02-23-2005, 08:07 PM #1Ford PrefectGuestA switcher's first impressions (a bit long)
So, I got my new 17Ē PB a couple of days ago, and after spending much time with it, I thought Iíd post my impressions as someone who is completely new to Mac. I switched from an old PIII VAIO notebook running Win2k.
Here are the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly:
- This machine is amazing. Iíve heard that sometimes Macs run loud and hot, but my PB produced a barely noticeable sound. In fact, itís so quiet that I have to lean my ear down to the machine just to hear the fan and hard disk to their thing. The machine does get warm, but nothing like my old VAIO laptop, which ran like a jet engine.
- Itís fast! Iíve got about 8 different apps running right now, and not even a stutter.
- OS X. This is the real reason I switched. Itís easy to use and powerful. I love the customizability. Just interfacing with this computer is a pleasure.
- Expose. Iím using the ďhot cornersĒ feature, and itís a real treat to use for switching.
- The backlit keyboard. This is a little thing, but itís really useful.
- Battery life is impressive. I got about 3.5 hours yesterday during light use (safari, iTunes, keyboard light, Adium).
- Everything does indeed just ďworkĒ. Iíve connected to all manner of networks in the last two days, all with no headaches. Click and go, even on PC networks. That alone justified the purchase price.
- Safari. Itís been fast, and I love the UI.
- iTunes. It imported all my music, no problem.
- The switching process. I did it over a wireless network. Quick and easy import of my bookmarks and all my documents.
- The display is so easy on the eyes. I feel like Apple did a lot of research into ergonomics. My eyes are never strained looking at this screen.
- The 17Ē PB is NOT too big. I was worried about this. Itís thin and light for its size, and easy to use on my lap as I am right now.
- Drag and drop installation of software is great.
- Sleep and wake happen quickly and without incident.
- Apple customer service. I ordered it on Feb. 9, and was constantly emailed throughout the process. I never had to wonder about what the status was.
- I use the trackpad to click. When I do, the pointer occasionally moves a lot, sometimes to the point where it even ends up selecting the option above or below the one I want. I think I just need to get used to it.
- Iíve got the mouse pointer speed maxed out, and I wish I could get more acceleration and speed.
- Firefox is not stellar for me, itís a little jumpy and sometimes slow.
- Adium (I know itís a third party app) doesnít always work that well. Iíll change preferences and nothing will change. Or, it will not automatically connect upon launch even though that option is checked. It will connect automatically waking from sleep, but only sometimes.
- The way my old VAIO looks and sounds now that Iíve been spoiled, even for just two days.
- The fact that I waited until now to switch.
If you canít tell, Iím thrilled with my purchase. If thereís anyone who isnít sure if they want to switch, I think you wonít be disappointed if you took the leap. Sorry to gush! It was worth every penny, I look forward to years of enjoyment on this baby!
Thanks again to those on the forum who answered a couple of questions Iíve had, whether I got them from posting or lurking.
02-23-2005, 10:06 PM #2
- Member Since
- Feb 09, 2005
- Near San Diego, CA
- MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
congrats on your wonderful computer!!! i am glad that i switched too
02-23-2005, 10:13 PM #3
- Member Since
- Nov 24, 2004
- Black Colorware PowerBook 1.67 GHz G4, 2 GB DDR2, 100GB 7200 RPM
I'd recommend trashing Firefox for a G4 optimized build of Camino, since you're sporting the PB's nice G4.'cause when it rains, you know it pours.
02-24-2005, 12:03 AM #4ThudGuest
I'm using firefox right now... it's definitely not as smooth as Safari, but I'm using it because I'm already used to it on windows.
I'll give Camino a shot.
02-24-2005, 12:07 AM #5ThudGuest
OK! I just installed Camino.
02-24-2005, 04:02 AM #6
- Member Since
- Jan 12, 2005
- 12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle
mate even playing on a PB i noticed that the mouse speed is slow, is there any 3rd party app or hack to get it even faster?
02-24-2005, 10:58 AM #7sebeckGuestOriginally Posted by Meyvn
02-24-2005, 11:02 AM #8d-functGuest
I found using the G4/G5 optimized build of firefox really speeded it up ...
02-24-2005, 11:06 AM #9
- Member Since
- Jun 11, 2003
- Mount Vernon, WA
- MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Yeah I have the G5 Optimized build and it works great---> Join the Mac-Forums Folding team: use 37954 as your team number.
View Mac-Forums Folding team statistics (More Info)
Don't forget to use the User Reputation System
Users Browsing this Thread
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)
By OneBlueSky in forum Apple DesktopsReplies: 10Last Post: 07-10-2012, 03:08 PM
By TattooedMac in forum Switcher HangoutReplies: 68Last Post: 06-16-2011, 01:51 PM
By SweetCosmicPope in forum Switcher HangoutReplies: 14Last Post: 03-08-2010, 11:24 AM
By Sachsr1 in forum Switcher HangoutReplies: 9Last Post: 05-17-2007, 09:10 PM
By sdashia in forum Switcher HangoutReplies: 25Last Post: 07-26-2006, 02:04 AM