Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Formatting but leave OS X??

    Member Since
    Jan 09, 2010
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    13
    Specs:
    Macbook, 2.1 Core2, 1GB Ram, 160GB HD. 8GB Touch.
    Formatting but leave OS X??
    Hi everyone, is there any way to format my Macbook but leave the OS X there? I got my laptop from a friend but he has left alot of stuff on it and I can't do a fresh install as I don't have any discs.


    Cheers
    Tom

  2. #2
    Formatting but leave OS X??
    Collin Bl's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 07, 2009
    Location
    Napier NZ
    Posts
    3,291
    Specs:
    27 iMac i5, MBP 13 & iMac 20, 2TB dual TC, AppleTV, iPh4S
    Go into Sys Prefs/Accounts and add new User and enable fast user switching then log into new one and delete his Home Folder. If the friend gave u the laptop then he should have given u the install disc. Now is the time to sort it rather than in a years time when u have a problem and need the info on the MB

  3. #3
    Formatting but leave OS X??
    McBie's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 26, 2008
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    2,676
    Specs:
    2013 MBA 13" - OS X 10.10.5
    Formatting will destroy everything on a partition, including OS X.
    If you don't have any discs, my suggestion is to either get the discs from your friend, or buy a set

    Cheers ... McBie
    A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.
    The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

  4. #4
    Formatting but leave OS X??

    Member Since
    Mar 30, 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    4,744
    Specs:
    12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
    Quote Originally Posted by McBie View Post
    If you don't have any discs, my suggestion is to either get the discs from your friend, or buy a set

    Cheers ... McBie
    Agreed. You're going to need those discs sooner or later.

  5. #5
    Formatting but leave OS X??
    Hi Tek's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 25, 2009
    Location
    Canada, NS
    Posts
    71
    Specs:
    15" MacBook Pro (OS X Leopard 10.5.8), Intel Core 2 Duo (2.53Ghz), 4GB RAM, 7200RPM/250GB HDD
    There is no other solution. You need! those restore CD's.
    “All things must come to an end, it is an inevitable part of the cycle of existence, all things must conclude”

    -Unknown

  6. #6
    Formatting but leave OS X??
    dtravis7's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 04, 2005
    Location
    Modesto, Ca.
    Posts
    28,480
    Specs:
    iMac late 2007 10.11.b4, iMac 2008 10.10.5, Macbook2007 10.7.5, Mac Mini 10.7.5, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!
    What Colin said would work for now BUT....

    Like others have said, get the install DVD's for that machine ASAP. If something goes wrong you will need them like others have said.

  7. #7
    Formatting but leave OS X??

    Member Since
    Jan 09, 2010
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    13
    Specs:
    Macbook, 2.1 Core2, 1GB Ram, 160GB HD. 8GB Touch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Collin Bl View Post
    Go into Sys Prefs/Accounts and add new User and enable fast user switching then log into new one and delete his Home Folder. If the friend gave u the laptop then he should have given u the install disc. Now is the time to sort it rather than in a years time when u have a problem and need the info on the MB
    Cheers but somehow he has already made me the admin on the laptop with my own account.

    The only problem is in Finder- Macintosh HD- Users- he still has a folder with his name which I can't delete. Also it says his name on the log on screen.

  8. #8
    Formatting but leave OS X??

    Member Since
    Mar 30, 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    4,744
    Specs:
    12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom163 View Post
    Cheers but somehow he has already made me the admin on the laptop with my own account.

    The only problem is in Finder- Macintosh HD- Users- he still has a folder with his name which I can't delete. Also it says his name on the log on screen.
    Just insert those discs that everyone told you to get and re-install, and you'll be golden.

  9. #9
    Formatting but leave OS X??

    Member Since
    Jan 09, 2010
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    13
    Specs:
    Macbook, 2.1 Core2, 1GB Ram, 160GB HD. 8GB Touch.
    Yeah i've ordered some but they wont be here for days. I was wondering in the mean time.

  10. #10
    Formatting but leave OS X??
    harryb2448's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 28, 2007
    Location
    Nambucca Heads Australia
    Posts
    20,061
    Specs:
    iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.5
    What OS did you order and trust you actually did purchase the full retail install DVD and not a silver grey model specific disc from eBay sellers? They are extremely model specific.

