New error on Homepage.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Gigabit 400 Single. 40GB , 1.25GB RAM. OS 10.4.11 Tiger
Today, I get a message on Safari start to the effect, The page "************"
has content of MIME type "applications/x-oleobject". Because you don't have a plugin installed for this MIME type, this content can't be displayed.
Is this a change made by the site, or something going on in Tiger that needs help?
Restarting the Mac, as well as safari, makes no change, nor does repairing permissions.
What displayed as my "normal" home page yesterday, now has missing or frozen video clips. (local news and weather).
Tried Camino, Seamonkey, & Opera. None display the video, leading me to think it's a site change rather than the machine.
Any help out there ?

Reaction score
MIME type "applications/x-oleobject".

What homepage is this? Looks like there is some windows only stuff on there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" 1Ghz G4  iPhone 3G  10.5.5
Today, I get a message on Safari start to the effect, The page "************"
has content of MIME type "applications/x-oleobject". Because you don't have a plugin installed for this MIME type, this content can't be displayed.
Is this a change made by the site, or something going on in Tiger that needs help?
Restarting the Mac, as well as safari, makes no change, nor does repairing permissions.
What displayed as my "normal" home page yesterday, now has missing or frozen video clips. (local news and weather).
Tried Camino, Seamonkey, & Opera. None display the video, leading me to think it's a site change rather than the machine.
Any help out there ?
The application/x-oleobject MIME type is the MIME type of Windows Media Player ActiveX control. ActiveX controls only work in Internet Explorer for Windows. It won't work with the Mac OS version of Internet Explorer either. ActiveX is made by MS and only for Windows.
So I'd say they changed the site...:Shouting::eek:

Have you tried Firefox? I believe the older version "Firebird" used to work. ?
http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/internet_utilities/mozillafirefox.html
http://www.oldapps.com/firebird.htm

MIME type "applications/x-oleobject".

What homepage is this? Looks like there is some windows only stuff on there.
The OLE is an acronym which means Object Linking and Embedding. It's a Windows technology which is designed to make it impossible for non-windows computers to work with it.

OP
fred
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
harryb2448.
That link confused me to death. Over my head I'm afraid. The site's been working fine until yesterday.

cradom.
The site is just the homepage for a local news channel, and they do frequently change the format and layout, so I'd say it's time for a new home page.

Soulwar.
Yeah, through searching, I've learned as much about the "windows only" thing.
I did try Firefox as well, but the newest download. It failed as well.

This windows only stuff is for the birds. It's the internet, why can't folks design sites to be compatible with all computers.
Specific hardware and software is fine I guess to a point, but to make a site essentially useless to all but "windows" users is ludicrous.
Gates has plenty of money without trying to monopolize the internet too.

Think I'll send a message to the webmaster of this site in question and complain (though I know it will be a futile waste of time).

OP
fred
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Before I get on a soapbox with these folks, here is a link to the site.
I have a pc and it works fine on this site, so obviously this is for mac users only to test.
http://wfie.com/
Check it out and reply here as to if you can view the entire site correctly, and any errors you may get.
I'll use the the number of folks with issues in my message (numbers only, no info as to who, or even this site will be given).

M

MacHeadCase

Excellent idea to complain to the webmaster. I've done it on a few occasion too in the past.

The internet was intended for being usable no matter which computer platform you use. Now we have come to this... :Angry-Tongue:

Reaction score
Using Firefox, I had no problem at the posted link. The news movie clips played and everything else showed up — after turning off NoScript and Adblock and turning on popups, Java, JavaScript and the referrer.

The page, though, is a dog's breakfast, and lists appear and disappear with mouse rollovers. Awful.

Reaction score
Hmm...
Loads fine here with only one error, an XML page not found.
Using Safari 3.0.4 on Tiger.

OP
fred
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Maybe it's this mac then.
I got nothing from any browser.
Safari 3.0.4 was the one that gave the error, the others just refused to show anything without a reason why.
Thanks for the testing so far. Good thing I chose this instead of jumping on the soapbox (in the soapdish?) looking foolish (er).:Oops: :Smirk:
I have been tinkering quite a bit while learning Tiger, it's possible I hosed something in the last couple days without knowing.
Ah well, a clean reinstall is good practice. I've not saved anything special so it's no loss.
Seems like a good thing to do on a cold snowy day anyway.:)

LOL Brown Study. They change the layout so often, you never know what it's going to look like from day to day.
Dog's breakfast, or a box of chocolates, it's always different.

M

MacHeadCase

There was a window that did not load for me as well this a.m. when I tried the link but now it loads. I had a message that Flip4Mac could not handle the video, etc.

The only error message I still get in the Activity window says, about the link :

Yeah that page is horrendous. Bleh.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Loading just fine but lookout for that storm!

OP
fred
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Loading just fine but lookout for that storm!
LOL, Thanks, but it's over for now. Got "most" it yesterday, last night, and this morning.
4-6 inches is really nothing, but it shuts this place down.
I was working 2 hours away yesterday, and it took me three to get home.
Bad part was speed limit was fine (roads just wet), but others chose 25MPH because it was snowing so hard.
Snow above freezing temps. melts pretty quick (especially since last Sunday it was 70 degrees). It's the ice storms that'll pooch you if you let them.
I like snow (it's "pretty"), but despise ice.
Rather be down there in the warmth and sun.

On the PC for now (hate closing the error every time). Gonna wait on the Tiger re-install for some bigger drives, possibly better vid. card, and proc. upgrade.
Got the taxes done a couple days ago, and need to see how much of it the wifey leaves for "cave upgrades". :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.