Minor details...stuff they don't mention in the specs

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air 1.8 Ghz, 64GB SSD, iMac 24"Core2Extreme, iPhone 8GB, iPod Classic 80GB
I've had my MacBook Air for a few weeks now and I'd just like to point out some of the 'minor details' of my experience with it.

Screen angle:
The angle at which the screen can no longer bend back is quite limiting. although this is a problem with other apple notebooks due to the hinge design, it is even more so on the MBA. It's spent at about 110 degrees(not measured, just a guess, so sorry if it's out).

USB Port:
This is not about the singularity of it, but rather about the physical restriction of space. Of my two USB memory sticks, the one that fits is the broken one. This is just another reason to get a hub, not good for ultraportability. Plus, to open it you have to pick it up, just a bit inconvenient.

Border round the screen:
The rubber rim to cushion the screen is quite strange, and it looks weird towards the hinge.(can't really describe it)

Fan:
The fan can come on quite frequently, even when doing simple word processing. Can be quite loud and annoying.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.2 Ghz 2GB Ram 120 GB HD
More reasons why i still do not like the air.... sorry to all the air lovers but i just don't like it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt
my biggest thing with the air is its just way overpriced. For similar money, your in MBP territory already. Lets face it, the MBP is the clear winner there.

Reaction score
Not so clear clear cut

I appreciate your point of view but I must disagree. What you should say is based on the price your needs merit the purchase of a MBP. The machines are so different that really the comparison can't be made straight across the board. For the type of work I do and as a student I don't find myself needing a MBP. The MBA easily handles all that I demand from it, lots of internet usage, basic office functions, pictures, music, and the like. I think the MBP is an amazing machine but the added weight to get the added power I just don't need for this type of machine makes the MBP not as good of an option for me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.2 Ghz 2GB Ram 120 GB HD
The only comment i have for you tdl is what if you run out of space? You say you have alot of media (pic, music, vid?) Then you are having to lug around more weight for an external drive. And if weight is an issue for you, why not consider the Macbook? Its lighter and most likely you will have a bag for whatever computer you do get... Might i add that it is cheeper and can do more with more power and storage space. Sorry if I do sound mean but I just want to get the opinion from a real owner...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP - Penryn 2.4ghz
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro w/ 2.4 GHz C2D, 4 GB RAM, 250 GB
I actually had my first experience with the MacBook Air today. I had to go to the Apple Store and I used one while I was there. It seemed ok, and I admit that it is quite small, but I have to say that I found the track pad VERY annoying. The click button is way too small. Other than that, I can't see paying more for a notebook that can't do as much (MBP). I understand that it's very small, but were any of you using a notebook 4 years ago? 6? 8? They were BIG! The MacBook Pro is NOT big. Just my .02.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
It's not that the MBP is big, it's just that it's not AS portable as the Macbook or Macbook Air.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air 1.8 Ghz, 64GB SSD, iMac 24"Core2Extreme, iPhone 8GB, iPod Classic 80GB
The whole point of the macbook air is the portability, not the power. Sure you can get a great mbp for the price, but is it portable, not REALLY. And its heavy(er) aswell. I don't know about others but the loss of weight is really nice, but you still have a good size screen, keyboard and decent power (1.8 was really good a few years ago, i suppose times have changed)

I said in my review a few weeks ago i didn't like the black keys, but they've really come round to me, they look great.(completely unrelated i know, but i thught i'd mention it)

Reaction score
my biggest thing with the air is its just way overpriced. For similar money, your in MBP territory already. Lets face it, the MBP is the clear winner there.

I already have a MBP and with the same amount of money that a MBA cost, I bought a iMac and upgraded the RAM to 3GB.

I played with a MBA last weekend when I bought my iMac and was not happy with the screen on the air. It looked the same as the screen on the MacBook. The colors looked sort of washed out whereas the colors in the iMac were bright and crisp. I was in simply in the mood to buy another Mac last weekend and it could have been anything. If the air had a better display I may have bought it or I may have bought a MacBook, I don't know. All I know is the iMac won with it's display.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Pretty cool you can buy stuff just cos you're 'in the mood'.

Not arguing, just curious, what is wrong with the mba display in your opinion?

Reaction score
Pretty cool you can buy stuff just cos you're 'in the mood'.

Not arguing, just curious, what is wrong with the mba display in your opinion?

The colors didn't seem bright, it seemed like they were dull and washed out, just like the MacBook. It could have been the lights in BestBuy but that doesn't explain why the displays on the iMacs were so colorful and bright and crisp.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Interesting...

still happy with it though,

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4, iMac, 5th gen iPod, All of my other iMacs have been turned into aquariums!
The Air might be lighter and "super portable" but I personally don't think I could live with the restriction of having no optical drive, fire wire 400/800, one usb, and 80G of HD. If I'm traveling to a friends house or across the country I would like to have every connection possible. You never know what you may want to plug into your machine. As far as the weight, sure the Air is "super portable" but I've never had to go somewhere and think to myself, "I would sure love to bring my laptop along....but it's 2 pounds too heavy and i just don't think I can do it. I think if you want the most use out of a notebook the MBP is the way to go. You never know what you will use it for in the future.

nZa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8Ghz MBP
If the Macbook Air was designed to be appealing to everyone, they'd call it a Macbook.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0 uni
I find the screen brighter and clearer then my macbook and macbook pro, loving it more each day!

Reaction score
I fail to see the point of the MBA, will there ever be a time when you NEED to put it in an envelope anyway? It seems like something that would break very easily.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.