Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 28 of 28
  1. #16
    apple in-store ' one-to-one' is a rip-off
    yamawho's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 07, 2009
    Location
    Montreal, Quebec
    Posts
    120
    Specs:
    Mac Mini late 09 version
    As an enthusiast I use linux and windows and on a regular basis.
    Although I use my mini everyday, I still also use windows 7 for gaming and linux for personal functions. I "needed" to buy a mini like I need a hole in a head but there you go, I bought one anyway ... for the fun of it.

    Getting back to the issue of the OP, I don't know what kind of person you are or how much stress you are willing to endure over this but I would go back and get what I paid for or get a refund.

    If you meet resistance, showing your displeasure in a store full of customers will be in your favour.

  2. #17
    apple in-store ' one-to-one' is a rip-off
    D3v1L80Y's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 02, 2004
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    12,456
    Specs:
    MacBook
    Quote Originally Posted by yamawho View Post

    If you meet resistance, showing your displeasure in a store full of customers will be in your favour.
    No, you'll just end up looking like "that" guy... the adult who is complaining and whining and throwing a tantrum like a child.

    If you meet resistance at the store level, then you take it further by contacting the regional or district office.
    You don't cause a scene in public.
    __________________________________________________
    Posting and YOU|Forum Community Guidelines|The Apple Product Cycle|Forum Courtesy

    mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
    MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
    Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.


  3. #18
    apple in-store ' one-to-one' is a rip-off
    yamawho's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 07, 2009
    Location
    Montreal, Quebec
    Posts
    120
    Specs:
    Mac Mini late 09 version
    Quote Originally Posted by D3v1L80Y View Post
    No, you'll just end up looking like "that" guy... the adult who is complaining and whining and throwing a tantrum like a child.

    If you meet resistance at the store level, then you take it further by contacting the regional or district office.
    You don't cause a scene in public.
    I didn't say a tantrum ...

    You can take it up a level but you run the risk of being labelled ...

  4. #19
    apple in-store ' one-to-one' is a rip-off

    Member Since
    Nov 09, 2009
    Posts
    149
    This dilemma has been on my mind all day. I could quiet easily pretend that nothing has happened and re-book another session and take it form there, but I really feel somehwat upset that i have to go back to that store again , an embarassment that isn't my fault in the slightest. i will ask for a refund and do as someone suggested, and thats learn the mac through trial and error, firums and you tube etc.

    this has left a very bad taste in my mouth.

  5. #20
    apple in-store ' one-to-one' is a rip-off
    yamawho's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 07, 2009
    Location
    Montreal, Quebec
    Posts
    120
    Specs:
    Mac Mini late 09 version
    You can play dumb and go back and ask what this plan entitles you to ... better still call and ask.

  6. #21
    apple in-store ' one-to-one' is a rip-off
    Doug b's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 22, 2008
    Location
    Forest Hills, NYC
    Posts
    3,343
    Specs:
    15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
    Quote Originally Posted by bluefox9er View Post
    This dilemma has been on my mind all day. I could quiet easily pretend that nothing has happened and re-book another session and take it form there, but I really feel somehwat upset that i have to go back to that store again , an embarassment that isn't my fault in the slightest. i will ask for a refund and do as someone suggested, and thats learn the mac through trial and error, firums and you tube etc.

    this has left a very bad taste in my mouth.
    As well it should. And sorry to say but, it's not Chad's fault. It's yours. Chad, is an blithering idiot. You however, should know better than Chad because you, are the customer. You were sold a product at face value and this wanna-be artistic schmuck who knows NOTHING about the company he works for (obviously) got you all shell shocked and too nervous to complain for some reason.

    You march your butt back into that store, get someone in charge, and you tell him about Chad, and how he spoke to you in such a condescending way. While some of the Apple folk at some of these stores are absolutely revolting because of their practiced, emotionless mantra's and holier than though "because we work for Mr. Jobs" attitudes, you will find that there are also some really cool people too.

