Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 19
  1. #1
    Advice on how to deal with Apple customer relations

    Member Since
    Mar 31, 2011
    Posts
    8
    Advice on how to deal with Apple customer relations
    Hey guys, I just switched to Mac about a month ago, when the line was refreshed.

    The first machine I got, a 2.0GHz MBP (with applecare), made strange beeping noises when I did two finger scrolling in Bootcamp and also the music skipped if I played it too loudly. I kept the replacement for about a week then I exchanged it for a 2.2GHz model because I felt I needed more graphics power. After setting it up and installing things on it I noticed a stuck pixel on the display! I packed it up and returned it to the store.

    In the store I opened another one and checked for stuck pixels and sure enough the one I just opened had another stuck pixel. Finally, the third one was fine and I ended up taking it home where I'm still using it. No issues so far.

    I asked the Apple salesperson if Apple offer good-will gestures or compensation for customers that are dissatisfied and have been inconvenienced and he essentially said no, either I want the laptop or I don't. However, I spoke to Apple on the phone and they told me had I bought it through the telephone sales they would have offered something in the way of compensation for my trouble so I'm a little confused.

    I rang the store and asked to speak to a manager (this was three days ago) and the girl told me she'll pass on my details but I haven't heard anything back from them yet. Her attitude was first one of incredulity and then "Things happens".

    Now I'm tempted to call Apple Customer Services and explain all of this to them.

    My question is do you think I should bother or will they just tell me to build a bridge and get over it? I switched to Apple because I had heard about their legendary customer support and also the reliability of their products so I feel a little let down.

    On the plus side I'm enjoying my new acquisition, it's a dream to use (finally) with no issues of overheating or freezing.

    Thanks for reading, hopefully someone can provide some guidance, or maybe even leads as to who I should contact?

  2. #2
    Advice on how to deal with Apple customer relations

    Member Since
    Sep 09, 2009
    Location
    Down Under :D
    Posts
    5,484
    Specs:
    Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
    Honestly, you had a bit of bad luck, but Apple rectified the situation.
    I don't know if you have purchased a computer from anywhere else before, but you had no problems, no questions asked, and got a good machine in the end after a minor inconvenience.

  3. #3
    Advice on how to deal with Apple customer relations
    cwa107's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 20, 2006
    Location
    Lake Mary, Florida
    Posts
    26,758
    Specs:
    15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD
    Quote Originally Posted by 6string View Post
    Honestly, you had a bit of bad luck, but Apple rectified the situation.
    I don't know if you have purchased a computer from anywhere else before, but you had no problems, no questions asked, and got a good machine in the end after a minor inconvenience.
    I'd tend to agree. Apple is usually pretty reasonable - and although I've read stores of them going to great lengths to make satisfied customers, it seems like those issues were more severe. Most companies I've dealt with (Lenovo, Dell, HP, etc) would be reluctant to replace even a new machine. They'd be far more likely to want to repair it.
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

    https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc

  4. #4
    Advice on how to deal with Apple customer relations
    pigoo3's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 20, 2008
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    31,502
    Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.7.5
    Quote Originally Posted by ferretlips View Post
    My question is do you think I should bother or will they just tell me to build a bridge and get over it?
    I think that you should simply get over it! You got a working computer...Apple gave you no hassles doing all of the exchanges...now you're good to go.

    Technically speaking...all computer companies have detailed policies regarding dead pixels on the displays. And let me tell you...normally you need way more than 1 dead pixel (unless they're clustered together) to be authorized a replacement computer with most computer companies. So the fact that Apple let you exchange it with only 1 dead pixel was a favor to you!

    Enjoy the computer...and move on!

    - Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

  5. #5
    Advice on how to deal with Apple customer relations
    Doug b's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 22, 2008
    Location
    Forest Hills, NYC
    Posts
    3,343
    Specs:
    15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
    I'm SO confused. You returned the original problematic item in exchange for an entirely different model. This new model, had a dead pixel, so you took it back and then they afforded you the opportunity to try yet another one in-store, to make sure it wouldn't happen again, which it did, and thankfully you caught it! So they got out another one, which you are now satisfied with...

    What possible "compensation" could you be hoping for in a simple case of "things do happen" ? Where exactly do you place the blame for you having to be "inconvenienced" ? You likely could have just RMA'd the product and they could have sent you another one via Fedex or UPS for free.. but then you'd still see that as an inconvenience I'm guessing, since you'd have to wait for it.

