2.6 worth it?

Reaction score
I'm looking at getting a new MBP 15" (my first) and am wondering if the 2.6 GHz upgrade (from 2.4 GHz) is really worth the $680 price hike. I am looking for respectable performance speed but at this point don't have any really heavy applications to run, just a lot of general purpose use. I plan on getting the 7200 rpm drive speed option. Also, from what I hear, after market RAM is a good idea over Apple's pricey stuff. Does after market RAM void any warranty as an after market HDD does...or does it? Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Core Duo 2.0GHz 1.5GB, 20" iMac C2D 2.4GHz 4GB, PowerPC G4 500MHz 512MB
It sounds like you don't need the extra .2GHz. I'm not familiar with the model, but maybe it also has a better graphics card, etc? (ie. you are getting more than the .2 GHz bump in processor speed). If not, ask yourself this: Do you need or just want the top of the line computer.

Reaction score
No way worth it. You be better spending the money upgrading to the 7200 rpm hard drive or the 17 inch mbp as this now comes with a 2.5 ghz cpu. So you would have a bigger screen and slightly faster processor.

Small speed increases in the cpu won't make any noticable difference in performance.

Reaction score
by the way, I bought a 2.4 ghz mac book pro in october and it always felt slightly sluggish compared with my 2.4ghz imac, i recently upgraded my hard disk to a 7200rpm model and its made all the difference.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM/320GB HD; BlackBook 2.4Ghz, 2GB RAM/250GB HD
I've always found that when buying computers, the usual sweet spot (price-to-value) is not going to be with the top-of-the-line model. I too suggest going with a slightly slower processor, and spending money on RAM and the faster HD.

OP
V
Reaction score
Thanks for the posts. You've helped. I think for my purposes the 2.4 with 200@7200rpm will be best. Thanks.

Reaction score
L2 Cache

Changes in the cache size have a huge effect. You should at least get the 2.5Ghz model as it has twice the cache as the 2.4 model. I agree that there isn't much difference between the 2.5 and 2.6 models.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.