What do you think of Sonnet cpu upgrades

Reaction score
I have a G4 MDD with 1gig dual cpu. and want to upgrade the cpu set, but it seems that only the Sonnet brand applies to my machine, I've read on other disscusion groups that the Sonnet brand is not reliable for Music production/Logic Studio programs. here are 2 potential upgrades:
1.Sonnet Encore/MDX G4 Duet Dual 1.6GHz Processor Upgrade.$449.00 or,
2. Sonnet Encore/MDX G4 Duet Dual 1.8GHz Processor Upgrade... $599.
It seems kinda pricey but I have been trying to sell this unit to get a G5 for a month or so and no takers and a used g5 is going for a minimum of 900 out here.
Any advice on the sonnet brand and my dilema in general would be appreciated.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I can't speak for those applications you are using but I have found Sonnet the most reliable upgrade CPU's out there. I have had countless issues with my Giga Designs and a friend even more, but the Sonnet upgrades I have used have been first rate.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Whilst I use a Mercury Extreme CPU upgrade, I think a Sonnet from OWC would be your best bet. Their after sales service is A1 even here to Australia. Probably a 1.8/1.6 upgrade would fill the bill as there seems to be an awful amount of trouble with the early G5's.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Whilst I use a Mercury Extreme CPU upgrade, I think a Sonnet from OWC would be your best bet. Their after sales service is A1 even here to Australia. Probably a 1.8/1.6 upgrade would fill the bill as there seems to be an awful amount of trouble with the early G5's.

Harry, excellent point on the Mercury Extreme upgrade CPU's. Forgot all about them. They use a 2MB L3 cache and are quite fast.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Yes however they don't make them for MDD models alas,. Daystar were about to release a MDD upgrade before Christmas. Don't know if they ever did.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.