What DVD Burners Can I Use?

Reaction score
Please if anyone can just tell me which DVD Burners i can use with my Mini Mac. Can i use any? If so, which one should i get.....

Also if i plug a DVD Burner into my Mini Mac will it just notice it and enable me to Burn a disc straight away or will i have to assign each program to use that drive......Please any help on this subject would be greatly appreciated! Thanks..

Here is one i am thinking of getting. Is it a good idea?

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/6753234/Trail/searchtext%3EWRITER.htm

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Makes no mention of Mac compatibility only Windows.

Why not use a drive Apple use in their machines such as Pioneer, LG or Matsui?

The Mini will notice it if it is compatible and/or software installed from the CD. You will be able to burn a disc using Disk Utility, Toast and other applications.

Do a Google.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core 2 Duo, PPC G4
If you're using an external FW drive, stay clear of a USB only DVD drive. I have an external LG DVD drive and it won't work on USB if I have a FW drive connected to my Mini. Luckily, my DVD drive also has a FW port - it works fine with FW.

LaCie has a good reputation for Mac-compatible drives. EZQuest also has Mac-compatible drives that come with software for the Mac.

Another warning - check that the drive is hot pluggable. Not all DVD drives are (mine isn't) and that can prove to be an inconvenience if you don't want your DVD drive connected all the time.

If you find a drive that you like, contact the manufacturer directly for information on Mac support. Some manufacturers, like Samsung, will tell you that they don't support Mac computers. I'd stay clear of those products.

Claire

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 duo, 1GB 667Mhz DDR2 SDRAM running Leopard
Come on guys, please any information will do!

Am I reading this right - this message was posted seven minutes after the original posting?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.