Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    To wait, or not to wait? That is the question...
    ogacon's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 16, 2008
    Location
    Twin Cities (Suburbs) Minnesota
    Posts
    645
    Specs:
     15" 2.4 MBP  iPod Classic 80 GB, Silver
    To wait, or not to wait? That is the question...
    Well... I can buy my firt MacBook Pro tomorrow... or I can wait till the supposed update in June. I want it for the summer though, and I can expect a late update in late June or early July, and that is 1/3 of the summer already gone. Then I would need to wait for shipping... get home and all that wonderful stuff. But, the main question is, if I buy a MBP right now... and treat it like a baby like I will, will the resale value be enough and worth it to just sell it once the new MBP's come out if I really want to update (I won't need to if there is no layout/design change that I really don't want...), to just lose like $400 or something... It would be like paying $400 more the day I buy my MBP for a better MBP. That true? or am I being too optimistic with the resale value of a 3 month old computer (if I even would want to upgrade IF there are really nice updates, so that is taking a chance at waiting for something I may not even need... when I could just get it NOW! Instagratification! )? Sorry for the long post... Thanks in advanced for your input!
    Relay For Life Support me in Relay For Life! Run by American Cancer Society. Cancer research.
    What sound does your Rooster make?

  2. #2
    To wait, or not to wait? That is the question...

    Member Since
    Dec 05, 2006
    Posts
    96
    Of course there is no guarantee, but you likely would be able to re-sell the MBP for at least $400 less of the purchase price. Possibly even more. So if having it now, then getting the newest thing is worth a $400 hit, I say go for it.

    I just sold a mac mini with 19" Samsung LCD monitor for $770. I paid $799 for the mini and $300 for the monitor about 2yr ago. So I sold that for only $330 less than I paid 2yr ago. Macs seem to retain resell value very well.

  3. #3
    To wait, or not to wait? That is the question...

    Member Since
    Oct 25, 2007
    Posts
    39
    Specs:
    MBP 2.4 - 17" - 4G RAM - 150G HD
    never wait for the updates. you can wait for the updates over and over and over again. If you NEED a new computer then by it now. if you dont NEED a new computer then wait.

    its very easy to get stuck into the loop of waiting for updates. and even if you do wait for this new update and then buy it, in a few months another update will be released.

  4. #4
    To wait, or not to wait? That is the question...
    Jaygray's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 04, 2008
    Posts
    1,115
    Specs:
    Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
    Don't wait. By June or July, there will be another update on the horizon in the autumn. It never ends...

    Also use the student discount or buy refurb. If you sell, the amount between the sale price and the purchase price will be negligible.

  5. #5
    To wait, or not to wait? That is the question...
    bryphotoguy's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 02, 2007
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    3,978
    Specs:
    Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
    I wouldn't wait. If you want it for summer use, I wouldn't hold my breathe for a June release. There won't be any big advancement in technology come summertime. The update processor technology with the new trackpad was big but not all that significant. Next update won't see much IMO.

    January 2008 Member of the Month

  6. #6
    To wait, or not to wait? That is the question...
    mac57's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 29, 2006
    Location
    St. Somewhere
    Posts
    4,560
    Specs:
    iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM
    There just WAS an update to the MacBook Pro, no? Faster processor, bigger hard drives, new trackpad stuff. Quite a nice overall update. Don't wait. The next upgrades will be to the iMac and the Mini in my opinion. These are the only two members of the line up that have not seen recent updates.
    My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
    My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
    My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
    I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007

  7. #7
    To wait, or not to wait? That is the question...
    ogacon's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 16, 2008
    Location
    Twin Cities (Suburbs) Minnesota
    Posts
    645
    Specs:
     15" 2.4 MBP  iPod Classic 80 GB, Silver
    Thanks guys... you made me feel better about wanting to buy it now Soon... I'll have it and I'll post pics of the beautiful machine!
    Relay For Life Support me in Relay For Life! Run by American Cancer Society. Cancer research.
    What sound does your Rooster make?

  8. #8
    To wait, or not to wait? That is the question...

    Member Since
    Oct 25, 2007
    Posts
    39
    Specs:
    MBP 2.4 - 17" - 4G RAM - 150G HD
    good stuff.

    once you have ordered it and your waiting for it to arrive, you can look at some lovely accessories for it, if your going to be using it on your lap i recommend buying the lapinator as that reduces a most if not all of the heat from your legs.

  9. #9
    To wait, or not to wait? That is the question...
    ogacon's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 16, 2008
    Location
    Twin Cities (Suburbs) Minnesota
    Posts
    645
    Specs:
     15" 2.4 MBP  iPod Classic 80 GB, Silver
    is that a generic term? or do you have a link to it? Thx

    edit: with 5 seconds of being unlazy, i found it! haha... go me!
    Relay For Life Support me in Relay For Life! Run by American Cancer Society. Cancer research.
    What sound does your Rooster make?

  10. #10
    To wait, or not to wait? That is the question...

    Member Since
    Oct 25, 2007
    Posts
    39
    Specs:
    MBP 2.4 - 17" - 4G RAM - 150G HD
    lol there are a lot more choices aswell, i went into a lot of research and although there are better looking alternatives they are much bigger and a lot more expensive.

    You might also want to consider getting a trackpad protector after using mine for only two months i started seeing the shiny spot because id polished the plastic down. so i went out and got a skinstyler protector uploaded my own design got it and installed it with no problems whatsoever.

    http://www.skinstyler.com/

    Also you might want to check out some bags. i went out and got a nice booq bag just because these are bags ive always liked they are very well made and good looking i think, i got the red mamba pack

    http://www.booqbags.com/

    even though the bag provides a lot of protection i also bought a nice tight sleeve to protect it from scratches etc i got mine from

    http://www.radtech.us/Products/SleevzNotebooks.aspx

    Some other things i bought were screen cleaners etc, hope my info helped you a little

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Wait, wait, wait, crash...on boot.
    By ohmandd in forum OS X - Operating System
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-15-2011, 10:15 AM
  2. Purchasing: To wait or not to wait
    By mac2k in forum Apple Desktops
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-28-2007, 11:07 PM
  3. The lamest, newbiest question ever:Buy now or wait?
    By BigMac in forum Switcher Hangout
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 01-30-2007, 12:21 AM
  4. MacBook Pro - To wait or not to wait?
    By Spicky in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 05-15-2006, 12:29 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •