Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 19

Thread: iBook G4

  1. #1
    Mac2PCBak2Mac
    Guest
    iBook G4
    I am currently returning to Mac after a hiatus of 8 years. I was looking to purchase an iBook G4 that was offered to me hours ago. I was wondering if the system I will be purchasing can run smooth and if it can run games(mvp 2004/5, Madden 05, half life etc...) well. I might have more questions once I purchase the system.

    Here are the specs

    Processor 1.07GHz PowerPC G4

    Memory (DDR SDRAM) 256MB PC2100 (266MHz)

    Hard drive 30GB ATA/100 4200 rpm

    Optical drive Slot-Load Combo Drive (DVD/CD-RW)

    Display 12.1-inch (diagonal) TFT XGA

    Graphics support ATI Mobility Radeon 9200 with 32MB of DDR SDRAM

    FireWire One FireWire 400 port at up to 400 Mbps

    USB Two USB 2.0 ports at up to 480 Mbps each

    Modem Built-in 56K V.92 modem

    Ethernet Built-in 10/100BASE-T Ethernet

    System software Mac OS X version 10.3 Panther

    Software Mac OS X, Classic environment, Mail, iChat AV, Safari, Sherlock, Address Book, QuickTime, iLife (includes iTunes, iPhoto, iMovie, iDVD, GarageBand), iSync, iCal, DVD Player, AppleWorks, Mac OS X Chess, Microsoft Internet Explorer, EarthLink, Quicken 2005 for Mac, World Book 2004 Edition, Nanosaur 2, Marble Blast Gold, Microsoft Office 2004 for Mac Test Drive, Zinio Reader, Apple Hardware Test

    Hardware accessories Apple VGA Display Adapter, modem cable, power adapter, AC wall plug, power cord, lithium-ion battery

  2. #2
    zap2
    Guest
    how much would this cost [ not to be rude but to see if its worth it?]

  3. #3
    Desolate One
    Guest
    You're definitely want to get more RAM, especially for anything graphically intensive- like gaming. Unfortunately I'm not much a computer gamer so I couldn't give you a definite answer as far as running those apps.

  4. #4
    Mac2PCBak2Mac
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by zap2
    how much would this cost [ not to be rude but to see if its worth it?]

    $250 shipped plus a cd player/MP3

  5. #5
    Mac2PCBak2Mac
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Desolate One
    You're definitely want to get more RAM, especially for anything graphically intensive- like gaming. Unfortunately I'm not much a computer gamer so I couldn't give you a definite answer as far as running those apps.

    How much more ram and how much would it cost? Would it be semi easy to install?

  6. #6
    Desolate One
    Guest
    I got a gig stick for a reasonable price @ Coast to Coast Memory. Very easy to install. Just pop the keyboard up, unscrew the Airport card tray, and the slot is right there.

    $250? It's either hot or missing the screen for that price!

  7. #7
    Mac2PCBak2Mac
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Desolate One
    I got a gig stick for a reasonable price @ Coast to Coast Memory. Very easy to install. Just pop the keyboard up, unscrew the Airport card tray, and the slot is right there.

    $250? It's either hot or missing the screen for that price!

    No its the full laptop. Working and all. Good cosmetic condition too.

  8. #8
    iBook G4
    D3v1L80Y's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 02, 2004
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    12,456
    Specs:
    MacBook
    Quote Originally Posted by Desolate One

    $250? It's either hot or missing the screen for that price!
    That, or the person selling has no idea what they are selling. My iBook has pretty much the same specs, but with a 14" screen. I have 512MB of RAM and I am able to run COD, Jedi Academy, THPS4 and a few other games fairly well. With only a 32MB video card, games can be kinda choppy. If gaming is going to be your primary concern, you may want to just stick with a PC or a console system for the games. Everything else will run smooth as silk, just be sure to get at least 512MB of RAM, A 1GB stick would be even better. And since you are only paying $250 for the iBook, you would have plenty of cash left for the RAM.
    __________________________________________________
    Posting and YOU|Forum Community Guidelines|The Apple Product Cycle|Forum Courtesy

    mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
    MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
    Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.


  9. #9
    iBook G4
    dan828's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 12, 2005
    Location
    Ceres, Ca
    Posts
    670
    Specs:
    iPad 32 GB 3G
    $250 is a great price. Apple is selling these refurbished for $899.00. Are you, um, sure that the guy you are getting it from is legit and that the machine is in good working order?

    I wouldn't expect much in the way of gaming performance or even game availability on this system, especially if you are a real PC gamer. Games for the Mac are usually ported several months after the PC versions if at all. I don't think any of the titles you mentioned have even been ported. If you want a machine for gaming, buy something else.

  10. #10
    Mac2PCBak2Mac
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by dan828
    $250 is a great price. Apple is selling these refurbished for $899.00. Are you, um, sure that the guy you are getting it from is legit and that the machine is in good working order?

    I wouldn't expect much in the way of gaming performance or even game availability on this system, especially if you are a real PC gamer. Games for the Mac are usually ported several months after the PC versions if at all. I don't think any of the titles you mentioned have even been ported. If you want a machine for gaming, buy something else.

    I get the machine and my cousin in atlanta will pay. I am 100% sure its legit. I didnt know it was a good offer.

  11. #11
    zap2
    Guest
    go buy it now great deal

  12. #12
    Mac2PCBak2Mac
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by zap2
    go buy it now great deal

    doesnt work that way. Has to be shipped.

  13. #13
    Desolate One
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Mac2PCBak2Mac
    doesnt work that way. Has to be shipped.
    Either way what we mean is scoop this deal up!

    And welcome aboard! :mac:

  14. #14
    Jefe3223
    Guest
    mine was...er...A LOT MORE THAN THAT. I'd buy it and sell it again for more, if I could

  15. #15
    Mac2PCBak2Mac
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jefe3223
    mine was...er...A LOT MORE THAN THAT. I'd buy it and sell it again for more, if I could

    If its a good deal then I doubt I will find someone to offer the same deal. Plus its being shipped tomorrow by USPS. Hopefully the upgrades wont cost much.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Double ibook problem: Cant install OS X Tiger on iBook G3 Camshell!!
    By pahoran in forum OS X - Operating System
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-05-2007, 05:39 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •