Quicktime Vs. Quicktime Pro

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBookPro 2.33 GHz, 2 GB Ram 160 GB HDD, 320 GB Time Machine HDD, 750 GB External HDD
What advantages are there in QT Pro over the free QT?

Is there a head to head comparison of the 2 versions that will explain exactly what I gain if I choose to upgrade?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM/320GB HD; BlackBook 2.4Ghz, 2GB RAM/250GB HD
I upgraded to get avi format compatibility.

If you open Quicktime, and you click on the toolbar, you'll notice a lot of the features have been stripped in the free version. To activate, you need to upgrade.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
On the other hand it seems every time Apple bring out a new version, Pro needs to be re-licensed with an additional cost, of course.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
Some of the important ones to me:
Export video in a lot of formats
Extract audio, video, subtitles, mix audio tracks, cut and paste, all that.
Save quicktime trailers and other web video

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBookPro 2.33 GHz, 2 GB Ram 160 GB HDD, 320 GB Time Machine HDD, 750 GB External HDD
Some of the important ones to me:
Export video in a lot of formats
Extract audio, video, subtitles, mix audio tracks, cut and paste, all that.
Save quicktime trailers and other web video

So far this sounds pretty good but is there a side by side comparison that shows both versions with check boxes showing what exactly each version does.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
Here's a small thing I had written for another forum. I thought I'd post it here as well:

Another one of my small time guides. This time I was chilling on some grapes!

Things you can do with Quicktime Pro:

1: Rotate video: Movies shot in portrait mode look great while filming them but look awful once they are on the PC. How does one rotate? Quicktime Pro. Just open the video, hit Command+J and select the video track at the top. Then just hit the rotate buttons and you're done! No need for rendering and all that.

2: Add your watermark. Just create a Jpeg with whatever watermark you want. Black, will reveal, and white will block. So if you want video playing in a text "Goobi", just type out Goobi in photoshop in black and save it. Just remember the video crops to the black edges, so it's best to add a 1 px stroke to the outline of the image.

3: Extract audio from a video: Again, in movie properties, select the soundtrack, and hit Extract. Then save that.

4: Add chapters to a movie: There's a nice little guide prepared by apple. Just search for "creating chapters" in the help. You then get a nice little drop down list to select your chapters. Useful for music concerts and such.

5: Add audio to track: Open your video track. Then open your audio track. Do a command+A, and then Command+C to copy the audio track. Highlight the video track and hit Edit > Add to Movie. Add to movie and Scale makes your audio fit the video by slowing it down. You can do it the other way as well, that is, add video to the audio track.

As for side by side comparison, I'm not sure where you will find it. Check out the Apple page on Quicktime Pro as well to get a good idea of what stuff there is in there...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.