  11. #11
    Formatting but leave OS X??

    Member Since
    Jan 09, 2010
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    13
    Specs:
    Macbook, 2.1 Core2, 1GB Ram, 160GB HD. 8GB Touch.

  12. #12
    Formatting but leave OS X??
    emiljan91's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 09, 2009
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    21
    Specs:
    Macbook Pro 13" (mid-09) | Specs:(2.26Ghz CPU,2gb ram, 160gb HD, Nvidia 9400m 256mb DDR3)
    That will work just fine.

    Also the retail version of Snow Leopard doesn't come with the iLife Suite, you need to purchase that separate.

    Also when i comes time to reinstall; make sure you delete your old partition using disk utility and then install snow leopard because if the Macbook has leopard(osx 10.5) on there now; when you pop in the snow leapord(10.6) disk it will assume you want to do an upgrade instead of a fresh install and keep all of your old settings and transfer them over to the fresh install.

    So long story short:
    To install Snow Leopard; put in your snow leopard disk, open disk utility and reformat the HD and then proceed to install snow leopard.

    Here is a video showing you how to do a fresh install of Snow Leopard:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhLUc...eature=related

  13. #13
    Formatting but leave OS X??

    Member Since
    Jan 09, 2010
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    13
    Specs:
    Macbook, 2.1 Core2, 1GB Ram, 160GB HD. 8GB Touch.
    Quote Originally Posted by emiljan91 View Post
    That will work just fine.

    Also the retail version of Snow Leopard doesn't come with the iLife Suite, you need to purchase that separate.

    Also when i comes time to reinstall; make sure you delete your old partition using disk utility and then install snow leopard because if the Macbook has leopard(osx 10.5) on there now; when you pop in the snow leapord(10.6) disk it will assume you want to do an upgrade instead of a fresh install and keep all of your old settings and transfer them over to the fresh install.

    So long story short:
    To install Snow Leopard; put in your snow leopard disk, open disk utility and reformat the HD and then proceed to install snow leopard.

    Here is a video showing you how to do a fresh install of Snow Leopard:
    YouTube - Guide: How To Do A Clean Fresh Full Install Of Apple Snow Leopard OS X 10.6

    Good news. Sorry to be a complete noob but whats this Isuite thing and what does it include??

    Cheers

  14. #14
    Formatting but leave OS X??
    Collin Bl's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 07, 2009
    Location
    Napier NZ
    Posts
    3,291
    Specs:
    27 iMac i5, MBP 13 & iMac 20, 2TB dual TC, AppleTV, iPh4S
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom163 View Post
    Cheers but somehow he has already made me the admin on the laptop with my own account.

    The only problem is in Finder- Macintosh HD- Users- he still has a folder with his name which I can't delete. Also it says his name on the log on screen.
    Don't use Finder to remove User accounts, do it in Sys Prefs/Accounts by selecting the account in the left pane and clicking the - at the base of the pane, but you must be logged into another Admin User Account to do that.
    When u get your new Snow Leopard put on 2 Admin accounts in case u need the other for future troubleshooting - sort of insurance.

  15. #15
    Formatting but leave OS X??
    Reel1's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 29, 2006
    Location
    Barrie, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    606
    Specs:
    2.16 GHz Intel Imac Core 2 Duo//MacBook 1.83 Core 2 Duo//G5 Power Mac
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom163 View Post
    Good news. Sorry to be a complete noob but whats this Isuite thing and what does it include??

    Cheers
    Here you go

    Apple - iLife - Do more with photos, movies, and music on a Mac.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Is it better to leave my display on or off??
    By mindgone5150 in forum Apple Desktops
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-22-2009, 08:53 PM
  2. Leave it on or not?
    By alexsd123 in forum Switcher Hangout
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-10-2009, 10:50 AM
  3. Can you leave feedback on here and if so how?
    By hovie in forum Community Suggestions and Feedback
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-29-2008, 11:58 PM
  4. leave it to the Pro's
    By milk in forum OS X - Operating System
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-02-2008, 04:28 PM
  5. Do You Leave Your iMac On...???
    By mrchef1 in forum Apple Desktops
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 11-08-2007, 12:27 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •