Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    alphadyte
    Guest
    help! control+click relaunches the finder and no contextual menu
    hi, I've recently switched and have a powerbook.

    I want to zip some files and i've read that by doing the control + click i can get a menu (as a right click) to compress the files. However, whenever I press control+click on the finder, nothing shows up and it relaunches. Is this normal or did I screw up something? neye:

    Also, any tips on how to compress files to be compatible with both mac os x and windows will be appreciated.

    Thanks

    By the way, I apologize if this has been discussed earlier but I've been looking around and didn't find anything related to this.

  2. #2
    help! control+click doesn't work with finder :(
    Macman's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 30, 2004
    Location
    San Antonio, Texas
    Posts
    4,374
    Specs:
    PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
    control+clicking should work that way, its called a contextual menu, and the stuffit menu will only be there if you have stuffit deluxe. if you do, thee are several options that are windows and mac compatible.

  3. #3
    alphadyte
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Macman
    control+clicking should work that way, its called a contextual menu, and the stuffit menu will only be there if you have stuffit deluxe. if you do, thee are several options that are windows and mac compatible.

    I know the contextual menu should appear but it doesn't, instead, finder closes and opens again.

  4. #4
    help! control+click doesn't work with finder :(
    Macman's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 30, 2004
    Location
    San Antonio, Texas
    Posts
    4,374
    Specs:
    PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
    thats not good, repair permissions several times, restart, try again, if not, try zapping the pram.

  5. #5
    alphadyte
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Macman
    thats not good, repair permissions several times, restart, try again, if not, try zapping the pram.
    umm and how do i do that?

  6. #6
    help! control+click doesn't work with finder :(
    Macman's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 30, 2004
    Location
    San Antonio, Texas
    Posts
    4,374
    Specs:
    PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
    First, Repair permissions:
    open disk utility located in the utilities folder inside applications, select your hd,
    click repair permissions, allow it to do it, then do it again, restart your mac, do it one more time, restart your mac, thats it. you can click verify perissions first to check if any need repair, though they will, so you dont need to verify first, and going straight to repairing wont damage anything if nothing needs repairing.

    Zap PRAM:
    shut down your mac, start up holding down option+command+p+r, hold until you hear the mac chime at least 4 times, many speculate 2 is enough, and it sometimes is, though apple says 5, others say 7, use what you will, but at least 3 or 4 times is good.this may cause your clock and date to be reset when you start up fully, and your dock may be empty, as all this is stored in parameter ram
    (pram), but that should be it, keep us posted.

  7. #7
    alphadyte
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Macman
    First, Repair permissions:
    open disk utility located in the utilities folder inside applications, select your hd,
    click repair permissions, allow it to do it, then do it again, restart your mac, do it one more time, restart your mac, thats it. you can click verify perissions first to check if any need repair, though they will, so you dont need to verify first, and going straight to repairing wont damage anything if nothing needs repairing.

    Zap PRAM:
    shut down your mac, start up holding down option+command+p+r, hold until you hear the mac chime at least 4 times, many speculate 2 is enough, and it sometimes is, though apple says 5, others say 7, use what you will, but at least 3 or 4 times is good.this may cause your clock and date to be reset when you start up fully, and your dock may be empty, as all this is stored in parameter ram
    (pram), but that should be it, keep us posted.

    I did both and the same problem occurs.
    When I did the zap pram thing the date was still the same and the dock was just as it was. I did this 4 times, and then did it again 7 times, same thing.

  8. #8
    alphadyte
    Guest
    Nevermind! I found a folder called contextual menu in the libraries and it had one called jmzip (which was a program i used to have and then deleted) so i deleted it and the contextual menu worked just fine.

    Thanks anyway

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. finder doesn't work
    By Casper123 in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 01-27-2013, 01:39 PM
  2. Launching App Shortcut doesn't work from Finder
    By Command Alt Ego in forum OS X - Operating System
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-08-2012, 03:59 PM
  3. finder doesn't work... the desktop appears blank!
    By moisascout in forum OS X - Operating System
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-14-2007, 12:00 PM
  4. my finder doesn't work... the desktop appears blank!
    By moisascout in forum OS X - Operating System
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-29-2007, 08:28 AM
  5. right click sometimes doesn't work
    By poster in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-28-2006, 06:40 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •