I destroyed my nano! Help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro Santa Rosa 15" 2.4Ghz, 8600M GT 256MB Gfx, 2GB RAM
Hey all,

I got the idea to use my red iPod Nano 2nd gen as an external drive to install ubuntu on, so I wouldn't have to install it on my internal harddrive on my macbook pro. In an attempt to get this working I used diskutil to reformat my ipod as MBRFormat, which did succeed (the ubuntu install however wouldn't work on the ipod), but now I want to restore the iPod to use it as a music device again, and iTunes tells me I can't.

It downloads the software and everything then says there was an unknown error, with the same icon as the 'Device Removal' message you get when you yank out a usb drive.

Is there any way I can manually reformat the iPod and/or restore an image to get it working again? I should have made one myself, doh.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" 1Ghz G4  iPhone 3G  10.5.5
Could try to reset it and then try to restore.
To reset iPod nano:
1. Toggle the Hold switch on and off (slide it to HOLD and then back again).
2. Press and hold the Menu and Center buttons for at least 6 seconds, until the Apple logo appears.
If that doesn't work, it may need repaired.

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It just says 'use iTunes to restore' like it did before, and then the same happens.

There is some very basic blackt & white firmware on the iPod, but I think the firmware is normally stored on the memory which I completely cleared. I don't think the problem lies in being able to write the software, but that iTunes isnt intelligent enough to repartition the iPod.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Will that Nano go into Disk mode? You may be able to reformat with Disk Utility.
Also, do a search for iPod firmware. There are some articles for adding or changing the firmware. Interesting one from ipodwizard.net (need access to a Windows machine though...)

Forgot to ask if Update does anything?

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I can access it using disk utility I just don't know the correct format to format it to. If anyone can help me by connecting their iPod to a mac, going to a terminal (Applications>Utilities), run 'diskutil list' and posting whatever it says for the iPod (should be a disk around 4/8 gb, for the nano 2nd gen obviously), that would probably help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple site says HFS+.

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I tried that though, still there might be a special firmware partition it doesn't mention?

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Alright I got it fixed! Here's what I did for any other users who did something similar:

I connected a working ipod of the same type* and at the moment iTunes asks to erase and sync or cancel it, don't click anything and go to terminal:

Code:
Ge64:~ Ge64$ diskutil list disk1
/dev/disk1
   #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
   0:     Apple_partition_scheme                        *7.6 Gi     disk1
   1:        Apple_partition_map                         124.0 Ki   disk1s1
   2:                 Apple_MDFW                         94.0 Mi    disk1s2
   3:                  Apple_HFS Annemieke’s iPod        3.7 Gi     disk1s3

As you can see there is indeed a firmware partition. What I did now, instead of trying to copy the partition table or something, I made a simple image of the iPod:

Code:
Ge64:~ Ge64$ dd if=/dev/disk1 of=/Volumes/puddle/ipodimg
7929856+0 records in
7929856+0 records out
4060086272 bytes transferred in 1276.644721 secs (3180279 bytes/sec)

Then disconnected the good iPod, inserted the bad iPod, but instead of asking me to sync it iTunes would ask me to restore it (which wouldn't work) so I then did this:

Code:
Ge64:~ Ge64$ diskutil list disk1
/dev/disk1
   #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
   0:     Apple_partition_scheme                        *7.6 Gi     disk1
   1:        Apple_partition_map                         128.0 Ki   disk1s1
   2:                  Apple_HFS iPod                    7.4 Gi     disk1s3
As you can see above, the partition scheme I made is wrong and iTunes can't use it. So:

Code:
Ge64:~ Ge64$ sudo umount -fv /dev/disk1s3
Ge64:~ Ge64$ dd if=/Volumes/puddle/ipodimg of=/dev/disk1
7929856+0 records in
7929856+0 records out
4060086272 bytes transferred in 5460.472913 secs (743541 bytes/sec)

And after that, it worked again!
*= the only catch is, I used a 4gb good iPod for lack of an 8gb one, and now my 8gb iPod turned 4gb. I guess I'll do it again later with a correct iPod, I tried resizing the partition but it won't let me go higher.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.