Blue Screen at Startup Problems

Reaction score
I am getting the common (from what i've read) solid blue screen and cursor at startup on my powerbook.
I got it from a friend and it didn't have an OS on it so i had SuSE on it until i got a copy of osx.....which suse booted and ran fine.
so OSX (10.4) went thru the install process fine then rebooted and went to the solid blue screen.
I CAN log into safe mode. i updated everything and now have 10.4.11 and it didn't help. I took out the airport card, ram (testing both slots), and even the hard drive and installed an OS on a firewire drive and it does the same.
I'm assuming its hardware related based on what i've read online which is why I tried all that but nothing helped.
Does anyone have any suggestions for me? Please

PowerBook is 15" 1.25ghz alum

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" 1Ghz G4  iPhone 3G  10.5.5
Try starting up from the Install disk and use Disk Utility from the menu bar, under Utilities. See if the HD needs repaired.
If safe mode works though, usually it's a problem with a Startup item or the Fonts.

OP
I
Reaction score
I guess i forgot to mention. I have also ran disk repair from the install dvd. The only thing wrong was a couple permissions and it fixed that.

and there are only the default fonts...well default everything. it is a clean install that will not load.

I removed the start up items in:
system/library/loginplugins (well it wouldn't let me del 3 since they were in use)
system/library/startupitems.
deleted all com.apple.*** files in library/preferences
and deleted the file that was in the cache folder mentioned in the link you posted.
are there some things i am missing?

Reaction score
Does it start when booting from the install disk when holding down the C key (if you can insert the disk).

If it won't boot from the disk, it's more likely a hardware problem.

OP
I
Reaction score
Does it start when booting from the install disk when holding down the C key (if you can insert the disk).

If it won't boot from the disk, it's more likely a hardware problem.

Yea it boots from the install disk fine. I just did reinstall the OS again (the 4th time now) so I am back to 10.4.6 rather than .11 but it doesn't seem to matter either way.

and like i said i ran disk utility from the install disk and safe mode both.

I just can't imagine a clean install having software problems....very frustrating.

and thanks for the help troubleshooting so far guys. any and all help is appreciated :D

OP
I
Reaction score
another question...

is it possible that my video card is bad but would still boot in safe mode? I've noticed while in safe mode the cursor get lines thru it and the screen saver is incredibly slow. I read that the video card mightbe a cause of getting a blue screen but didn't know if you would still be able to boot into safe mode with a bad vid.
Also if it is a bad card I would have to get a new logic board right? oh and where is a good place to get a replacement logic board online?

OP
I
Reaction score
I would recommend the Apple Hardware test. You can download it here and burn a cd. (If you're able to) If it's a hardware problem, it should find it.
http://www.info.apple.com/support/aht.html

Of course my luck. I downloaded the one that says for powerbooks and tried to run it and it says its not compatible with my system.

from what i've read online it seems that there are newer versions of AHT that are not on the apple download list and I guess thats what my powerbook uses :Grimmace:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That PowerBook just doesn't want to work! ;)
Is odd though. The old OS worked. Installs ok. HD seems ok. Safe mode works. I don't think there's a Firmware update for that model that's needed.
Is the Install disk in good shape?
Can you start in verbose mode? Hold Apple key and v during restart. It will display text while booting.

OP
I
Reaction score
That PowerBook just doesn't want to work! ;)
Is odd though. The old OS worked. Installs ok. HD seems ok. Safe mode works. I don't think there's a Firmware update for that model that's needed.
Is the Install disk in good shape?
Can you start in verbose mode? Hold Apple key and v during restart. It will display text while booting.

Yes verbose mode works....it doesn't list any errors that i can see other than not being able to find the enthernet connection since its not plugged in.
then it still goes to the blue screen and sits there...i dont know if its getting to a certin spot in the boot and then goes to the blue screen or if in verbose mode its supposed to go to the log in screen at that time.

the last thing before going to the blue screen is:
[HCIController][setupHardware] AFH Not Supported (ox2ec3318)

oooor soemthing close to that...i had to snap a pic with my digi cam becasue it went to the blue screen so quick i couldn't read it and the digi is a little blurry

oh and the install cd is in good condition...and i have 2 seperate ones...one is a factory 10.4 then the other is a copy of 10.4.6....i just wish i had the factory powerbook ones so i could at least run AHT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Some PowerBooks require a firmware update prior to installing a version of OS X for the first time. It is necessary to install the update using OS 9.2 and then install OS X. here is a link to see if your model is one requiring the update:-

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=86117

OP
I
Reaction score
Some PowerBooks require a firmware update prior to installing a version of OS X for the first time. It is necessary to install the update using OS 9.2 and then install OS X. here is a link to see if your model is one requiring the update:-

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=86117

Judging from the list of powerbooks. I don't think mine needs an update. I would assume not since the only ones on the list needing an update are some of the first g4 PBs and mine is an aluminum one......and i don't have OS9 to install the firmware update anyway.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This may be confusing, but was the Firmware changed to use SuSE?
Reboot holding cmd(Apple)-option-O-F See what the build is.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
From the Verbose mode, from what I understand, the HCI controller deals with Bluetooth. The Adaptive Frequency Hopping (AFH) was introduced in the v1.2 Bluetooth specification and provides an effective way for a Bluetooth radio to counteract normal interference. AFH identifies "bad" channels where there are either other wireless devices interfering with the Bluetooth signal or where the Bluetooth signal is interfering with another device.

This may be the problem. Either it's not working or has been reconfigured.

There is a program that comes with the developer tools (on the os x install disk) called bluetooth explorer. You can choose which bluetooth adaptor you wish to use in the program under the Utilities/HCI Controller menu item. This allows you do disable the internal adapter.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've also been finding a lot of reports using Linux on Powerbooks. Most are about the screen. This seems to sum up the consensus...
"But these weird video problems are killing me and I’m sincerely becoming concerned that they’re going to do permanent damage to my powerbook screen."

It may explain the video problems you reported earlier.

OP
I
Reaction score
the firmware is 4.7.1f1

i installed the blutooth explorer program...i ran it but didnt see an option to disable but selected the only one in the list to make active....and the blue tooth detected my phone fine in safe mode...also i think my PB has v1.1 BT...could that be the error?

and i rebooted after selecting the blutooth adaptor to make active and it still blue screened right after posting up the same HCI message

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.