    You can actually spot them. They stick out like a sore thumb, actually. Hopefully, those types make it to managerial positions. Please don't take this one experience and blame every Apple employee and think they're all the same. At the end of the day, they're around to take your money for a service in return. You were sold a product which works the way you think it does, and NOT how CHAD thinks it does. He's an @$$

    A friend of mine back in NY wanted to sell me his One on One sessions for the year (last year) because he received it as a gift. I'm technically inclined, so I didn't need it but, my friend whom did attend a session or two, explained exactly how it worked, and it is exactly what YOU think it is supposed to be.

    Chad needs to be let go. He is a HORRIBLE Apple employee and they don't want people like him running his mouth, misrepresenting them.... Period.

    Report him.

    Doug

  7. #22
    apple in-store ' one-to-one' is a rip-off

    Member Since
    Dec 15, 2009
    Posts
    3
    One-to-One is a rip-off
    I too am having a disagreeable experience with the Mac One-to-One program. I purchased the program last month with my Mac pro notebook, and was able to get two appointments last month. This month (here in Charlotte) there are NO APPOINTMENTS AVAILABLE whenever I have tried to reserve an appt on the website. I am fortunate in having a very flexible schedule and am not seeking an appointment at the busiest time. I'm willing to come in just about any time.

    I've just gotten off the phone with "one of the managers" and was told that it is necessary to frequently keep checking to see if there have been any cancellations. They only put up the schedule two weeks out and once those appointments are gone, that's it -- unless there are cancellations.

    According to the gentleman I spoke with, they do not have a regular schedule for when they post the new appointment availability times, and only post it when they find time or get around to it, making it a roll of the dice as to when you might find a new schedule on line.

    One to One is a wonderful idea and the two appts. I've had were very useful. However, I did not realize I was buying into some kind of a lottery as to being lucky enough to find an appointment.

    I was told that there is no "guarantee" and that appointments are available on a first-come basis. He was pleasant, but the bottom line is "tough luck." It would seem to me that they have simply OVERSOLD these programs at this particular store, and there are more people seeking appointments than they can accommodate.

    Apple needs to be more upfront about this situation when pushing the sale of the One to One program to a trusting customer.

  8. #23
    apple in-store ' one-to-one' is a rip-off

    Member Since
    Dec 11, 2009
    Posts
    21
    Specs:
    10.6 on 21.5" iMac, 3.06 intel dual core, 4gb, 500 gb HDD
    1. I agree whole-heartedly that you shouldn't have to go through the hassle in the first place. It's the kind of thing that can't be won...you'll be angry at your earlier experience, you've already been made to be inconvenienced, and if they accommodate you, there's a chance they'll just "go through the motions" if they are truly, what was it, steaming piles of "candied apples" .

    But, I recommend

    2. Go to that site that someone's posted about the one-to-one policy and print it out in its entirety. Then, when they try to tell you that it's for more advanced users, point to the area you've highlighted, explain that it's not how you read the policy, and if they'd kindly point out in the same policy what they are talking about. If they can't, demand a refund, since obviously there is some confusion between apple the company and "chad" the self-imposed apple-store-king.

  9. #24
    apple in-store ' one-to-one' is a rip-off

    Member Since
    Apr 09, 2009
    Location
    Ithaca NY
    Posts
    2,073
    Specs:
    13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
    Quote Originally Posted by babs View Post
    I too am having a disagreeable experience with the Mac One-to-One program. I purchased the program last month with my Mac pro notebook, and was able to get two appointments last month. This month (here in Charlotte) there are NO APPOINTMENTS AVAILABLE whenever I have tried to reserve an appt on the website. I am fortunate in having a very flexible schedule and am not seeking an appointment at the busiest time. I'm willing to come in just about any time.

    I've just gotten off the phone with "one of the managers" and was told that it is necessary to frequently keep checking to see if there have been any cancellations. They only put up the schedule two weeks out and once those appointments are gone, that's it -- unless there are cancellations.

    According to the gentleman I spoke with, they do not have a regular schedule for when they post the new appointment availability times, and only post it when they find time or get around to it, making it a roll of the dice as to when you might find a new schedule on line.

