Problem with Spotlight search criteria - ITS MISSING!

Reaction score
Here is a screenshot of the typical spotlight window on a 10.5.2 machine (Intel Mac Pro):

picture1pb2.png

Here is a screenshot of the same window after I click the '+' sign to add an additional search criteria value:

picture2py5.png

In the second screenshot, that extra blank space at the bottom is where is supposed to say Name: or Kind: etc...but its just not there and I have no idea why??

I have tried creating a new user account on my machine to see if the same issue occurred their as well, and sure enough, it does not.

I have tried all sorts of maintenance and repair tactics to resolve the issue (such as repairing permissions, running DIsk Warrior, Cocktail, Onyx, Leopard Cache Cleaner, etc...) but nothing seems to resolve the issue??

Anyone have any thoughts as to what the issue might be, and how I can go about fixing it?

FYI - In case any does know of any third-party apps that might cause this issue, below are a few screenshots showing some of the apps, system preferences, and processes running on my machine:

Applications Folder:
http://img116.imageshack.us/img116/8...sfolderuj1.png

System Preferences:
http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/9493/sysprefsiq9.png

My Processes:
http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/1...ocesseseq3.png

OP
M
Reaction score
I checked the console for error messages upon expanding the finder window search criteria menu, and it resulted in the following message being generated...

Sender[PID]:
Finder [242]

HIToolbox: ignoring exception 'Delete returned nil for call to ruleEditor:0x1c1247d0 displayValueForCriterion:0x51c760 inRow:0' that raised inside Carbon event dispatch

Anyone have any idea what this means?

OP
M
Reaction score
OK, so this is a weird one...I found this link in searching the net for a solution to my problem, in which some other guy who was having the exact same issue managed to resolve his problem by...get this...trashing his com.apple.finder.plist file, then instead of just restarting (which didn't work for him, or for me to resolve the issue) instead, immediately after trashing the com.apple.finder.plist file, holding down the power button for 5 seconds to force-shutdown

Low and behold, I tried it and it worked!! The issue is not an issue anymore!

Reaction score
After tossing out the plist, a regular restart probably would have worked. Without a restart, forced or not, the machine had read and loaded the old plist when it had started and continued using it after it was trashed.

An aside: Funny how that problem is a seeming holdover from pre-OS X systems. Whether a preferences file in System 9 and earlier or a preferences-list file in X, the problem and the cure is the same. Trash it and restart.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.