Terrible wireless signal in my house!!!!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
okay so i have an issue with my network!! my family recently converted over to verizon fios, fios TV and verizon telephone and they installed this crazy weird and HUGE router.

well this super werid router gets terrible signal to my computer! i usually only have one bar of ineternet connection or about 25% signal strength. this router is less than twenty feet away from me....it is one floor below me and on the other side of the room.

wireless accessories that i have with this: airport extreme, belkin wireless g router.

any way i can bridge the wireless signal from my room with one of these routers? can i simply connect the two routers together and hope one of them gets better signal strength to my room?

i need suggestions and detailed instructions!

-chris

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I would recommend changing your router's wireless channel. This varies the frequency ever so slightly so as to avoid interference with other routers in your neighborhood and intruding 2.4GHz signals (like baby monitors, cordless phones and microwaves).

The procedure varies from router model to router model, but in general you simply access your routers web interface (typically done by identifying your default gateway - likely 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1 - and typing it into an empty browser window). Then enter your configuration username and password (should be detailed in your router manual) and searching for the channel settings within the wireless settings category. Most routers come out of the box set at 7 or 11. Try 9 or 3. Experiment until you see better signal strength.

Also, placement of the router is extremely important. It should be as high up as possible and central to your home. Keep it away from outside walls. For more detailed information, see my Wireless Networking FAQ in the FAQs subforum.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM/320GB HD; BlackBook 2.4Ghz, 2GB RAM/250GB HD
Why not swap out the router with one that you already own, and see if it doesn't work better? Or does FIOS require some unique equipment?

Having a router located on a different floor can be a real challenge. I use a Linksys system (from my days of using a PC), and have two RANGE EXPANDERS situated at different locations within the house. BELKIN sells something similar. Signal strength is excellent in every part of the house, and in the yard (just make sure to use network security).

OP
coach_z
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
thanks for the help guys....cwa ill try your suggestions as soon as i have the time
-chris

OP
coach_z
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
any more suggestions??? changing the chanels has not yeilded many results
-chris

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
any more suggestions??? changing the chanels has not yeilded many results
-chris

Where is it located within your home? Are you up-to-date with the firmware?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.