    Personally I think you're being a bit of a baby about this. Why do you think you deserve compensation? I really don't. If I were in your place, I'd be happy that there's no hassle in getting a new replacement item. I'm just kind of dumbfounded that you'd even think about being compensated.. I don't understand what for? Seriously, I'm perplexed.

    Doug

  6. #6
    Advice on how to deal with Apple customer relations

    Member Since
    Mar 31, 2011
    Posts
    8
    I would ordinarily move on but the repeated hassle of having to reinstall everything each time...

    But as I said, the one I have now, a 2.2GHz stock configuration, is working beautifully. It idles at about 35c in OS X and around 50c in Windows.

    I guess I'll just stick with what I have then

    Cheers

  7. #7
    Advice on how to deal with Apple customer relations
    pigoo3's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 20, 2008
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    31,502
    Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.7.5
    Quote Originally Posted by ferretlips View Post

    But as I said, the one I have now, a 2.2GHz stock configuration, is working beautifully. It idles at about 35c in OS X and around 50c in Windows.
    I was a little confused as well. You said that you started out with the 2.0ghz model...and then ended up with a 2.2ghz model with better graphics hardware. Did you pay extra for the 2.2ghz model...or did Apple offer it to you at no extra charge?

    Thanks,

    - Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

  8. #8
    Advice on how to deal with Apple customer relations

    Member Since
    Mar 31, 2011
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug b View Post
    I'm SO confused. You returned the original problematic item in exchange for an entirely different model. This new model, had a dead pixel, so you took it back and then they afforded you the opportunity to try yet another one in-store, to make sure it wouldn't happen again, which it did, and thankfully you caught it! So they got out another one, which you are now satisfied with...

    What possible "compensation" could you be hoping for in a simple case of "things do happen" ? Where exactly do you place the blame for you having to be "inconvenienced" ? You likely could have just RMA'd the product and they could have sent you another one via Fedex or UPS for free.. but then you'd still see that as an inconvenience I'm guessing, since you'd have to wait for it.

    Personally I think you're being a bit of a baby about this. Why do you think you deserve compensation? I really don't. If I were in your place, I'd be happy that there's no hassle in getting a new replacement item. I'm just kind of dumbfounded that you'd even think about being compensated.. I don't understand what for? Seriously, I'm perplexed.

    Doug
    No, I returned the one with faulty hardware for one with the same model, I *then* upgraded to the more expensive 15" model.

    I thought I deserved compensation because of the hassle and time wasted having to install things repeatedly, like Windows 7, Office, my music library, movies, etc.

    There's no need for name calling. I just came on this forum for advice, not to be patronised or belittled by schmucks like you who seem to lack reading comprehension.

  9. #9
    Advice on how to deal with Apple customer relations

    Member Since
    Mar 31, 2011
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    I was a little confused as well. You said that you started out with the 2.0ghz model...and then ended up with a 2.2ghz model with better graphics hardware. Did you pay extra for the 2.2ghz model...or did Apple offer it to you at no extra charge?

    Thanks,

    - Nick
    I opted to pay for the upgrade because I felt I needed better graphics processing power, it wasn't offered. I tested various things on the replacement 2.0GHz model and wasn't satisfied with the outcomes.

    As you said, it was nice of them to let me exchange things no questions asked

  10. #10
    Advice on how to deal with Apple customer relations
    pigoo3's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 20, 2008
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    31,502
    Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.7.5
    Quote Originally Posted by ferretlips View Post
    I opted to pay for the upgrade because I felt I needed better graphics processing power, it wasn't offered. I tested various things on the replacement 2.0GHz model and wasn't satisfied with the outcomes.

    As you said, it was nice of them to let me exchange things no questions asked
    Thanks for the info. Yeah...maybe it would have been nice if they had given you the 2.2ghz model at no extra charge. But the deal is...these sort of "random acts of kindness" are just that...random acts of kindness. It really depends on who you're working with (grumpy or nice, new employee or veteran, how you present yourself, if the store is busy or not, etc.).

    I don't think that there is any written policy on how & when these "random acts of kindness" take place. Overall...Apple is MUCH MUCH better than any other computer company out there!!!

    - Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

  11. #11
    Advice on how to deal with Apple customer relations
    Doug b's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 22, 2008
    Location
    Forest Hills, NYC
    Posts
    3,343
    Specs:
    15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
    Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    I think that you should simply get over it! You got a working computer...Apple gave you no hassles doing all of the exchanges...now you're good to go.

    Technically speaking...all computer companies have detailed policies regarding dead pixels on the displays. And let me tell you...normally you need way more than 1 dead pixel (unless they're clustered together) to be authorized a replacement computer with most computer companies. So the fact that Apple let you exchange it with only 1 dead pixel was a favor to you!

    Enjoy the computer...and move on!

    - Nick
    Well, technically speaking... he could very well just have returned it no questions asked, since it was still within the warranty period, and they knew that. Add to that, he also bought Applecare. So he is covered no matter what. Some may see a single dead pixel as no big deal, but if you're working in the graphics industry or similar, then it's definitely a big deal and I'm sure they'd sympathize. This is where Apple is known for their great CS standards. It's not just because they have to honor their warranty policies...

    I've known people whom were WELL out of their warranty period, and have had their MacBooks just go dead, and have had them replaced for free with brand new models! (base models of course, but that's amazing to me)

    As for the OP's claim however, I don't see it as an issue whatsoever. I just see it as trying to get something for nothing. I loathe that kind of thing really. It's that kind of mentality which is bringing the U.S. to its knees with the whole "you owe me" and "I'm entitled" mindset.

    Sorry for the rant, I guess.

    Doug

  12. #12
    Advice on how to deal with Apple customer relations
    pigoo3's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 20, 2008
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    31,502
    Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.7.5
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug b View Post
    Well, technically speaking... he could very well just have returned it no questions asked, since it was still within the warranty period, and they knew that.
    You're definitely right. Since the computer is basically brand new (assuming we're talking within the 14 day return period)...the computer certainly could have been returned no questions asked (for a full refund if desired).

    - Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

  13. #13
    Advice on how to deal with Apple customer relations

    Member Since
    Mar 31, 2011
    Posts
    8
    I was polite when I returned the one with the dead pixels, and the one with the hardware fault. I wasn't really expecting any sort of compensation/good-will gesture but a friend who works at an apple store (sadly not the one near me) told me that in such circumstances they offer little things like 10 itunes vouchers or store credit or some acknowledgment that the customer had been inconvenienced.

    THEN of course you read on various forums about people being recompensed for their troubles. I just thought to get some opinions before I acted, thus saving Apple and myself time and hassle

  14. #14
    Advice on how to deal with Apple customer relations
    Doug b's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 22, 2008
    Location
    Forest Hills, NYC
    Posts
    3,343
    Specs:
    15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
    Quote Originally Posted by ferretlips View Post
    No, I returned the one with faulty hardware for one with the same model, I *then* upgraded to the more expensive 15" model.

    I thought I deserved compensation because of the hassle and time wasted having to install things repeatedly, like Windows 7, Office, my music library, movies, etc.

    There's no need for name calling. I just came on this forum for advice, not to be patronised or belittled by schmucks like you who seem to lack reading comprehension.
    No, my reading comprehension is actually quite good. It's your false sense of entitlement as well as your diminished sense of reality which is to blame here. Why should Apple care that you need to install Windows, or any other software for that matter ! lol..... And name calling? You ARE behaving like a spoiled baby! Get over it bub... we all have software to install. And just because something goes wrong at the hardware level, is really no one's fault. Things DO happen !

    You're barking up the wrong tree here. Your misguided bitterness comes from the fact that you obviously haven't dealt much with real life. You want compensation? Go call a lawyer.. I'm sure you can find one chasing an ambulance somewhere. Grow up, please.

    Love peace and soul...

    Doug

  15. #15
    Advice on how to deal with Apple customer relations
    pigoo3's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 20, 2008
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    31,502
    Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.7.5
    Come on Doug...let's be nice please.

    - Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Apple ibook G4 -deal or no deal?
    By LittleAL in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 06-05-2011, 08:50 AM
  2. Whats the deal? I need advice please.......
    By Mac_OS in forum Switcher Hangout
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10-20-2007, 11:49 PM
  3. Apple's Customer Service
    By Deacon07 in forum Schweb's Lounge
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-09-2007, 03:18 AM
  4. Apple Customer Service
    By misskool in forum Schweb's Lounge
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 08-18-2006, 09:46 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •