is this what it is supposed to sound like?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" G4 Powerbook & 80g iPod classic
First off, let me tell everyone, I love my new mac. Not two weeks after I got it, I had to send my PC to the shop to get fixed. For now, I am running completely off my powerbook and it is fantastic!

Now, the real question. When I insert a CD in to the drive, my computer makes a lot of racket. Whirring, clicking, robotic noises. They only happen when the cd is loading and ejecting. Not during actual use. Is that normal? I figure that it is, since it is not an ejectable tray drive. But, I thought that I would ask, just to make sure.

M

m1k

Well, it's normal for the PowerBook to make lots of noise when the CD is in the drive (every PowerBook does that, don't worry :)), but it shouldn't click in normal use. I guess it is a sort of clicking noise it makes when you eject the CD, but it shouldn't click when in use.

I think your PowerBook is normal, unless it's clicking when the CD is actually in the drive. Then you have a problem, you should probably take it into your local Apple store.

Good luck!

I

iSheep

I think your PowerBook is normal. Unless you and me both have faulty models. I put a disk in, it makes clicking and funny noises, I got worried the first time and then the paranoia disappeared

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Yes, it's supposed to sound as though it's shredding your cd into millions of little pieces, iBooks do that as well...

But it scared me ****less too the first time I put my beloved limited editition smashing pumpkins cd in there to rip...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.