    One to One is a wonderful idea and the two appts. I've had were very useful. However, I did not realize I was buying into some kind of a lottery as to being lucky enough to find an appointment.

    I was told that there is no "guarantee" and that appointments are available on a first-come basis. He was pleasant, but the bottom line is "tough luck." It would seem to me that they have simply OVERSOLD these programs at this particular store, and there are more people seeking appointments than they can accommodate.

    Apple needs to be more upfront about this situation when pushing the sale of the One to One program to a trusting customer.
    You do realize it's the month of December and there is a ridiculous amount of holiday shopping going on, right? That means people buying new macs with one to one sessions that need to be booked, either as gifts, or because they are getting it for their family and want to know how it works. There are appointments, and it's a popular time of year. Kind of like how fall into winter is a busier time for doctors.

  10. #25
    apple in-store ' one-to-one' is a rip-off

    Member Since
    Nov 09, 2009
    Posts
    149
    Apple One to One service..
    I just feel compelled to any 'lurkers' here or even regulars about how wonderful Apple's one-to-one service is, especially for switchers.

    my first one to one session was an absolute disaster as i experienced the nastiest apple employee ever...I did complain and it turned out several people had also complained about this person, and the store manager really pressed me to continue with one to one.

    I am so glad i did, and these sessions really do resolve all those little niggles that make macs and windows so different. i am amazed how much depth there is to a mac system, but not only that, just how simple, easy to use and above all, fun AND productive these computers are!!

    To all switchers...make the one to one service your SECOND purchase from apple and go for it!

  11. #26
    apple in-store ' one-to-one' is a rip-off
    cwa107's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 20, 2006
    Location
    Lake Mary, Florida
    Posts
    26,758
    Specs:
    15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD
    NOTE: Merged threads, since this seems like the happy ending to this story.
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

    https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc

  12. #27
    apple in-store ' one-to-one' is a rip-off

    Member Since
    Apr 09, 2009
    Location
    Ithaca NY
    Posts
    2,073
    Specs:
    13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
    I'm glad to hear it worked out for you, bluefoxer. I knew it should have worked better than it did for you, so I'm glad to hear you got your situation resolved. And yea, there is a lot of depth to OS X for advanced users while remaining simple and user friendly on the surface.

    Most excellent!

  13. #28
    apple in-store ' one-to-one' is a rip-off

    Member Since
    Dec 28, 2009
    Location
    KY
    Posts
    16
    Specs:
    13" MBP; 4GB RAM; 250GB HD
    1 -to -1
    As a new Mac user, I too, bought the one-to-one package with my MBP. I had never used a Mac & as a Windows analyst, I feared the worst & wanted to rid myself of all of the Windows related thoughts that would be running through my brain when trying to use my MBP.

    I was a bit nervous when I showed up at the Apple store for the OSX one-to-one session & the guy asked me, "so what are we working on today??". It came as a surprise to me that these sessions were project oriented, or based on some sort of project that I would be working on at home. I just figured an OSX one-to-one session would be a 1 hour session with someone who had more knowledge about the subject, giving me direction on how to use Mac's OSX.

    The guy I was working with was very knowledgable & once I explained to him that I was a Windows analyst & was new to Mac, he was able to show me more admin related items on the Mac. It ended up being quite helpful, but still makes me leary about any future one-to-one sessions. I'm not sure it was worth the $100 I paid to Apple though.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Apple Care is a Rip Off!!!
    By Chadhwilliams in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 08-23-2012, 07:29 PM
  2. Porn store for Android targeted in Apple's 'App Store' trademark defense
    By the8thark in forum Apple Rumors and Reports
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-23-2011, 07:34 PM
  3. Buy at Apple Store vs. Apple Online Store
    By musicvortex in forum Switcher Hangout
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-27-2007, 10:36 PM
  4. Apple Online Store versus Apple Store
    By userofreality in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-02-2006, 11:45 AM
  5. b&m Apple Store vs Apple Store online
    By elocs in forum Switcher Hangout
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-14-2005, 12:12 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •