• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

PS3 or XBOX

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook, 4gig RAM. 2nd gen 8gb ipod nano
ok, so i need a next gen console for GTA coming out and i totally dont know which one to get.

ive tried looking at reviews and comparrasons bit am still none the wiser

which do you have?
which would you get?
WHICH IS BETTER???

help?

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
i just got a ps3 a few weeks ago. the base 40Gb model and i'm completely thrilled with it.

i really can't compare it against the xbox. i'd say the ps3 will have slightly longer legs hardware cycle wise, and has the built in blu ray player going for it.
really it comes down to the games. i held out for a ps3 mainly for gran turismo 5 and the ratchet and clank series (two that will not be going to the microsoft camp any time in the forseeable future).

if there are more games you're likely to buy on one or the other go in that direction.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
I never was a fan of the Playstation, so I'm biased towards the Xbox 360.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
PS3. It's more of a next gen. gaming experience than the 360. I've owned both and sold my 360 a month after i got it.
As eric said, there's the built-in Blu-ray drive. Microsoft said they would go Blu-ray if it won so it's a matter of time i guess for them as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Unibody
For me it was about the games. Until the new Final Fantasy comes out (or any good RPG's) I am holding out on the PS3. I wanted to play Mass Effect and Gears of War, so I got the Xbox. I know I will end up with both, just because of the exclusive games, but for now the Xbox has my vote. Doesn't mean that can't change in the next 3-6 months.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
See, that's why I love my x360.. It's the games that are for it.. I love the controller too.. It's the perfect controller IMO, and it's what the Xbox controller should have been all these years.

Not to mention Xbox Live. That makes up for over half of your gaming experience on the x360 console as well. Regardless if it's $60 for 13 months of service, it's totally worth it.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
See, that's why I love my [PS3].. It's the games that are for it.. I love the controller too.. It's the perfect controller IMO, and it's what the [Playstation] controller [has] been all these years.

Not to mention [PSN]. That makes up for over half of your gaming experience on the [PS3] console as well. [Especially since it's free], it's totally worth it.

all a matter of opinion my friend... :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Unibody
I agree Eric, just depends on what games you want to play and who has them. Like I said, I know I will end up with both eventually, but right now there is nothing I want to play on the PS3.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
nothing to play? ;P

heh, i'm just trying to decide where to spend my money first (or next anyway)! of course some of those are cross paltform, my first was not - ratchet and clank, which is really very, very good.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" 5k imac i7, 295x
All about the 360 Playstation is lame imo.

but yea. who likes long load times

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.8 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
I chose an XBox 360 for the games. If your more into movies than games, than go with the PS3, the PS3 is catching up on the latest games. For movies, the blue-ray will come out with version 2.0 release later this year and the PS3 will be able to download it and upgrade. After 2.0, I've read where the PS3 may not be able to keep up with the upgrades. Understand that blue-ray or is it blu-rey (excuse me - brain fart) is still in an infant stage compared to HD, but the big money studios won over the users. Just the opposite of the Beta and VHS war.
To sum up, if your into playing games, for the next year or so, go XBox 360. If your a part time gamer and are into the newest movies and if you have a HD TV with HDMI, than go with the PS3.
Also, HDMI is the way to go with XBox 360, so make sure you buy the Pro XBox 360.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MBP 2.4 GHz C2D/27" Core i7 iMac
I have a XBOX 360, PS3 and Wii. My 360 gets the most played and the PS3 has the most dust on it. :( From a pure game standpoint (as far as what is currently out there) i'd get a 360. I am personally a big fan of RPGs and there is only 1 RPG out for the PS3 right now which is terrible!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Unibody
I have a XBOX 360, PS3 and Wii. My 360 gets the most played and the PS3 has the most dust on it. :( From a pure game standpoint (as far as what is currently out there) i'd get a 360. I am prsonally a big fan of RPGs and there is only 1 RPG out for the PS3 right now which is terrible!

Agreed! It disappoints me really. I mean, my old PS2 got a ton of play with great games! Star Ocean, FF, Digital Devil Saga, Nocturne, the list could go on and on. Just seems like Sony has dropped the ball big time with this one here. Which, looking at their current "restructuring" and the big losses of the gaming division, is what happened.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
speaking of rpgs - i really hope they come out with a new dark cloud for the ps3 - i loved those games.

Reaction score
PS3 for me. Has all the things I need built in and I liked the fact it had a blu-ray drive ready for the future. I've brought every Playstation since I got one for Christmas in 96. The 360 is a great console no doubt but i chose the PS3 didn't like the thought of ploughing money to Microsoft.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
The only games that interest me/look good for PS3, in my opinion, are Resistance Fall of Man, and Killzone 2 (when it gets released).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Unibody
PS3 for me. Has all the things I need built in and I liked the fact it had a blu-ray drive ready for the future. I've brought every Playstation since I got one for Christmas in 96. The 360 is a great console no doubt but i chose the PS3 didn't like the thought of ploughing money to Microsoft.

Don't get me wrong, I am a Microsoft hater to the core. Before my Mac I used Linux exclusively. But for once in their miserable existence they acutally made something good! They should just drop out of the PC market and just make consoles! :D ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
Don't get me wrong, I am a Microsoft hater to the core. Before my Mac I used Linux exclusively. But for once in their miserable existence they acutally made something good! They should just drop out of the PC market and just make consoles! :D ;D

I couldn't agree more! I don't care at all for MS stuff, but the Xbox was the only thing I didn't regret giving money to MS for.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.