which one? new ibook or old powerbook????

I

i love macs

is it the current 1.2ghz ibook a better deal than the old 1ghz powerbook with dvd burner? there is more memory in the powerbook and im told they should be about equal in speed therefore.i would be using it for design programes. things like the computer weight and battery life are not important to me as it will be at home most of the time

any opinions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Either way, you should probably upgrade the memory. So I wouldn't consider that too strongly when making a decison.

Also, a PowerBook can drive a higher-resolution external monitor. The iBook can only mirror the internal display.*

*Unless you hack it

OP
M

m1k

I suggest getting the old PowerBook. They're really solidly built, and in my opinion they're more solid than the iBooks. Everything just feels more solid. You're losing a bit of speed, sure, but you gain widescreen, mirroring, etc.

Go for the PowerBook.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
In this situation I would probably go with the powerbook if you're looking at the 14" iBook WITHOUT the superdrive option...

The speed difference should be negligible and the superdrive is worth it IMO.
But are you talking about a 12" or 15" powerbook?
If screen size is an issue, then it should also be taken into consideration that the 15" powerbook supports 1280 x 7.. resolution whilst the iBook can only display 1024 x 768 max. resolution...

OP
I

i love macs

the old powerbook is 15inch.

i will be getting into digital animation soon as part of my course, will these computers be able to handle this? or should i be considering a new powerbook? i am a student so money is an issue, but i do want a computer that will last. ah its just so confusing! help please.

OP
I

i love macs

ok, ive decided on the old powerbook. the screen is just so much nicer. i dont care that the new ibooks have superdrive

im just wondering how much ram i need? is 512 enough?

OP
T

The mac 13

i love macs said:
ok, ive decided on the old powerbook. the screen is just so much nicer. i dont care that the new ibooks have superdrive

im just wondering how much ram i need? is 512 enough?

it depends what r u using the pb for..if you are using for normal sch work, of internet surfing, 512 is enough..but if you are in the media(video editing, audio n photoshop) use 1gb, GOOD enough.. hey mayb the 1gb will compasiate twice the speed! :mac:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.