Safari/Firefox frequently crashing?

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm on tiger, recently my safari/firefox often abruptly keeps crashing, does anyone know what the problem is? or a possible solution? thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP, 13.3" || iMac 20" 2.16 GHz C2D, 250 GB HD, 2 GB RAM, || 32GB i-Phone 4 || 32GB AT&T 3G iPad
Browser problems with websites using Flash

Has anyone noticed browser lock up issues with certain Flash contents websites like ESPN.com, TMZ.com, buy.com, etc. This problem seemed to start sometime yesterday. ESPN is one of my favorite websites and I was going nuts trying to figure out what was going on. At any rate, I had to end up disabling Plug-ins on both Safari and Firefox in order to be able to access the website. Hopefully this is only temporary until the problem is figured out. Am I the only one having this problem?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac - 24", 2.8 GHz Extreme, 2GB RAM, 500GB HD | iPod Nano 3G, 4GB
I'm in the same boat as you. Started yesterday. ESPN locks up Safari and I have to restart the machine. No clue as to what the deal is.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" PowerBook G4
I've had the same problem today. It started early this morning when I went to ESPN. I've also noticed CNET and youtube crash safari. I downloaded firefox hoping that it would work, but it also crashed on the same sites.

Reaction score
ESPN seems fine with Firefox. I clicked on the Shaq link to see what would happen, and the clip played flawlessly.

Reaction score
Same here. ESPN almost always crashed Firefox/Safari. Constantly crashes at other sites too. Tried deleting cookies and that didn't help. Anyone know what to do? I need ESPN.....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" PowerBook G4
I've got a partial solution to the problem.

If you go into Preferences>Security and then uncheck "Plug-ins," the problem desists.

If there's a better solution, I'm open to it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP, 13.3" || iMac 20" 2.16 GHz C2D, 250 GB HD, 2 GB RAM, || 32GB i-Phone 4 || 32GB AT&T 3G iPad
ESPN seems fine with Firefox. I clicked on the Shaq link to see what would happen, and the clip played flawlessly.

What version of OS X are you using? I could be a Leopard specific problem. I research a bit more on the Apple website and found that many others are having the same problem I am having.

Reaction score
espn.com freezing on both firefox and safari

Whenever I go to espn.com or any website with any espn video or any content on it, my browser freezes and I have to force quit. I've tried clearing caches and cookies, restarting the computer and nothing helps. does anyone know how to fix this?
thank you thank you

Reaction score
What version of OS X are you using? I could be a Leopard specific problem. I research a bit more on the Apple website and found that many others are having the same problem I am having.
Came across this on Mozilla's forums that mentions the problem with Safari, as well. There's a link in the Mozilla thread to Apple's site, probably the one you mention, where there's a long thread with the same complaints.

As you say, it might be a problem with Leopard, or maybe Intel Macs only. My G4 is running Tiger 10.4.11 and Firefox 2.0.0.12.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook air, pro ipad air
I am having a similar problem with a site I frequently visit. It started yesterday and still cannot get it with safari or firefox . I have plenty of windows PC's in the biz and am having no problem with them.

I have an IMAC intel with Leopard

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2009 MacBook Pro  Mid 2007 iMac  4G iPod Touch  iPhone 4S  iPad
Mine, too. The problem is on their end.

Reaction score
Maybe there was a Leopard software "update" that ran automagically if that option is turned on.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.4GHz w/ WD My Book 500GB HDD. MacBook Pro 2.4GHz. iPhone 5, white, 16 Gigs.
For what is worth, I've seen the same issue that seems to be associated with Java. Even with Firefox, although the browser works, the rendering is slow and hesitant. I ran the system maintenance routine including repair permission to see if it would take care of the issue, and to some extent, it did. But the hesitation is still there. I wonder if Apple pushed out a minor update or something these past couple of days. The only thing that I have added this past week is that I re-installed the Mac OS X 10.5.2 combo update. No other changes. So this hesitation that my system seems to be experiencing sort of caught me by surprise.

Reaction score
Just got off the phone with apple, and they guy said he was having the same problem too. Apple was working to fix it, and that they thought it had something to do with updating the flash players on their sites

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
For what is worth, I've seen the same issue that seems to be associated with Java. Even with Firefox, although the browser works, the rendering is slow and hesitant. I ran the system maintenance routine including repair permission to see if it would take care of the issue, and to some extent, it did. But the hesitation is still there. I wonder if Apple pushed out a minor update or something these past couple of days. The only thing that I have added this past week is that I re-installed the Mac OS X 10.5.2 combo update. No other changes. So this hesitation that my system seems to be experiencing sort of caught me by surprise.

Yeah, right after I ran a disk repair and verified permissions, it seems like the problem started. I'm sure it was a coincidence though. :) It was just driving me nuts because at first I just knew that I had messed something up. :Smirk: I'm fairly certain it has something to do with some sort of Flash updates on those various sites and Apple just doesn't have a good hold on it yet. I'm sure we'll have a fix soon.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.