't answer it because the UI is busily rebooting (not the OS, but the HTC Sense UI).

    As near as I can tell, the Android world has only worsened since I left it. Malware has gotten much worse, with malicious programs that record your identity disguised as apps. It's to the point now that most carriers recommend running anti-malware software on your phone.

    The other place where Android falls flat is in apps. The worst iPhone apps are better than the best Android apps, period. And now that Android is so incredibly fragmented, trying to find an app that will run on your particular phone's feature set is becoming increasingly difficult. You end up running least-common-denominator Java apps that look like they were designed for a Commodore 64.

    Then there's Android multitasking. Yes, it multitasks very well - but there's also no control over it. Most apps don't have "exit" buttons, so they just run all the time until your phone is turned off. With all of these apps consuming CPU cycles, the phone ends up getting warm in your pocket and depleting the battery like no one's business. The solution? Download a "Task Killer". Basically a little program that sits in the menu bar that you'll need to pull up constantly to kill off apps that you're done with. Well, most apps - some are embedded in the firmware (Skype and CityID were two of my least favorite ones). These will constantly auto-launch, and there's no way to stop them without "rooting" your phone.

    I could go on, but I think you get the point. If you want something that works as it should, without a lot of drama, get the iPhone. If you link tinkering, tweaking and otherwise fighting with your computer, get an Android phone. It really does come down to just that.
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

    https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc

  3. #3
    iMac and iPhone 4 benefits?
    PatM's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 27, 2011
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    258
    Specs:
    Late 2013 MBP 15" I7 2.3 Ghz 16 GB Ram 500 GB SSD Retina
    Wow, thanks for that post. I too have the IPhone 4 and being a new Mac convert I like the simplicity of the sync etc. The one thing that I don't particularly enjoy about the IPhone is the sound. If I had to criticize one area of the IPhone it's the sound. It's weak and not very loud at all.. That being said I was contemplating looking at other phones but after the information you just shared NOT. I'll stay with the IPhone. Every other aspect of the phone is great and I am really pleased with it.

    Regards,

    Pat
    15 " 2013 MBP OS X Ver. 10.9.1 16 GB Memory, 500 GB SSD, Retina, 2.3 Ghz I7, 30GB IPhone 5, 2012 Mini Cooper JCW Coupe, 2014 Toyota Corolla, 2007 Trailblazer, 2 RC Planes, 1 fantastic wife who puts up with my toys. Still Married After 30 Years.

  4. #4
    iMac and iPhone 4 benefits?

    Member Since
    Jul 10, 2011
    Posts
    22
    Specs:
    27" 12gb iMac i5; iPhone 4s; 13.3" MacBook Air
    Quote Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
    I switched from an HTC Incredible to the iPhone. For me, it was all about stability and ease of use. The Incredible was a nice phone hardware-wise. Where it stumbled was the Android OS. Android is a mess. I spent more time fiddling with settings and trying to find some kind of balance to preserve battery life than actually enjoying the phone. The final straw was when the UI started to crash intermittently when I received a phone call. There's nothing like having your phone ringing, but you can't answer it because the UI is busily rebooting (not the OS, but the HTC Sense UI).

    As near as I can tell, the Android world has only worsened since I left it. Malware has gotten much worse, with malicious programs that record your identity disguised as apps. It's to the point now that most carriers recommend running anti-malware software on your phone.

    The other place where Android falls flat is in apps. The worst iPhone apps are better than the best Android apps, period. And now that Android is so incredibly fragmented, trying to find an app that will run on your particular phone's feature set is becoming increasingly difficult. You end up running least-common-denominator Java apps that look like they were designed for a Commodore 64.

    Then there's Android multitasking. Yes, it multitasks very well - but there's also no control over it. Most apps don't have "exit" buttons, so they just run all the time until your phone is turned off. With all of these apps consuming CPU cycles, the phone ends up getting warm in your pocket and depleting the battery like no one's business. The solution? Download a "Task Killer". Basically a little program that sits in the menu bar that you'll need to pull up constantly to kill off apps that you're done with. Well, most apps - some are embedded in the firmware (Skype and CityID were two of my least favorite ones). These will constantly auto-launch, and there's no way to stop them without "rooting" your phone.

    I could go on, but I think you get the point. If you want something that works as it should, without a lot of drama, get the iPhone. If you link tinkering, tweaking and otherwise fighting with your computer, get an Android phone. It really does come down to just that.

    Very helpful.. I've been contemplating an iPhone for a while...this may have pushed me over the edge

  5. #5
    iMac and iPhone 4 benefits?

    Member Since
    Aug 02, 2011
    Location
    Michigan, Usa
    Posts
    10
    Any pro/con thoughts about the apps being regulated and need of approval from apple? Also speed (the other phone im thinking of is the HTC Inspire 4G). I know the 8m camera is nice on the HTC but no forward facing. I've also heard friends talk about likes and dislikes of the HTC having removable memory (such as not being able to store apps on it). Big thing im looking for is...What can my i-mac do with the i-phone other phones cant? Also does anyone know if the HTC Inspire can be turned on its side while texting?
    Let us look each other in the the face. We are Hyperboreans, we know well enough how far outside the crowd we stand.

