Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Eleven
    Guest
    Get PB 17 now or wait for PB G5???
    Basically the questions are:

    1- Will there be a PB G5?
    2- If so, when would it be?

    I did my homework and found very nice deals on PB 17 G5 1.5/1Gb, brand new for about 500$ under the price of a not that superior 1.67.

    I am about to buy but the eventuality of a PB G5 coming out right after I get a G4 is a concern.

    I would be willing to wait a few more months (I have Macs and PCs desktops and PC laptop) if a PB G5 was to come this spring, if it's fall or only for 2006, I'll get a G4 and think about it again in 2006...

    ........

  2. #2
    Get PB 17 now or wait for PB G5???
    schweb's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 27, 2002
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Posts
    13,190
    Specs:
    MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
    Buy it now. The G5 Powerbook is no where close to being released.
    schweb | community leader
    flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

    Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr


  3. #3
    morningrise
    Guest
    Even if (and I use IF very loosely) the PB g5 does come out soon after you purchase, it won't be released in a speed faster than 1.7-1.8 ghz, and will probably have some issues that they need to work out (most first gen models do) you'll have a nearly top of the line g4 powerbook which will rival that of the g5. I would go ahead and buy the g4, wait till the 2nd or 3rd rev of the g5 when it comes out... that should get you at least a year or so of life out of the g4, and then you can turn around and sell it for a reasonable price to put down on the g5.

    Hope that helps

  4. #4
    Kokopelli
    Guest
    Buy now, G5 may be coming out but it does not seem to likely in the immediate future. (Sounds like a magic 8 ball.)

    Anyone want to lay bets on when it will be out? WWDC does not seem too likely so I was thinking Oct 2005 or Jan 2006. No basis on fact here, just pure speculation. A dual core G4 PB seems to be the better direction to me for portable use but I do not see that happening.

  5. #5
    Get PB 17 now or wait for PB G5???
    Macman's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 30, 2004
    Location
    San Antonio, Texas
    Posts
    4,374
    Specs:
    PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
    yup, it will be very, very long before we see a g5 laptop, if at all. at best, we can expect a dp g4 laptop or dual core g4 laptop, but even thats sorta pushing it.

  6. #6
    Get PB 17 now or wait for PB G5???
    schweb's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 27, 2002
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Posts
    13,190
    Specs:
    MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
    I'm guessing the earliest might be WWDC in 2006. Of course I could be surprised, but that's just what I'm guessing.
    schweb | community leader
    flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

    Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr


  7. #7
    Get PB 17 now or wait for PB G5???
    Meyvn's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 24, 2004
    Posts
    726
    Specs:
    Black Colorware PowerBook 1.67 GHz G4, 2 GB DDR2, 100GB 7200 RPM
    Rofl, has anyone seen that one divisiontwo joke article about the lengths Apple would have to go to in order to build a G5 PB now?
    'cause when it rains, you know it pours.

  8. #8
    Eleven
    Guest
    Do you like that one? :cool:


  9. #9
    jessica
    Guest
    I think the G5 will be out sooner than 2006, but not without major issues. Honestly, the g4 is hot as ****, I just can't see this g5 thing going well.

  10. #10
    killer_bites
    Guest
    I've had my new 15" for a few days now and it's great. I'm new to Mac's but used to pushing PC's with Photoshop, Flash, Dreamweaver ... usually all open and my new mac suprisingly copes very well.

    I was waiting for a G5, but it's such a is it, isn't it i thought, bugger it - and to be honest, im not bothered now - the latest powerbooks are great and should easily cope with tiger and cope with most applications with ease.

    I guess it depends what you want the powerbook for, but i doubt the new ones will be out for at least 6-8 months - if the rumours are in fact true.

  11. #11
    i2oadi2unnei2
    Guest
    LOL, Eleven, I've seen that pic so many times and everytime I look at it, it just cracks me up ROTFLMAO.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Wait, wait, wait, crash...on boot.
    By ohmandd in forum OS X - Operating System
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-15-2011, 10:15 AM
  2. To wait, or not to wait? That is the question...
    By ogacon in forum Switcher Hangout
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-21-2008, 01:20 PM
  3. Purchasing: To wait or not to wait
    By mac2k in forum Apple Desktops
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-28-2007, 11:07 PM
  4. MacBook Pro - To wait or not to wait?
    By Spicky in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 05-15-2006, 12:29 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •