can ibook 12" 500mhz battery be used in new 12" ibook 1ghz?

M

missyvortex

Basically asking whats in title.
My boyfriends ibook gave up on him (think it was display inverter, which is difficult to replace in the UK) and he's ordered a new ibook, with same screen size.

He's selling the rest of the parts of the ibook on ebay soon but wanted to keep the battery for his new ibook since batterys are so expensive, but just wondering if it will be compatible with his new ibook.
I could see no reason why not since they are same size as far as we can tell and last same time, so thought they cant have changed the battery since the white ibooks came out, but it would be nice if someone can tell me this is definetely true.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
The battery on the 500mhz is the 42 Wh Lithium ion (M8433G/A)
The battery in the 1ghz is the 50 Wh Lithium ion battery.

I am pretty sure that they are not compatible with each other

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
I'd also guess that the capacity on the 500Mhz's battery is lower than the newer batteries, meaning he wouldn't get the full 4-6hours of battery life...

He should however open up his iBook and paint it with a cool design...that way he's bound to get quite a bit more for the case itself than just selling the standard parts!!!

Do a search on ibook g3 case mods, they aren't that hard to do apparently.

OP
M

missyvortex

Aptmunich said:
I'd also guess that the capacity on the 500Mhz's battery is lower than the newer batteries, meaning he wouldn't get the full 4-6hours of battery life...

He should however open up his iBook and paint it with a cool design...that way he's bound to get quite a bit more for the case itself than just selling the standard parts!!!

Do a search on ibook g3 case mods, they aren't that hard to do apparently.

Actually he already did it - his own mod - with blue glass paint. It has streaked oceany look - not the best but unique and interesiting looking.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Oh cool, well remember to put that in the eBay announcement!

'Cool Customised ocean iBook'

Re: clamshell - normally stuff on eBay goes for more if it's individual in some way... Someone once gave his BROKEN iPod a brushed metal look, and sold the parts individually on eBay - he actually got more for it than the price of a new one...

OP
M

missyvortex

So do you think using the old battery will be detrimental to his new ibook? or will it just not last as long?
Because he's quite keen to still use it even if it doesn't last as long but I'm worried that it could cause a problem/void the warranty - is rather insane fear but if anyone knows scientifically what will happen when you use the lower wattage battery then i'd like to hear.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.