Fixin' to pull the trigger.

Reaction score
Okay, so I've finally made the choice to dump my PC for a Mac laptop. Although, like a lot of folks I suppose, I need a little tiny bit of help.
Now, for starters, I am a college student. I am majoring in Art Education but I do dabble in graphic design. I also play violin and am very interested in using the Garage Band program to record a little.
With my education discount, I can get the "entry level" Macbook Pro for 1,799$ or the higher end(?) Macbook in black for 1,499$. I'm just trying to decide if the Pro would indeed be a wiser investment for it's display, video card and other such features.
Mostly, aside from my music and graphic interests, the computer really just needs to serve the basic purposes of most run of the mill college students. (Office '08, Safari, iTunes & etc. )
My family keeps using the term "Better to have too much than not enough!" so based on this I am leaning towards the Pro. I was just wondering if even the Macbook would be considered "too much" in the realm of what I would be using it for.
Thanks a lot!

the price difference isn't so much the concern, I'm just wondering if the Pro would be considered overkill basically.

Reaction score
Buy "dabble in graphic design" what do you mean by that? What kind of programs would you be running?

Reaction score
If you go right now you can get a 15" 2.16ghz MBP in the refurb store for 1299. And there are a plethora of macbook configurations for at or under a grand. That MBP for 1299 is REALLY tempting me I can tell you that much.

OP
K
Reaction score
As far as programs go, it'd just be Photoshop CS3, maybe Illustrator.
I'm looking through those refurb pros now! Haha.

Reaction score
As far as programs go, it'd just be Photoshop CS3, maybe Illustrator.
I'm looking through those refurb pros now! Haha.

They go quick, the $1299 ones are gone now. Best time time catch the restock is early AM. I just happened to be up at 4am and the store was restocked right around then.

I took a screen cap though:

Picture 1.png

OP
K
Reaction score
oh wow. That's an awesome deal. I think I finally landed on getting a Pro due to its dual display support. I'll invest in a cinema display at a way later date though, haha.
Thanks!

Reaction score
I know, its such a deal its almost too hard to pass up even if you dont need it. I seriously thought about buying one even though Id just dropped $1k on an imac last tuesday and then $100 on a 4gb ram upgrade. Wife would have been a little p.o.'ed I think :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP l iPhone l iPod
They go quick, the $1299 ones are gone now. Best time time catch the restock is early AM. I just happened to be up at 4am and the store was restocked right around then.

I took a screen cap though:

thats a awesome deal. wow i wish i knew of that

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.