• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Penryn iMac and Mac mini a few weeks away?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D 27" W/ MAGIC MOUSE,iPhone 3GS
I found this article and found it to be very interesting:
Apple is readying to release an improved version of both its iMac and Mac mini lineups by the next few weeks, sources indicated MacScoop.

A Penryn refresh

The refresh will mainly bring Intel's 45nm Penryn chip accross the line for both the iMac and the Mac mini, MacScoop was told.

The Mac mini's Intel GMA 950 integrated graphics chip should also be replaced by the GMA X3100 currently used in the MacBook and the MacBook Air. MacScoop couldn't obtain specific information regarding the graphic chips we may expect in the forthcoming iMacs.

Though we don't have a precise release date, we expect the iMac and the Mac mini refreshes to happen within the next four weeks, inventory clearing being the only constraint.
Full article is here:
http://www.macscoop.com/articles/2008/03/06/penryn-imac-and-mac-mini-few-weeks-away

Reaction score
It would be really nice if they upgrade graphic chip at least on the top of the line iMac. That's one thing that bothers me about the iMac. They put great processor in there and give you 1-2 up to 4 GB of memory (which is also great) and than totally mediocre GPU.

They at leas should offer as an option a better GPU.

OP
ibookmobile007
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D 27" W/ MAGIC MOUSE,iPhone 3GS
I agree.Maybe they will offer one.Only time will tell the true tell of this event and others

Reaction score
I sure hope they come out with a new iMac soon. I really need one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
The difference in speed between Merom and Penryn are miniscule. Intel only want to introduce them quickly so they can convert their facilities to soley 45nm manufacture for cost reasons.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac pro Quad Xeon; 15" Retina Macbook Pro; macbooks (family); Macbook pro 17"; intel & G4 iMacs.
The site is down, maybe something is going on about this .....

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.