  6. #6
    iMac and iPhone 4 benefits?

    Member Since
    Jun 06, 2011
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    223
    Specs:
    2011 27in iMac i5 3.1GHz, AMD 6970, iPhone 4, Wi-Fi iPad 2
    Well- the thing is right now a lot of the capability is still fairly limited. However, this fall with the launch of iOS5 and possibly the new iPhone (if you can I'd recommend holding out to see what new features they add)
    iOS5 in combination with iCloud is going to really integrate all of Apple's devices. Syncing will be wireless between your computer and iphone- provided both are connected to the same network. All of your calendars, contacts, etc. can be synced wirelessly all the time through iCloud. Also the photostream portion of iCloud will ensure that any photos you take are automatically thrown into iPhoto. You will not be able to do this with an HTC phone come the fall.

    IMHO, after using an iPhone for two years I've found very hard to use any other type of smart phone other than a black($h*#)berry.

  7. #7
    iMac and iPhone 4 benefits?
    cwa107's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 20, 2006
    Location
    Lake Mary, Florida
    Posts
    26,758
    Specs:
    15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyperborean View Post
    Any pro/con thoughts about the apps being regulated and need of approval from apple?
    Pros - Apps are usually of high quality and no malware issues.

    Cons - Anything the carrier or Apple doesn't want you to have (think free tethering) is excluded. You can always jailbreak, but then you're taking your phone out of standards, which can introduce stability and security issues.

    Also speed (the other phone im thinking of is the HTC Inspire 4G).
    If you have 4G in your area, then you'll definitely see a huge improvement in throughput when you're mobile (i.e. away from WiFi). The service areas are pretty limited at this point, and existing 4G chipsets are battery hogs. So, if you can make do with the slower 3G transfer rates, that does work to your advantage in terms of how often you have to be tethered to an outlet.

    I know the 8m camera is nice on the HTC but no forward facing.
    It's overrated and the lens scratches easily, because it protrudes from the base of the phone. IMO, 5MP is fine for a phone camera. Anything else is overkill.

    I've also heard friends talk about likes and dislikes of the HTC having removable memory (such as not being able to store apps on it).
    Or when it decides to dis-mount for no apparent reason or the card gets corrupted because that unknown reason for dis-mount ends up corrupting the card. I'm not sure if this is an Android or hardware problem, but I never trusted the external storage because I lost data on it here and there.

    Big thing im looking for is...What can my i-mac do with the i-phone other phones cant?
    Sync your iTunes library seamlessly. Backup properly. Easy firmware updates. Seamless integration with your PIM apps (Mail/Calendar/Address Book, etc). Not force you into running Windows to use their craptastic "HTC Sync".

    Also does anyone know if the HTC Inspire can be turned on its side while texting?
    Can't answer that one.
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

    https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc

  8. #8
    iMac and iPhone 4 benefits?

    Member Since
    Aug 02, 2011
    Location
    Michigan, Usa
    Posts
    10
    just checked back in again and i have to thank all that have posted so far. a lot of great info here.
    Let us look each other in the the face. We are Hyperboreans, we know well enough how far outside the crowd we stand.

  9. #9
    iMac and iPhone 4 benefits?
    chas_m's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 22, 2010
    Location
    Victoria, BC
    Posts
    18,971
    Specs:
    Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), Monoprice 24-inch second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB
    Since I have nothing to add to cwa's most excellent summaries (except that the App Store is just way better overall than Android Market), I'll be the nitpicky nerd who mentions that it's "iMac" and "iPhone" not I-Mac and I-Phone.

  10. #10
    iMac and iPhone 4 benefits?

    Member Since
    Aug 02, 2011
    Location
    Michigan, Usa
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
    I'll be the nitpicky nerd who mentions that it's "iMac" and "iPhone" not I-Mac and I-Phone.

    oh boy... Sorry new to the whole a-Pp-le I/mAC thing still learning i guess.

    (just messin)
    Let us look each other in the the face. We are Hyperboreans, we know well enough how far outside the crowd we stand.

  11. #11
    iMac and iPhone 4 benefits?
    chas_m's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 22, 2010
    Location
    Victoria, BC
    Posts
    18,971
    Specs:
    Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), Monoprice 24-inch second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB
    n0 :pr0bl3m.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. just about ipad benefits :)
    By eimantas1994 in forum iPad Hardware and Accessories
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-17-2012, 08:47 AM
  2. Benefits of upgrading RAM??
    By stusam81 in forum Movies and Video
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-02-2012, 07:17 PM
  3. Benefits of a Macbook over a PC
    By Joel in forum Switcher Hangout
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 03-19-2009, 05:32 PM
  4. MBP benefits?
    By kuklachica in forum Switcher Hangout
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-28-2007, 07:57 PM
  5. Benefits of HFS+ ?
    By RTP in forum Other Hardware and Peripherals
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-08-2007, 11:18 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •